Way to protect sensitive nub

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
townsendt1

Way to protect sensitive nub

Post by townsendt1 »

Hi!
My dog, Buddy, had his front right leg amputated after being hit by a car. He has since healed and has no trouble getting around.

The problem is that he keeps bumping/bruising his nub when he lays down. I have had the entire house re-carpeted with extra thick padding. However, the problem persists.

His stump seems to be quite sensitive. I am looking for a way to cover it so it is protected from pain and bruising.

I have been unable to find anything that will strap securely around him, protect the nub and stay in place.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am interested in any and all info.
Thanks!!
Teresa R. Townsend
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Re: Way to protect sensitive nub

Post by Bendy Kitty »

hmmm
could you make a protective wrap and put a shoulder strap on it that goes over his back and around the other leg?
That is one of the ways my braces were held on. the other way was taking a strip of first aid tape and putting it on my leg (going down), leaving a length unattached, then wrapping the brace over it and taking the loose end of the tape and sticking it to the outside of the brace. this helped my brace not slide down.
hm, hope that made sense.

sometimes people end up getting th nub removed, but hopefully you can help him out with a sleeve of somekind!

headbonks and purrs

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
townsendt1

Post by townsendt1 »

Thanks, Bendy!
Yes, the advice you gave me did make sense and I really appreciate the reply.
After I figured out what you were telling me, I had several ideas based on your advice.
I'm thinking of trying to use an adult knee pad to cover the nub and velcro straps. In my mind's eye, it works beautifully.
Thanks for the reply and the great advice!
Teresa
Teresa R. Townsend
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

There could be a million solutions to the problem. I suggest you prowl stores and yard sales, keeping an open mind to possibilities. Fiddle around, find something that works, and post pics and directions for the next critter in a similar situation. :)
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

glad to help!
at this point we think that we can fix anything with vet wrap!
:)

critters is right, too, keep scoping stores, yard sales etc, you never know when you'll see something and say "hey, that could be handy!"

headbonks and purrs

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
townsendt1

Post by townsendt1 »

Dear Critters,
Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to be on the look out. You never know, I could find the perfect answer anywhere at anytime.
Thanks again!
Teresa
townsendt1

Post by townsendt1 »

Bendy,
Vet Wrap! Another great idea.
Thanks for the advice;
Teresa