Concerns re newly acquired amputee, german short-hair

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Three-petal Daisy

Concerns re newly acquired amputee, german short-hair

Post by Three-petal Daisy »

We just acquired a german short-hair who had been abused as a puppy and had to have her left foreleg amputated a few years ago. She is now 27 months and we are the third owner. Never having experienced a disabled dog, and recently losing our rotti-mix to bone cancer at only 6 years old, I am very concerned about the proper treatment of Daisy, our new family member. She is very active, and people marvel at her ability to run and play as though she had all four legs. I just need some advice about how much exercise she should have, as I am worried about the pressure being put on the one leg. Today I bought a harness that goes across the chest, a nylon one and seems to be working fine and much easier to manage her in and out of the car and so forth. Also, I have read some of the entries here about traveling safely in a car. I was at our local pet shop today and thought about getting one of the new soft fabric carriers to put in the back of our Subaru Forester. But if anyone has any other suggestions, I sure would like to hear about them. Also am wondering about food. Since my rotti died I have been so concerned about dietary needs. I have Daisy on Natural Choice, but then I have heard about the raw diet being the best and also to change food every now and then. It is confusing. I hope someone will be able to help me with these concerns. Thank you so much for this site.
A german-short hair,
alas, a leg short
but not in spirit
Christine

Re: Concerns re newly acquired amputee, german short-hair

Post by Christine »

Good morning...and welcome to the board. I know there was a post giving a list of all the good foods as well as a test to help you determine how to judge the quality of the food. One of our board wizards probably knows exactly where those are and will let you know soon..

My Bailey is the size of a medium shepherd and I drive a small car. When we go to the vet (which is the only time she rides), I fill the back seat with big pillows and quilts so if she get jostled, she falls into something soft and only a few inches. If you are a sewer, maybe you could make the soft carrier yourself. I have found some thick quilts and even a great padded sleeping bag at a local thrift store that I have turned into doggy bedding - Bailey loves her pink sleeping bag!

Good luck with your new baby, Daisy...I am sure she will ease the loss of your rotti.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
ems736336

Post by ems736336 »

Hi Christine and German Shorthair,
I posted the information about the food and it is in the 'Other Problems' Forum back about September 25th I think. It is partially what pushed me to changing my food as the one we were on was not as good as it should have been.
I remember a three legged dog from my childhood (many more years ago than I really want anyone to know!) that did a great job of being a three-legged dog (he was missing a front leg) for about 10 years of me knowing him. He was a black lab and he lived at the horse stables up the road. He was fully grown when I met him so he probably lived a great life for at least 13 years. He did everything from going on the trail rides to riding in horse trailers to leaping in and out of pick up truck beds. He was neither pampered or coddled and did just fine.
If that could happen 50 + years ago, certainly dogs today can do it too!
Good luck with your three legged guy!
tessa

Post by tessa »

g'day three petal daisy...and welcome!

we're a three-legged dog family here, which is a new development. i, too, was worried about how much activity i should let my xena do and here's what the vet told me:
let her do as much as she wants. she's the authority. but, he said, be prepared...because when she's finished, she'll just lie down, and you might be a long way from home!
so now i never take her for a walk without my mobile phone and a mental list of who i know who might be at home! LOL. only once did she actually lie down...and i just waited a few moments for her to get her breath back, and then she got up and walked the rest of the way home.

as for food...because xena has bone cancer...she has been put on the atkins diet. apparantly, cancer feeds on carbs....and so the idea is to feed the dog and not the cancer and i must say, she's really enjoying the new diet! i mostly feed her hills diet n/d and sausages. sausages down here are cheap as chips and fit for human consumption.

as for the car...i have a hatchback. i've put one of her beds in the back and she sits on that and sometimes lies down, though she prefers to sit and look out the windows. i lift her in and out...and so far, no worries. she's not fallen over yet from my driving, though i do take the corners as slowly as i think traffic will let me get away with.
we drive a lot.
Amy

Post by Amy »

Daisy is so lucky to have found you as a family. My Tyler recently had his front leg amputated. As far as how much to excercise, it really depends on the dog. Tyler has good days and bad days. He is 11 years old and has some arthritis. Some days he will go with no trouble and other days he poops out and like Tessa said once he is done, he is done and has to be carried home. I can generally tell when he starts off if it is a good day or not. If he starts slow we don't go too far. Daisy is a lot younger so I would think she woould be able to handle a lot more than Tyler. Milo's mom might be a good person to ask as Milo is younger and had his amputation due to an injury not a tumor or cancer like some of us. Not sure if the tumor or cancer makes a difference or not.
As far as food, Tyler eats the Natural Choice and has for many years. He has dry food in the morning, the one for Seniors with glucosamine in it and wet at night. We change the wet food occasionally when he gets tired of it.

Hope this helps.
ponycobbler

Post by ponycobbler »

Wow, good for Daisy!

I only wanted to comment on the car situation. Dory is a fat Frenchie missing a back wheel. She can't curl up in the car, they don't curl! So when we had a long drive to Houston, I rigged up the front seat of the truck.

I got an old couch cushion, took the upholstry off so I just had the thick foam and used a bread knife to carve it to the best shape. You can even contour it like the shape of the seat bottom.
I also supported the part that went to the dashboard with a milk crate, so it stays level and I don't worry about her hitting the floor. (Now I also use a connector to the seatbelt.)
I just covered it with an old fleece blanket, and she can sit to see out or lie down stretched out.
Hey, it's just something else to think about. You'll do great!
Who knew a three-legged dog could be so much fun?
Steff and the fab Dory
miloshko

Post by miloshko »

Hello,

I have a very active 5 yr old labrador (only when he's outside, otherwise he is very passive). He lost his front leg about 3 months ago and when I asked the vet about his exercise, he said "as much as he wanted." He's been to dog parks, central park, beaches, swimming and it takes a lot to get him tired. He also goes up and down stairs without any trouble.

Because he is a labrador (= food lover) he was overweight before the amputation, and since they carry most of the weight in the front, we put him on a diet after the amputation. We give him weight-control iams and baby carrots as treats, although Tessa mentioned that only labradors would take baby carrots as treats :D :D :D .
tessa

Post by tessa »

one unexpected outcome of the cancer/amputation then transition to the atkins diet...is that xena seems to be turning into a lab. i swear...she's just about ready to accept carrots as treats. ;)