Recent amputation - cat

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
calvgirl2006

Recent amputation - cat

Post by calvgirl2006 »

Hello,
My 12 1/2 year old cat just went through a hind-leg amputation. Anyone has any tips on what I can do to help him recover and adjust as quickly as possible?
Thank you!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Recent amputation - cat

Post by critters »

Just give him time--kitties are VERY resourceful, even old ones!! :D You might want to consider a walking aid, given his age, but, if he's like most, he'll want to do it HIMSELF, and he'll find a way to do it.
maynardsmom

Post by maynardsmom »

Hi, We have Maynard, a two year old tripod -- rear leg amputation. He gets around extremely well. He, of course, does have a limp, which is more pronounced when he is tired. He doesn't jump as high as the other cats, so we have placed "steps" up to places we think he would enjoy. He gets along very well with our other cats and our (rather large) dog -- they don't appear to notice that he is any different. Maynard is strictly an indoor kitty (as are all of our cats).

Do you have other cats or dog(s)? Any special concerns or questions?
maynardsmom

Post by maynardsmom »

Hi, I was just wondering how you and your kitty are doing?