Hi everyone.

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
luv7pets

Hi everyone.

Post by luv7pets »

Hi I am new to the group. I have a dog named Sophie who had her leg amputated 15 months ago due to bone cancer. I was reading some of your posts and thought I'd mention the great success that we have had with stairs that we bought from in the company of dogs for getting in and out of the car. We have a mini-van so we took the back seats out of the rear and stash doggie and stairs in the back of the car. Also we have one of those flexible pens for the rear of car that I wrap around her bed and secure. The pen is low enough so that a medium sized dog can still stand and see over the top of the pen and look out of the window while you are driving. If they stumble the sides of the pen which are fabric (so no hurting sore spots) catches their hiney and they are able to ease down onto the nice soft bed that the pen is wrappes around.
Amy

Re: Hi everyone.

Post by Amy »

Hi Luv7pets,

Thanks so much for the information. I am thinking of getting the steps for my Tyler. right now I am lifting him in and out and it's good to hear the steps work well. Can I ask what kind of dog Sophie is? And what type of pen do you use? Is it one made for the van?
Thanks,
Amy
Christine

Post by Christine »

Coul you possibly post either a link to the fabric sided pen or a photo here? Thanks!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
luv7pets

Post by luv7pets »

Hi, I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner I had to ask my fiancée how to post a link and I worked late last night. My name is Aileen by the way. Sophie is a rottweiler, and the pen is not made for a van but it works well. You can remove panels to make it smaller if need be to wrap tightly around your dog's bed. Here is the link, I hope it helps. It's the Noztonoz Exercise Sof-Pen.

http://www.sitstay.com/cgi-bin/sdisp.cgi/EQFPI.lg.jpg

http://www.sitstay.com/store/equip/xpens.shtml
Erk

Post by Erk »

Hi luv7pets!

I lost Toffee in April-- 5 months after her amputation due to bone cancer. I'm thrilled that you are getting so much "bonus time" with Sophie!!!

I still check in here from time to time. I got a lot of support during those 5 months and when I lost her. Their courage is inspiring, isn't it? It makes me feel good to check in here! Good people here!

Anyway, it apprears Sophie is in the clear. Yah! Best wishes to you both and here's to many more years for her!
luv7pets

Post by luv7pets »

Thank you for your good wishes I'm sorry to hear about your dog. It's not easy. We truly are grateful for every minute we have with her. My name is Aileen by the way.
luvin mom

Post by luvin mom »

Hi Aileen.... I to have a rott named Sophie she is 13 years old and had a right hind leg amputation in July due to bone cancer... we have our good days and bad...things aren't so good now..she blew the acl on the good leg a couple months back....Just wanted to say Hello..