to tessa and xena

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Christine

to tessa and xena

Post by Christine »

I just read your latest blog and I am so sorry about Xena's foot!! Have you thought about Benadryl for her allergies? I realize how many things she is already on, but wondering if the vet has thought of that if it would not interfere with her other meds. Also wonder if there is something you could spray on her foot that would numb the itching without making her sick if she licked it. She has overcome so much, it is just not right that a stupid allergy could cause all this discomfort for her and you. Sending prayers for bye, bye itchies!!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
tessa

Re: to tessa and xena

Post by tessa »

thanks christine. the vet told us to use the prednisone, and we are, and it really does help...but we're trying to use it as little as possible because of its immune suppression qualities...and xena's white count is already so low from the chemo.
i'll ask again about the benedryl...but xena has only one more chemo treatment to go, and then after that (well, about a MONTH after that) her immune system should be strong again and she can fight off the stupid foot-cracking effects of this allergy. it's heartbreaking to have to keep her locked inside all day with nothing to do. except cuddle, that is. but even that bores her after a while.

she's going a lot better today and has been cooperative and not ripped the skin off the bottom of her foot today and it's looking about 70% better already so, better days ahead, i'm sure.

thanks for the well-wishes.