Took my Jack for a VAS related amputation today.

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Everpro

Took my Jack for a VAS related amputation today.

Post by Everpro »

He is 11 years old and 17 lbs. His left hind leg will be amputated today. I am really nervous and feel badly for him but everyone says he'll adjust fine. My question is how long will it take for him to learn to walk again? What will his 'walking' look like? Will he just hop?

Did anyone have a problem with their pet biting the amputation site?
Everpro

Re: Took my Jack for a VAS related amputation today.

Post by Everpro »

Just got off of the phone with the surgeon. A leg amputation will not get the tumor cleanly so he will not have his leg amputated. The location was too close to his abdomen. The best they can do is try to remove as much of the tumor as possible and hope for the best. I would have never thought I'd be hoping for an amputation (and clean removal of the tumor) over this.
tessa

Post by tessa »

i'm so sorry, everpro.
will jack receive any other treatment? radiation? chemo?
there is more than one way to tackle the problem, i'm sure.
BethT

Post by BethT »

Hi,

I am so sorry about Jack's VAS. My 14 year old cat Speck died over the summer 2 days after her amputation for a fibrosarcoma tumor. Apparently she had an underlying heart condition that had not been detected and the surgery was just too much for her. At that time I came across a very helpful group online for people with cats that have VAS. If you have not come across the site I copied the link below. Lots of really great info from people living through the same thing you are. Please check it out if you haven't all ready. Good luck.
Beth

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline_VAS_Support/