Timber update and questions

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
artica02

Timber update and questions

Post by artica02 »

I posted previously about Timber. He is now just over 3 weeks post rear leg amputation. He is 12 and otherwise healthy (no arthritis) and has done quite well. After a week or so he was running around the yard and was doing well on shorter walks.

However, over the past couple days he has become fatigued on walks much sooner than a week or so ago and we need to take several sit/lay down breaks. He is having more trouble going up stairs also and has fallen on initiation of going up a # of times. He has his same spunky personality, doesn't seem depressed, and is eating well. He still really wants to go for walks and barks at me to tell me it is time to go.

Is this typical? Perhaps his remaining rear leg has just overdone it and the hopping is taking a toll. I think I will shorten his walks and activity further for now--though he won't be happy about that. He doesn't really seem in pain but I gave him some Rimadyl tonight in hopes that might help a bit.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Lynn
Christine

Re: Timber update and questions

Post by Christine »

Hi Lynn,

Glad to hear Timber is doing well after his amputation. Sounds like a lot of us - just doesn't want to slow down enough to let things heal. I am not the medicine expert, but you might want to read about Rimadyl and side effects. Tramadal (sp) has been mentioned as a safer medication for pain in addition to some natural supplements to support the new stress on his remaining legs - fish oil capsules, glucosamine, etc. (Back for a second time - I went back to read more about Timber and see that you have this under control and are aware of the supplements - great stuff, huh?)

Again...I am not as knowlegeable as some of the other members, but Rimadyl scares me.

Take care.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
tessa

Post by tessa »

hi lynn...
sorry, i haven't been around for a few days and didn't see your message sooner.

timber will start to lose some of his tone now, i think. when xena first had her ampuation...she was able to go on longer walks than she can now. i think this is because with the general lessening of activity...she's lost muscle bulk and no longer has that kind of stamina. i've learned to accept this change in our lives...and try to drive her to the places we used to walk to instead. then i can let her out to do the play she so loves...and she's not knackered from the getting there.

some of us amputee mums have experienced awkwardness and the falling over of our beloved dogs. i'm lucky on that count, because xena has always been a very very careful girl...and she's only ever slipped over at the vet's (who insists on keeping the shiniest, slipperyest floors imaginable) but others have observed their dogs falling over with some frequency.

actually...i'd say your experience with timber doesn't seem out of the ordinary. karla was remarking in another thread that milo is also slowing down, so perhaps this is normal.
if he's happy and well, i wouldn't worry too much about it.

glad to hear he's donig okay! (how are YOU?)
artica02

Post by artica02 »

Thanks Tessa and Christine!
I've read some websites that suggested your dog will hardly know the leg is gone and will be back to his usual activity in no time. I think this may not be totally realistic with my older dog. We took the day off from walking yesterday and boy was he anxious to go today. We kept it a bit shorter but he seemed to do better.

Fortunately this doesn't seem to get him down, I guess I am the one who needs to adjust some more. The driving idea is a good one and I'll try that. I've also gotten permission from some neighbors to take a short cut through their yards to an area where he can roam around on his extend-a-leash and still keep the walk fairly short.

Christine, I hear you about the Rimadyl. I tried Tramadol and even 1/2 tab knocked him out for several hours. I think I'll stick with the glucosamine and add 1/2 a buffered aspirin as needed.

Thanks again for your insight (and for just letting me get this off my chest).
Lynn
Last edited by artica02 on Tue May 08, 2007 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tessa

Post by tessa »

lynn...another thing i should have mentioned, is that we're living under the 'good days/bad days' protocol in this house.
watch closely...and you may see it too. there are clearly good days, clearly bad days, and a few confusing days in the middle. we find...we're getting a bad day, on average, one in four days. we get good days at the same rate.
the thing that scares us most...is that sometimes there are two bad days in a row. then we give xena some prednisone, and that usually results in two very good days in a row...then we go back into the regular routine of good days/bad days.
we only have to give the prednisone about once a month.

i would love if some of the other amputee moms watched these cycles with their bubs to see if there is some kind of pattern we all share.
that would be interesting to find out.
artica02

Post by artica02 »

Thanks Tessa,
I'll watch and see if I can note a pattern. 3 pretty good days in a row so far.

Timber will be getting massage therapy tomorrow and I'll be interested to see how that goes. There is a member of our local Humane Society who is trying to start a business and she has offered this to Timber for free as her first client.

Pet lovers are good people!
Lynn