Willow's Story

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Evie

Willow's Story

Post by Evie »

Hi Guys,

What a wonderful resource to have here! :D I wish I had known of such a place when my bitvh, Willow had her leg amputated a year ago.

Brief history:
we adopted her from the local vets at about 6-7 months old. She had been found wandering the streets with a broken leg. When handed into the vtes they operated and reckoned the leg was broken for about a month before hand. We had her about a week when the splint was due to come off and she got an xray. They realised there was no healing taking place and decided to try external fixators. I wasn't keen, but decided to give it a try. A week on from this op and Willow was in a lot of pain and not putting any weight on it. At this point we decided the best thing to do was amputate.

It was distressing to see her following the op with drains sticking out, esp for my two young kids. But Willow's strengh of character and determination to get on with life and enjoy it to the full was/is an inspiration to us all.

One year on she has never looked back. She out runs most of the dogs at the park (being a whippet x) and enjoys lots of rough in tumble with her partner in crime, a jrt called Archie.

Her is her story;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb0gF3c5Efg
Evie

Post by Evie »

Ha, that video has been up for awhile now.....
my daughter has just pointed out that I have the dates as 2007 instead of 2006!!! :oops: :roll:
Christine

Willow

Post by Christine »

Evie, what a beautiful story! You are one of us...welcome, welcome. Your story will help so many who are facing and/or experiencing this. Thanks so much for sharing with us.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Evie

Post by Evie »

Thank you for the welcome! :D
I'm just reading through lot's of other posts. It's really bringing me back to last year when we were going through it all. It's just amazing how whilst us people sit around worrying about it all our dogs just get up and get on with whatever life hands them.

Glad you enjoyed the vid. 8)
Donna

Post by Donna »

Hi Evie

What a wonderful video, it had me all teary. Willow is beautiful and what a team her and Archie make. By the way your girls are also beautiful, real dog kids. I know you did the right thing for that sweet girl. My boy lost his left front leg 10 months ago and does real well. Willow being small makes it easier to get around. Wecome to the forum.

Donna and Luke
Evie

Post by Evie »

Thanks for the welcome Donna. :D