two seizures in three weeks

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
gwencat

two seizures in three weeks

Post by gwencat »

hello, I have a german shepherd,Dexter,he is aprox.7 1/2 years old.He had a seizure for the first time at 4:00 in the morning.He was paddling,frothing at the mouth,there was a little blood so he must have bit his tongue.his head was tilted towards his spine.It lasted a few minutes and then he came out of it,very disoriented.Three weeks later,he had another one at 4:30 in the morning same intesity as the first .We did blood tests and everything came back fine.He is healthy in every other way(except he has severe hip dysplasia which he was diagnosed with at 9 months of age)I've tried to do everything as natural as possible and Im hesitant to put him on meds.Should I get him an MRI or wait to see if he has another seizure? Do you get an MRI before meds are given? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! :?
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: two seizures in three weeks

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

My Allicks only had one (that I know of) and it sounds identical to yours. I never had to pursue additinal with her, but I read and read and read some more. Seizure cause can be so many things. Generally, you rule out before you are able to rule in, but that gives a lot of comfort, knowing what it isn't. It is a frightening thing to watch. Allicks' post ictal lasted 4 hours. She's blind anyway, and to watch her walking into walls and furniture, getting stuck, completelly 'unhearing' (even though she's not deaf) was a hideous thing to behold. when she came out of it though, it was like she had no memory of it and was just delighting in all the fuss and care she was receiving.

I have a lot of info on seizure on hard drive, but I can tell you, I got most of it from the canine epilepsy website. :welcomepink:
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/