New to forum/help w/my dog

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
ahjah9

New to forum/help w/my dog

Post by ahjah9 »

I am new to this site. Last Wed, my senior dog, Pup began having seizures. It was two hours after a pest control guy came and sprayed. My other dogs and cats didn't seem affected, so I don't know if it was the pest spray or something worse.

Pup is around 12-14 years old and she had 8 seizures between 3pm-3:345AM, including 3 cluster seizures-happening on the way to the emergency clinic. Prior to that, in Jan 08-I think she had a seizure. She voimited 5 times (never knew why)and collapsed and the way she looked made me believe she had a seizure. The vet said she collapsed due to being weak from the vomiting, but it was much more than her collapsing.

She has NOT had another seizure since Thurs. But, when she was at the emergency clinic (since Wed night)she got up and paced constantly and only turned counter clockwise. The vet there said that turning only one way was one sign of possibly a brain tumor. He also said that in older dogs, it is less likely for seizures to be from epilepsy and more likely from a tumor or cancer.

Prior to this, her back end was giving out. My vet thought it may be DM, but not sure. Now, since she returned home last night, her back end is paralyzed!

She is very alert and eats and drinks, but is incontinent. I was looking into a wheelchair for her, but having just spent money I didn't have (thank you VISA and Care Credit), I can't afford those prices. I am trying to find someone here that may build me one.

I just don't know what to do??? She has life in her eyes, and like I said, she is alert. I have lost so many animals over the past 6 years (I have several...dogs, cats, horses, goats, etc) but these things don't get easier. My main thing seems to be cancer for some reason. I can see that she is becoming a little depressed now.

She is now on Predisone (which she was one anyway for her back end)and Phenobarbital 2x a day.

Suggestions???????????????????????????????

I am glad that this site is here. I lost one of my dogs to bone cancer 2 years ago. She went through an amputation and chemo and I found a bone cancersite for dogs and they were so incredibly helpful. They really were great when I needed them.

Thank you!
SandyNY

Re: New to forum/help w/my dog

Post by SandyNY »

:welcomepurple: It sounds ike your poor pup has lots going on and noone is quite sure what it is or what to do about it. Interesting the vet gave her phenobarb even tho they didn't think the seizures were epileptic. I wonder if she wasn't more suseptable to the chemicals because of her age and compromised health status? If you check on the classifieds there was a couple of used wheelchairs that may or may not be the correct size for your dog. Personally, i wouldn't be concerned with a chair just yet.So, you have her home and are not having any troubles with setting her up to be comfortable and pottied etc? That is GREAT! ANd no seizures or head tilt or anything - sounds even better!
Do you think she will not regain her ability to walk? Do you think it because of the prior condition or from the episode?
Did you feed your dog who had cancer a cancer diet?
ahjah9

Post by ahjah9 »

The vet thinks the discs are damaged. I can't afford surgery and even if I could, I don't know if I would want to put Pup through that at her age. It just doesn't look good as far as her regaining mobility and it is very hard for me to move her and take her out to the bathroom. I am not set up for her incontinence.....I just have been putting towels underneath her lower half and have to wash them. I have had it with this stupid harness....
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:pastel: Make sure you see both the incontinence board and the neuro board for help with those problems. Do you know what it was that the guy sprayed?
SandyNY

Post by SandyNY »

I do hope you find a used cart or someone to help you build one soon!! What harness are you using? Have you tried slinging a towel under her to get her up and to walk? We should probably have a pic of a washing machine up there witht he dog in his cart - as that is even more prevelant here than the wheeled critters. :wash:
you seem very good natured about the whole thing- pup is very blessed to have such a wonderful owner who is so willing to take on whatever comes along without a grumble! :trophy: -
ahjah9

Post by ahjah9 »

I did call the pest control place and got the info on what they sprayed. It was also different from what they used the first time they were out 2 weeks prior.

Update: I am now bringing her outside w/me (and the other dogs) when I go out to the barn to feed. It gets her outside in fresh air, and she always loved coming out there with me. I will let her sit (as that's is all she can do now!!!). I still wish I knew why she was mobile at the emergency clinic and now she isn't???

She hasn't had a bowel movement since Mon, and that was diarreah. I spoke to my vet yesterday and he said to use an enema on her, which I will today after work. Any suggestions from anyone?????

I am going to be honest....it is tiring, especially after working a 12 hour shift, to come home, clean up after Pup, wash what was wet...and getting up now at 2:45AM versus 3AM. But, she has given me 12 or so years of companionship and I certainly owe this to her.

I found a welder that came by yesterday. He may be making me a wheelchair for Pup. I hope he hurries up!!!!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

ahjah9 wrote: I still wish I knew why she was mobile at the emergency clinic and now she isn't???

She hasn't had a bowel movement since Mon, and that was diarreah. I spoke to my vet yesterday and he said to use an enema on her, which I will today after work. Any suggestions from anyone?????
!
Could she have been getting steroids at the emergency clinic, and now she isn't? If she had diarrhea on Monday, I wonder if she just doesn't have to poop yet? If she's truly constipated, you'll want to check out laculose. It's a yummy softener you get from the drugstore (Rx) that's cheap, easily given, and easy to monitor.
ahjah9

Post by ahjah9 »

Thanks. Nope, she didn't get steroids when she was at the clinic. I actually know most of the techs and all the vets there and know what they gave her (just the Pred, Phenobarbital and valium (that first night-2x)

I wonder though if she isn't having any other seizures BECAUSE of the Pred/Pheno? Or why??????Who knows?? Arggggh, it's all frustrating.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

ahjah9 wrote:Thanks. Nope, she didn't get steroids when she was at the clinic. I actually know most of the techs and all the vets there and know what they gave her (just the Pred, Phenobarbital and valium (that first night-2x)
AHA!!! Pred is a steroid; I wonder if it improved whatever the deal is with her back so that she functioned better while she was there?