prednisone

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
janeiro

prednisone

Post by janeiro »

I have an elderly dog with diabetes who walks with the aid of a towel since her last convulsion her back legs are very weak. I think it is neuropthy!!! but don't know for sure. She now has a problem with her nose and a type of scab has appeared within the nasal cavity. The scab fell off and since then bleeds a little now and then until a new scab forms. The vet has put her on prednisone and given me a cream to apply for her nose and an antibiotic for a vaginal problem. I read somewhere on this site that prednisone gives intestinal problems but I can't find the information anymore. I am concerned because I seem to remember that prednisone should be given with another medication. Does anyone know anything about this and also about prednisone with diabetes. :thankyou:
critters
Founding Member

Re: prednisone

Post by critters »

Pred can be a problem with diabetes, and some have had belly problems, too. The nose scab concerns me; it seems like it should be healing?
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

First prednisone is a definite no-no for diabetics and also animals with heart issues. I can tell you that my cat Charlie developed diabetes I believe as a result of the pred. I could not regulate him until I took him off the pred and will not put him back on. Once I took him off the pred he has not been diabetic since and that was in 10/06. And quite frankly as my vet said "if I would have listened to them (the ER vet) I would have killed him" since they were telling me to give him a certain # of units 2 times a day. I was checking his blood glucose at least twice a day to know how much insulin I should give. I wonder if you are checking blood-glucose levels. Also, as Critters said, I would have the scab biopsied to rule out cancer. Diana
janeiro

Post by janeiro »

Thanks Diana and Critters,
I am measuring her insulin three times a day with the little strips that you dip in urine because I couldn't manage with the blood test kit. She has no ears so I couldn't take blood from her ears. She is a street dog I rescued in Brazil and the vet thinks somebody cut her ears off when she was young. This morning she showed a sugar level of 200 on the paper strip---normally she is negative because she has a special diet. I don't know exactly what the 200 signifies but I gave her a tiny bit more insulin to combat the sugar. If at lunch time here in Brazil she has more sugar then I will stop the prednisone. She has only taken two of the precribed 7 days (20mg per day). Any ideas what to do? I think I will go ahead with a biopsy on her nose if it hasn't healed by the end of the week. :?
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You might want to consider joining http://www.vetpetpartners.com/ ; aside from the vets, there are several diabetes experts there.

Edit: this was posted to VetPet and was reposted with permission. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11032
janeiro

Post by janeiro »

Thanks I went back to vets early today and he told me to stop with the prednisone. I am also going to join the vet partners website. :|
amandaaz

Post by amandaaz »

I need a good vet, perferably one who is knowledgable about dog diabetes? Hi, my dog has diabetes and he has gone 6 months without being regulated and the vets i have seen seem not to know what is going on. i am in desperate need of suggestions for a good vet or even better if anyone has a dog with diabetes and can suggest their vet or anyone knows a vet specializing in dog diabetes in markham or toronto i would greatly appreciate it. thanks (and i welcome any advice)
Last edited by amandaaz on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: Have you tried a vet internist?
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

You may also want to consider getting a glucometer like an alpha trac (which is for cats and dogs) and monitor your dog's blood glucose levels at home. You can prick an ear vein and all it takes is a drop of blood for the reading. I know my cat Charlie would have died if I had listened to the vet re: how much insulin to give him and had not been checking his blood glucose myself. Also what type of insulin are you using? Diana
Joan

Post by Joan »

One of our pugs had a ear problem, vet gave her large doses of pred, and we now have a diabetic pug. That was 6 months ago, and she has been a bear to regulate. Vets in my opinion know little or nothing about regulation. Urine samples do not work, as they measure the sugar content of the bladder, If you take it in the morning, you are measuring what your dog may have been up to 8-10 hours ago, not necessarily what your dog is now when you are ready to give insulin and meal. Blood samples are the only way to go, and though the alpha trac is calibrated for animals, I have found the Freestyle so good as it takes such a small blood drop to work. Also the pharmacy will usually give you one, as they make it all back in the strips when you buy them.

There is a diabietic group on Yahoo and probably lots of others, chatting with other dog people who are actually in the trenches so to speak, is so helpful.
Joan

Post by Joan »

I forgot to mention in my previous post, about the prednisone, it is so important, DO NOT take them off pred all at once. You must half the dose for a few days, and then use that dose every other day for a while. You will DEFINITELY run into problems by just stopping the dosage without sort of weaning them off of it first.