Was THIS a seizure?

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
Dianne

Re: Was THIS a seizure?

Post by Dianne »

Bobbie,

Thank you so much for describing what works for you. Wow! What kind of stress causes seizures?

BTW, he drools but has not yet become incontinent during a seizure. He has his own bed.

The vet mentioned that he likes to keep a dog on PB (Phenobarb) for about 6 months, test liver titers, and then switch to PBr (Potassium Bromide). Is 6 months too long to stay on Phenobarbitol?
Last edited by Dianne on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Dianne wrote: Is 6 months too long to stay on Phenobarbitol?
I know a pupper who was taking it when I first met him, about 13 years ago, and still does. He seizes when they try to taper off.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Merlin has been on phenobarbital for two years, some stay on it for life. You have to monitor liver enzymes, though. He gets SAM-e to help prevent problems (no research on that yet as far as I know.)

Stress: me being at work seems to be a big one as he had many more problems during the school year than in the summer.
Possibly travel though I've never been sure of that.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I should add, we titrated Merlin's PB up until he stopped having regular (at least every 3 weeks) seizures. I tried then to wean him off Zonisamide but he had seizures both times I tried (surprise, as my vet and I both thought it probably wasn't doing anything.)
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels