old dog, new seizures and confinement

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
bert5799

old dog, new seizures and confinement

Post by bert5799 »

I have an 18yr 6mo Boston Terrier and she suffered a bad fall down the stairs. Immediately folllowing the fall, she began to seize in my arms. This was her first seizure ever. We went to the Vet ER and she spent the night and they reduced the swelling on her brain with drugs. She came home the following day, disoriented and temporary loss of sight. A few days later, she was back to normal. Now, two weeks later, she suffered another seizure. My big concern is how to confine her safely during the day and at other busy family times. We currently use the standard kennel and I also have a softside, travel kennel but I am also interested in securing a larger area. I am interested in how others safely confine their pet, knowing they may seize and potentially injure themselves. Oh, and she is also deaf and some loss of sight due to cataracts. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Cathy with Dori, Annie and Gracie
Christine

Re: old dog, new seizures and confinement

Post by Christine »

Oh my goodness....18 1/2 years old! That is wonderful! So sorry she fell and has to deal with this. Here are a few suggestions I can think of: an Xpen lined with pillows; a playpen; a small area baby-gated and lined with pillows. Give her things to keep her busy like a Kong filled with crunchies and a little peanut butter.

My Bailey is blind and has trouble walking so this is what I do for her when I have to leave her during the day and so we can sleep without worrying about her running into things or getting stuck in or under things at night.

http://www.handicappedpet.net/helppets/ ... age#p60727

We have many very clever people here who will also help you with ideas. Give that little Grandma girl a hug from us...and :group:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Bumping
?/1999 - 10/25/08
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Ditto Christine! Over 18! That is close to some kind of record.

Christine's Bailey's nest is not just functional, but adorable as well. An expen with a doggie bed and pillows big enough for a potty area inside as well, a dollarstore shower curtain covered by an old towel you can wash.

I am sorry your little girl fell down and that you have stepped into this new phase of her life, but it can be as full of love and meaning as her early days. Your new fun is laying on the floor with her, singing to her, using her name every other word, just a silly made up song, to give her delight. Is she totally deaf? I use tickle finger signals to my deafblinds to show joy and silliness, and they react with glee every time.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: Is she taking meds to reduce the frequency of the seizures?
bert5799

Post by bert5799 »

To all of you, thank you so much for your suggestions and compassionate support!

Dori is very alert, lively (in her elder style), probably 95% hearing loss and I just spoke with our vet this morning and we are starting phenobarb, extremely conservative dose. We are currently visiting friends in Southern Colorado, we live in Indianapolis. She loves laying in the sun and is surrounded by her Colorado canine and kitty buddies.

I am not certain what is meant by and expen but am envisioning an indoor portable fenced area much like a child's playpen. Is that correct? I love the shower curtain towel idea!

Again, I cannot thank you enough for your help. Dori is remarkably healthy, according to the vet, and I want to provide her with continued quality and excitement.

Thanks!
Cathy with Dori, Annie and Gracie
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

bert5799 wrote:To all of you, thank you so much for your suggestions and compassionate support!

Dori is very alert, lively (in her elder style), probably 95% hearing loss and I just spoke with our vet this morning and we are starting phenobarb, extremely conservative dose. GOOD!!! That makes me feel a lot better. The sleepiness usually wears off soon. We are currently visiting friends in Southern Colorado, we live in Indianapolis. She loves laying in the sun and is surrounded by her Colorado canine and kitty buddies. Awww!!!!

I am not certain what is meant by and expen but am envisioning an indoor portable fenced area much like a child's playpen. Is that correct? Yes. It's short for exercise pen. I love the shower curtain towel idea!

Again, I cannot thank you enough for your help. Dori is remarkably healthy, according to the vet, and I want to provide her with continued quality and excitement.

Thanks!
Christine

Post by Christine »

Yep...kind of a glorified multi-sided baby-gate. Here are some on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... oe5p3ink_e
?/1999 - 10/25/08