Whiskers, quadriplegic cat

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
MissWhiskers

Whiskers, quadriplegic cat

Post by MissWhiskers »

Hello everyone! It has been a long time since you've heard from me - only due to computer problems (that is - I didn't have one!) I actually went and bought one last night - mostly to talk to you people!
Hopefully you will remember Whiskers? Well, he's hanging in there, but since you heard from us last he has started having seizures, so I would like your help and support! Briefly, here's some background:
He is a quadriplegic cat. I got him when he was a couple of months old. The person who I got him from was probably going to have him euthanized. The guy and his wife and stepdaughter had gotten him(Whiskers) and his sister a few weeks before and they were both normal.
Then something happened and whiskers couldn't walk. The guy claims he doesn't know what happened. Anyway, now Whiskers is probably just coming up on being one year old and the first seizure I noticed was appx. Aug. 4, a couple of months ago. He is on phenobarbitol now. He has never had an MRI - only because I don't have the money for it. Someone in the last few weeks suggested that I contact Virginia Tech's Veterinary Department and perhaps get one done for a reduced rate, and I want to do that.
I guess my main concern is about his quality of Life. I realize alot of pets are treated for seizures on a long term basis and I would have no problem with that if thats the best thing for him.
Remember, I have never known what caused his paralisys - but most of the experts I consulted when I first got him leaned toward thinking it was from injury, not disease.
One thing I would like to know is what will an MRI tell me and what won't it tell me?
Please let me know what you think - on any of this.
Thank you - Again,

Karen & Whiskers
Last edited by MissWhiskers on Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Diana R.

Re: Whiskers

Post by Diana R. »

Hi Karen:

I was glad to hear about Whiskers. I would call them and ask for a consult on Whiskers, whether or not you should have an MRI, what the benefits are, what info you will learn, and even with the info will it make a difference in any prognosis/diagnosis. I was wondering if they were thinking maybe there was a lesion on the brain. I am glad you are looking out for Whiskers. Diana
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Whiskers

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

WELCOME BACK!!!!
We also were exploring an MRI for poor Possum (whose thread can be read in great detail in this forum, under Never Thought About This ...) however, the cost was approx. $1,500 and out of the question. When you have a quad, you have reasons for that issue, and I would suggest that you read some of the threads in this forum to get some ideas.

My Allicks had a grand mal, and only one that I am aware of (had her toenails been on carpet as opposed to tile, I would never have heard the scraping of her convulsions and wouldhave slept right through it) . Lots of critters (sorry critters) seize, and for a host of different reasons. If determing the reasons why is out of the questions (and I have pages of causations on my hard drive which has crashed) then treating is the answer. pheno used to be the Rx of choice, but now there are many new options. Others will weigh in and I hope that some of the experiencers with felines (as opposed to canines) can give you some treatment options.

WELCOME BACK!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Re: Whiskers, quadriplegic cat

Post by critters »

Well, actually, there aren't as many options for kitties as there are for puppers, and I'd stick with phenobarb as long as it's fine. It's a known entity, and it's cheap.
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

Thanks. I am mostly concerned that something might be getting worse. Originally he was (just?!) paralyzed and required special care - but it wasn't like anything was changing or getting worse. So it seemed that regardless of what caused the paralysis - his care would be the same. I got him at about 2 months old and had him about 8 months before I witnessed any seizures. An MRI and Spinal Tap were suggested from the start, but at a cost of about $1500 to $2000 - I just was not able to do them. And I don't even know if they would even tell anything definitively!? I have no problem treating his seizures with Phenobarbitol and Gabapentin - I'm just worried if the seizures mean something is getting worse!? I would really like to get the MRI & Spinal Tap, but still don't really have the funds for them.
If anyone has any advice for me - I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Karen
:?
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Welllllll...he might be getting worse, but MRI, etc may or may not show it. It could be that seizures are just another manifestation of the original insult to his body. If he were human, you might or might not get answers, but critter medicine is so far behind with regard to disabilities I don't know that you'd ever know for sure. I'd just take it day-by-day and see what happens.