epilepsy

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
poppy

epilepsy

Post by poppy »

I have a 10 yo bordercollie mix who started having seizures 2 years ago. He is on phenobarb 2 pills in am and pm. He only has a seizure once every 3 weeks. Is this acceptable? I don't want to put him on any other medicine and he is at a good level. He also is on synthroid. I live in NYC, very expensive vet bills but am retiring and moving upstate. Will changing meds help? We had such an awful time getting his level right on phenobaritol and he suffered alot. Thanks, Jenny. I am new so if I write the wrong thing or in the wrong place let me know.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: epilepsy

Post by Bobbie »

Once every three weeks isn't terribly well-controlled but if he's consistent with that and you aren't too stressed by it, it is probably acceptable.
If the seizures start getting longer or closer together than you may want to look for something else. You might ask your new vet about trying an add-on like Zonisamide, but it is more expensive than phenobarbital. More commonly KBr is added on and it isn't very expensive.