Cluster seizures / status epilepticus

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
nez

Re: Cluster seizures / status epilepticus

Post by nez »

just was thinking about your furbaby and wondering how she is doing? No news is good news i sure hope, nez
Debbie-Spain

Post by Debbie-Spain »

Hi Nez,

Thanks for asking. She is hanging in there, her balance seems to be improving, although so slowly that I think it could take months. At least now if she falls she tends not to hit her head like she was doing before. She still tends to go in circles...

The screaming has lessened too, in volume and frequency, but she tends to whimper while trying to get comfortable.

We just had her lab results back and they were quite good for her. We upped her phenobarbital dose after the attacks and it is still well within therapeutic range and seems to be more effective at this dosage. Her Potassium Bromide still needed increasing though, so we have done that. Her liver values are still within normal range...

Fingers crossed, she will just keep slowly improving...

Thanks Nez,

Debbie
Kat's Club for Disabled Pets in Spain
www.elclubdekat.org
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

That all sounds pretty remarkable, all things considered!!
nez

Post by nez »

Thanks for the update,i am soooo glad she is doing abit better,bless that furbaby.nez
Debbie-Spain

Post by Debbie-Spain »

Very sad news I'm afraid, my little great friend Bombón died this afternoon. She went very peacefully, by my side, so peacefully I didn't even realise that she was going until she had gone...

Bombón was with me for 5 years. She came as a stray that had been hit by a car. She had two spinal cord fractures. She adapted perfectly to her wheelchair, but suffered with urinary infections and although I had her spayed, from uterine stump pyometras. We always said she was indestructible: she also got through acute renal failure, spleen removal, an operation on her bladder because of a diverticulum, mitral valve insufficiency, hypothyroidism, she had everything. But she always struggled through and came out victorious until she suffered status epilepticus for the first time in November 2008. It left her initially blind, although after a couple of months she had regained some sight. She was already partially deaf. Before her latest status epilepticus in April, she had recovered very well and was back in her wheelchair, happy and fun, but this last episode just did too much damage before we could get it under control.

She was such an important little dog because here in Spain she was one of the first with wheels and she changed so many people's minds about whether a dog could live happily in a wheelchair. I will miss her terribly...

Thanks for the help and support she always had from here,

Debbie
Attachments
PASEO BOMBÓN.jpg
Kat's Club for Disabled Pets in Spain
www.elclubdekat.org
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Oh, Debbie. Ohhh, no. Little Bombón who I've known so long through your messages. What will you do without her to hold, her to talk to, her to smile at, her to put in her wheelchair, and express and diaper and cuddle and love and give her favorite treats and let out in the sun and tuck in at night. Surely she was part of the whole spirit of your operation.

Thank goodness it wasn't another major seizure, and no painful decision. I am so glad, if it had to be, that you were there and she went peacefully and you could know how she went, not alone, not in distress, but quietly and beside you. That is a gift. I am so sorry she is not with you now. Yes, she helped change a country...and a continent because of your work...permanently. What work a little dog and a gifted and dedicated human friend could do in five years. If she could only know how many have been helped and will be helped, how change will continue to spread out now that it has started, because of her. What a good little soul she was.

I am so sorry your precious little friend is gone. She never would have been at all but for your years of love and care. Sharing your loss and tears.

Carol
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Oh, Debbie-Spain, noooooo.... I am so very sorry. I can't imagine what you are feeling but we all cry with you. Your beautiful little Bombon your precious baby. I am so sorry, so very sorry. Your little girl's legacy you have already written, one of the first cart babies in Spain. Debbie, I am so very sorry for your loss of this little girl.
I put Bombon as my work desktop wallpaper when you posted her jammies photo. I had emailed her pic to a lot of friends because it is so beautiful. I look at her so many times a day with a sad smile because she looks so sad. When I go to work on Monday and see her and know she is gone from your side, ahhh, Debbie.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
nez

Post by nez »

My deepest thoughts are with you,she is out of pain now,and God needed another little angel.As all of us here,we all cry for you and the precious furbaby she was.Thank God,it wasnt a cluster seizure again,and she went peacefully.No words right now will mend your broken heart,but just know that all of us feel and know what your going through,I too loved the photo.We all cry tears ,and thank you for always being there for her,when no one else would of .
RIP precious ,your with my poco ,how precious that will be.... So So sorry for your loss,,,,,,,nez