My Diabetic Old Man, Mr. Kitty

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
troopersmommy

My Diabetic Old Man, Mr. Kitty

Post by troopersmommy »

My oldest kitty, Mr Kitty, is a huge cat in height. Taller than my inside dogs. He's never been overweight, but was diagnosed with diabetes 3 yrs ago after a terrible seizure.

Anyway, although he's never allowed me to test his blood sugar, he does handle the insulin injections beautifully. I have a question though. I've always been able to determine his insulin need and have stayed with 1 injection daily. He eats only canned food, for diabetic cats and is doing well. But he is now 17 or 18 (a rescue) and has lost a little weight, very slowly over months. Is this from his age? Or do I need to have his sugar ck'd at the vet?
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"
"Sometimes..When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

Words I live by from "Velveteen Rabbit"
critters
Founding Member

Re: My Diabetic Old Man, Mr. Kitty

Post by critters »

How long has it been since an old fart blood draw--liver, kidneys, thyroid, and sugar? I'd do a check up then consider the possibility of feeding more (a problem with a diabetic, I know) if he's not digesting his food as well anymore from old age. My ancient MamaCat got that old, skinny look, so now I feed her in the feeding cage with Ari and Tripod. She chows like a farm hand, but she's a good weight!./
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

I also would get a full blood panel done including a T4 and a UA. His insulin needs may have changed so he is not regulated, he could be hyperthyroid or he could have kidney disease. Is he urinating or drinking more or is he eating more and still losing weight. I don't know if you have tried an ear vein to get blood on him. I have an alphatrax which is for dogs and cats. I had routinely checked my cat Charlie when he was diabetic, he was on glargene. He was only diabetic for a month though. He passed in June from squamous cell carcinoma. Diana
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

I have 2 glucose monitors, etc. Tried his ear, both of them...he hates it! Hisses, hides and won't eat then. So I gave up. I've never had problems with the injections, he's fine with the needle. Strange Mr. Kitty. His regular check up is in 2 weeks, with blood panel "old fart" check up. (I like that...Old fart blood draw. :lol: )

I think I will start feeding him some extra food away from the others. Could be he's not getting his fair share. My youngest 7 yr old Calico, Nornor, has a behavioral eating disorder. She was a 4 wk old feral kitten that I found dying from a rare disease. She's extremely overweight. All the other cats are normal weight. She gets stressed very easily and eats to compensate. She might be eating Mr. Kitty's food when I leave the room, and he's too much of a gentleman to fuss at her.

Fortunately he's not losing weight quickly. I think a good part of it could be his age. He does like his water, but that's nothing new. He's fascinated with it. Loves ice cubes and his water fountain. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll know more in a couple of weeks.
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"
"Sometimes..When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

Words I live by from "Velveteen Rabbit"