starting to have seizures?

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
MissWhiskers

starting to have seizures?

Post by MissWhiskers »

hello everyone,
I have a 4 and a half year old cat who I have witnessed probably having a seizure 3 times in the last few months. At least 2 of the 3 episodes started while he was sleeping, he convulsed fairly rigorously, didn't immediately respond when I picked him up or touched him - but did start coming out of the seizure pretty quickly after that. They were all very brief - 2-3 minutes,
Other than this he has been pretty healthy all his life and has no handicaps. He is a little heavy though. I have started checking out some of the links found in this forum. I have printed out alot but haven't had a chance to read much of it yet. I thought I saw something about Diabetic-related seizures and thought that might be relevant to this case - maybe partly because he is a little heavy?

:?: :?: My question is: what steps to take? take him to a regular vet and run bloodwork? or take him straight to a neurologist?

My paralyzed kitty Whiskers had seizures, starting when he was not quite one year old. He was already seeing a neurologist and was put on Phenobarbitol, then Pheno & Gabapentin, then just Gabapentin. His seizures were well controlled and he recently ... went to heaven - but for another issue, I believe. I actually still have a fair amount of Gabapentin and Pheno. at home.
If anyone could give me advice - I would really appreciate it!! I am very poor right now and need to get right to the right thing, if possible - if you know what I mean.

Thank you,
Karen
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: starting to have seizures?

Post by Bobbie »

Start with your regular vet. Cheaper and the cause may be found on simple bloodwork.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

You could call and ask how much it would be to test the blood sugar. Also, I don't know about all vets, but my vet will take unused pills back and put a credit on my account. Good luck! :angel:
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

Thank you Bobbie & Carol, I will call and ask them about both ideas and see what they say - either way maybe it won't be as expensive as I was fearing - like neuroligist fees, etc.
I was thinking I might need those meds for this cat. His name is Popeye.
Is that Snoopy in the Snow? - gotta love Snoopy!

Karen
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yes, I love Snoopy, too. They came out with "The Complete Peanuts" collection, which are volumes of daily Snoopy comics, 2 years per book, and I read 8 years of Snoopy this summer. :D
Snoopy.jpg