Does this sound like a seizure?

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
2reddogs

Does this sound like a seizure?

Post by 2reddogs »

My collie/retriever mix Copper had some sort of episode tonight that I've seen one other time with him. The first time was last Spring. I think it could be a seizure but there are not convulsions. Does a seizure always include convulsions or shaking movements?

He seems to know when they are coming and both incidents were nearly identical, only this one lasted longer. He begins by trying to get close to me but has trouble walking. My other dog immediately starts sniffing him and acting funny as well. Both times I was able to get him to lay down. He pants heavily and then it suddenly stops and he clenches his jaw. His front paws begin to arch above his head and are rigid. Almost like he is about to scratch the top of his head. One rear leg is also bent into his lower body and is also rigid. He only occasionally seems to take a breath during this time but his jaws are clenched tight. His back also seems to be arched. His eyes look blank and slightly rolled into his head. This part lasted maybe 1-2 minutes at most but felt like forever. When it seems to be over, his legs relax and he starts panting again. Within a few minutes he was able to stand on his own and seemed ok for the most part but was a little disoriented and tired. To top all this off, Copper had an FCE (basically a spinal stroke) 2 years ago. He was paralyzed in his rear legs but has since recovered although he has some lingering weakness. I don't know if it is possible that the conditions could be related? He was his normal self today until the episode. He's up and walking, so I don't think it could be a stroke... or could it? We will make a call to the vet tomorrow but if anyone has seen something similar, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Jenn and Copper
Friend2Dogs

Re: Does this sound like a seizure?

Post by Friend2Dogs »

Sounds like a seizure to me. Mason my dog had them and he did the same thing. I would take to the vet .
Last edited by Friend2Dogs on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Lord, help me be the kind of person that my dogs think I am. "
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Yes, my Allicksblindpup had the same movements. Her post ictal lasted 4 hours. I don't know about the connection and what a stinker to have happen after all he has been through.

Allicks has only had one seizure that I am aware of. If I'm not home, or she has them at night, I don't know.

They have come so far with optoins for canine seizure. Prognosis should be good, I hope!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
2reddogs

Post by 2reddogs »

We'll give the vet a call this morning. I was just not able to find much on the internet about this type of seizure or whether or not it was really a seizure. He's still a bit tired this morning but ate his breakfast fine. He's never really been a morning dog, so being tired doesn't tell me much. We are switching internet companies, so I probably won't have internet this weekend. Great timing :roll: . Thanks! We'll let you know if the vet says anything interesting.

Jenn