Popeye

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
MissWhiskers

Popeye

Post by MissWhiskers »

My all white cat has been having episodes of convulsions. They have been brief- about a minute or two- and fairly long in between - at least a month. I took him to the vet on March 16th and they ran extensive blood work, to be specific: Super Chem/ CBC/FeLv/FIP/FIV/ Toxo/ T4
When the Vet called to go over the results, she said she saw 2 things. One was that he had a "slight titer to Toxo" and the other and "less likely" according to her was a positive titer for exposure to coronavirus.
Other than these convulsive episodes Popeye is healthy and normal. He actually is a little on the heavy side.
So the Vet prescribed Clindomycin (Clintabs, 75mg - given 1 each 12 hours for 3 weeks) because of the "slight titer" to Toxo. Other than completing that treatment I am just supposed to call the Vet If the convulsions become more frequent OR last longer.
I will be finished giving him the Clintabs in 5 days.
I am writing to see IF anyone here has any experience or suggestions or input of any kind about this sort of situation?
My feelings about the Vet's findings are that they are just kind of a "longshot" and while I have no problem treating him with the Clindomycin I don't feel like I really know anything for sure! I asked if it was possible that I would never really Know the cause of the problem but still treat him anyway, like with Phenobarbitol, for example? She said that was possible and that if neccesary she could refer me to a Neurologist, but I believe that is only IF the episodes become more frequent or last longer. I told her I had been reading about Epilepsy and wondered if that might be it? Her response was that was more likely with dogs. Does that sound right to you all?
He just had a convulsive episode about an hour ago, but is within the exact same pattern as previously. I mean that it has been about a month since I have seen him have one, and it was not more than a minute or two. As I type that I am thinking, How do I know IF he has had any episodes at times when I am not home?!
Any input will be greatly appreciated!!

Karen
critters
Founding Member

Re: Popeye

Post by critters »

Frankly, I don't understand all the foot-dragging about phenobarb. When I was a kid we had a duck with seizures, and pheno was suggested for her. I've babysat a pupper taking it, etc. I'm with you--just give him the pheno and move on!
faheem

Post by faheem »

My all white cat has been having episodes of convulsions. They have been brief- about a minute or two- and fairly long in between - at least a month. I took him to the vet on March 16th and they ran extensive blood work, to be specific: Super Chem/ CBC/FeLv/FIP/FIV/ Toxo/ T4
When the Vet called to go over the results, she said she saw 2 things. One was that he had a "slight titer to Toxo" and the other and "less likely" according to her was a positive titer for exposure to coronavirus.
Other than these convulsive episodes Popeye is healthy and normal. He actually is a little on the heavy side.
So the Vet prescribed Clindomycin (Clintabs, 75mg - given 1 each 12 hours for 3 weeks) because of the "slight titer" to Toxo. Other than completing that treatment I am just supposed to call the Vet If the convulsions become more frequent OR last longer.
I will be finished giving him the Clintabs in 5 days.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I'm confused- is he having fewer seizures now? If so, I'd finish the drug and see if they continue to get fewer.

If not, I think I'd want to get started with an antiseizure drug, but research them first, something may be safer for cats. A lot of vets are not familiar with all the new options (and as I only know dogs I can't comment, either) but there may be something that is good for cats. Phenobarbital is very effective but as it can cause liver damage if used longterm there might be a better choice.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels