Bailey and Trooper

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
baileytrooper

Bailey and Trooper

Post by baileytrooper »

Hi,

I wanted to take the time to introduce us...I hope it is ok to cross post this intro into different forums...unfortunately we belong in a few of them...

First I'll introduce Bailey who is 7 years old...first and foremost he is my best friend and partner. He came to me as an 8 wk old bundle of fluff German Shepherd puppy shortly after my first GSD, Sam, died of cancer at age 6, and during the time my 10 yr old Golden, Cassie, was also losing her battle with cancer, and my 18 yr old cat, Lovey, was losing his own battle with kidney failure. Needless to say it was a rough time, and I needed Bailey as much as he needed me. He got me through losing all of them, and I don't know how I would have gotten through without him. We got involved with K9 Search and Rescue and became an operational dog and handler team in less than a year. He rocked as a search dog, not that I'm at all biased! He did Wilderness rescues, water searches, USAR (Urban Search and Rescue/Collapsed Structures), and Cadaver searches. He was also always the honorary German Shepherd representative for Public Relations events, he's outgoing and loves all people...the team always called him a Golden Retriever in a German Shepherd suit. He wants everyone to be his long-lost best friend, and is guaranteed to soak your face in kisses. We are now retired from search work, and visit as a Therapy dog team to local hospitals. That is who Bailey IS. What he HAS now, for the past year, is Degenerative Myelopathy. He is still the happy-go-lucky dog he's always been, and I do everything in my power to keep it that way for him. He doesn't dwell on things, so I try to follow his lead. If I focused too much on everything, knowing their conditions as I do...I'd be no good to either of them. It started in December of '09 with an ever-so-slight dragging of his right rear foot. You couldn't even see him do it, but you could hear it on the carpet and see the beginning of wear marks on his nails. So, fearing the worst (knowing the signs and the propencity in the breed), I took him into work with me (I'm a vet tech), wanting to be told I was overreacting. No such luck. The University of Missouri is conducting a DNA study, so we sent his blood to them. He was 6 years old. By the time it came back a month later it was obvious as he was already more wobbly, but it was nice, in a way, to have confirmation. As it progresses, we deal with it. He got his cart in July of this year (2010)...typical Bailey he took to it like a duck to water! Not much phases him. He's been swimming all year, twice a week, and I've been working there to pay it off. He still has good range of motion in the pool. He can't stand anymore, his muscles just aren't strong enough despite therapy, but yet again he takes that all in stride and happily drags himself around in a sitting position, though he certainly has moments of frustration. I help him, and we move on. He is very sensitive, but if I don't make a big deal over it, neither does he. I keep close track of even an inkling of a sore and treat it right away, so he really doesn't have any. I've treated dogs at work with horrendous pressure sores, and that will NEVER happen to him! I express him as needed, and deal with UTI's as I think he needs. So far I've sent out 2 UA's to the lab, and both came back negative, but we put him on antibiotics anyway because he was more dribbly and his urine had a strong odor, he's much better again now. He knows there isn't anything in the world I wouldn't do for him. Somewhere, somehow...we figure out a way.

Now for Trooper...

After my Sam had died, and before Bailey came into my life, I applied to volunteer with a local German Shepherd Rescue. None of their dogs fit into my life for adoption since Cassie was having such a rough time, I knew I'd know when I met the right dog. After Bailey came along (who adored Cassie), I didn't do much with the rescue because they wouldn't allow me to bring my puppy, and I couldn't leave him home, and we had some dog handling differences of opinion that bugged me a bit. Then we got into SAR and didn't have much time. But, one Saturday Bailey and I didn't have anything going on, so I decided to volunteer to do their Swimming Day when they took all the kennel dogs out to a local State Park to play and go in the water, and basically get out of the kennel for a few hours. I had heard about Trooper through their yahoo group, but didn't get involved in the debate since I wasn't around much, though I had my own opinions. He was a 6 month old blind puppy, and they were having trouble organizing themselves and coming to a consensus about dealing with him. He originally came from PA as a stray puppy, and was turned into a kill shelter, and the rescue took him from there. I now believe he was a puppy mill dog and was dumped when they realized something was wrong with him. When I met him that day he was living in the kennel, and not exactly thriving. Someone brought him out and I could swear he had some sight because he knew EXACTLY where every person was, sniffing them and wagging his tail. I was fascinated! I was sitting on the ground in a circle of people. Trooper climbed in my lap and kissed my face all over. They actually had to drag him away when it was time to go. I was done for...he melted my heart in an instant. I didn't see him again that day, as I had a different dog who had socialization issues we were working on. Afterwards I talked to the director about Trooper. I knew all the issues they were having and I knew he needed us, he BELONGED with us. I could feel it in every fiber of my being. She said many people were interested in him, and felt sorry for him. I thought that was a terrible reason for adopting him. I knew he may be a cute blind puppy NOW, but he will soon be a big adult German Shepherd who happens to be blind, and people were already creating issues with poor management. All I wanted to give him was a normal life as a normal dog. I went home, wrote out a long email explaining why he should come live with me and Bailey...he became my foster dog shortly afterward! Trooper has a condition called Optic Nerve Hypoplasia and has been completely blind since birth. He nearly died a week later with a sudden high fever and swelling in one of his front legs...we assumed it was a spider bite reaction, but little did we know that was just the beginning of the Trooper health saga, which we wouldn't know about for a while. I adopted him anyway as soon as he was better! 6 years later I could write a book about all we have been through. At 3 he was diagnosed with ideopathic epilepsy. Getting to a point of stabilization with the epilepsy and cluster seizures was a journey unto itself! Later liver disease, hypoalbuminism/hypoproteinemia (due to liver disease), hypothyroidism, vasculitis...you name it. He is the reason I went back to working as a Veterinary Technician, it doesn't pay nearly enough, but I get discounts on all his many meds, prescription foods, bloodwork, etc. It takes at least 2 hands to count how many times he has lived up to the name he came with! His nickname is Super Trooper! Throughout it all....he is the sweetest, most loving, gentle dog ever. He was a bit unfocused when he came to me, frenetic actually, he chased the cats, grabbed Bailey by the face and barked insessantly at him (a habit he developed at the shelter)...constantly...but with patience we worked through it all. I knew he was brilliant and needed a job, the same as any high-energy working dog...blind or not. I never once focused on his disability, and in fact, never once did it dis-able him in any way! Being blind is the least of his problems! With some hesitation of certain team members, and gratious support of others, I started training him in Search and Rescue as a cadaver dog. It was a field of less urgency in which he could work slower, in smaller areas on a long leash. Gosh he was good! He became so focused on his job, and I would admit he was often better at cadaver than Bailey was (who was awesome)...which sometimes created tension, because he was also better than some of the other dogs. He was also AWESOME at demos...we wouldn't tell people he was blind till the end. It really showed people the power of their sense of smell. Now also retired, he is also a Therapy dog like Bailey. He amazes me everyday...anyone can touch him, pet him, kiss him...he has NO hesitation. He is so smart and has taught me so much. I don't know what I would do without him or Bailey.

I could keep writing about them forever... :wub:

Steph, Bailey, and Trooper

http://www.youtube.com/user/baileytrooper
GunpowderBaileyTrooper.jpg
BARCStoberfest.jpg
Trooper...a tired therapy dog!
Trooper...a tired therapy dog!
Steph
Bailey - 7 yr old GSD, Degenerative Myelopathy, dx- Jan '09
Trooper - 7 yr old GSD, blind (Optic Nerve Hypoplasia) and ideopathic epilepsy
Roo - 12 yr old GSD mix, recently torn cruciate ligaments

http://www.youtube.com/user/baileytrooper