My dog had a seizure 12 years old

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
scottyb

My dog had a seizure 12 years old

Post by scottyb »

Hi
My dog Frank mix Ridge/Gem/Lab 95lb of 12.5 years was fine on tuesday morning other then he has slowed down, trouble beathing and hacking (he had the breathing problem most his life if he got to running hard) and some trouble starting with back legs. I came home tuesday at noon and he came to me in the kitchen and had a seizure about killed me I just held him on the floor. After it ended I got him to the vet and he had two more he is now blind in his right eye, very weak on his feet, walks like he is drunk and having trouble holding urin, tail not waging anymore dos not bark, he was always happy. Very disorintated I am sure the lose of sight is the problem there. He never had a seizure that I kown but did wet the bed twice in the past year, which he did while I was with him on tuesday, so not sure if this was his first seizure. The past month or two his head would get real hot once in awhile. I would give him a asprin once in awhile for legs not regularly at all. Also the past few months he would hold his head cock to the right I use to check his ear but it was fine. The vet has him on phenobarbital 1 tab 1 1/2gr every 12 hours for seizures, he has had no more since. Temaril P tabs 3 tabs every 12 hours for 5 days then 2 tabs every 12 hours for throat inflammation and Prednisone 20mg 2 tabs every 12 hours for 3 days then 1 tab every 12 hours for inflammation. dos any one know what kind of recovery he may have? They told me this would make him thirsty is it alright to hold back water at night? the weting is the worst he is a BIG dog he gets up at night but will not wake us up, he was great for holding it all day we both work. I wounder if its the meds or will this get better, how much time. any kind of feed back would be nice. Frank thanks you in advanced alsoscottyb

Private message
Christine

Re: My dog had a seizure 12 years old

Post by Christine »

Hi Scott,

Glad you joined. Others will be along with more information, but here is a thread about vestibular situations which you might find some similarities and information. I keep thinking about how much Frank weighs. Helping him navigate with your back and knees can't be easy and this would be difficult for Lorraine too. Building a ramp is the one most helpful thing we did for Bailey and us.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5402&p=79848&hilit=seizures#p79848
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
scottyb

Post by scottyb »

Thanks christine
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Rather than withholding water you might try either setting an alarm and taking him out halfway through the night or using a male diaper- basically a wrap which holds a diaper inside, adult or large toddler overnight diapers would work.

If you have the chance and can afford it, getting an MRI or CT Scan to show you what is going on would be worthwhile. If you want to go that route you might ask for a referral to a neurologist or a local vet school for evaluation.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels