Four years and $30,000.00 later I need help

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
shakinsnoopy

Four years and $30,000.00 later I need help

Post by shakinsnoopy »

My five year old Rotweiller Doberman began having seizures on his first birthday between the regular screenings and $4000 trips to the emergency room I have spent over $30,000.00 dollars just to keep him semi stabil. I was wondering if anyone new wher I could get lower cost level checks and safety screens I am now low income after the birth of my daughter but Snoopy is like a son. I live in Massachusetts and my vet does not offer a payment plan they want the money up front. I'm almost out of his meds and they wont refill them with out a test that I can not possibly afford. Does anyone know where I can get help. He is not ready to be put to sleep yet he is very full of life.
Attachments
MY Little Boy
MY Little Boy
Christine

Re: Four years and $30,000.00 later I need help

Post by Christine »

Oh, what a precious boy!! Welcome... you will be getting some advice soon. We all love our babies the same way and we support each other. Hang in there.

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Four years and $30,000.00 later I need help

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Do you know the cause of the seizures? we can research that with you... Did you see the financial links at the top of the emergency page?
I am so sorry for what you and your four-legged baby are going through.
My AllicksBlindPup seized. This is what I've discovered so far for reasons:
1) low blood sugar
2) hypothyroidism
3) canine epilepsy
4) brain damage
5) Cushings
6) infection
7) toxins
8) hydroencephaly
After $30,000, the doc should have a diagnosis, so tell him you need that and we can move forward looking at treatment options...including his, or perhaps a cheaper vet. There are meds you can get thru www.omahavaccine.com that are a third the cost of the vet, plus you save on the visit charge.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Nadine

Re: What we found for Cody

Post by Nadine »

I hope you can find our experience helpful. Cody was 1/2 English Springer Spaniel and !/2 Golden Retriever. Smartest dog I ever had. She started having horrible seizures when she was a puppy. Once or twice a week for 3 - 6 hours. Our vet put her on Primidone. Worked like a charm. Seizures stopped. Same clinic, different (younger) vet told us how horrible a drug Primidone was, and there are much better drugs on the market. We tried them, none worked. Back to Primidone. Cody died last year of kidney failure. She was 13 years old. I don't believe the Primidone harmed her, as 13 is about the average life span of a dog of her type. And her quality of life was excellent. I write this to let you know two things, just because one vet has a certain treatment regiment he follows , it may not be correct for your dog, and if you have to get expensive drugs for your pet, consider getting them from Canada. Primidone is no longer made in the US, and we were going to have to get it specially formulated. Read - VERY expensive. We got Cody's meds from www.petpharm.org .

If you haven't found them yet - also check out http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-ang ... te_map.htm

I hope this helps, and good luck.

Nadine