Pug Newly Diagnosed with diabetes

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
bbaugh

Pug Newly Diagnosed with diabetes

Post by bbaugh »

Hi I have a pug who just spent last night in doggy er. SHe had to have two iv's one with fluids and the other with inslin. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice about checking blood sugers. Where the best place to get blood samples. My dog is at my regular vet to regulate her blood sugers and to find out the right dose. I will pick her up today at 5:30 or 6:00 pm. mtn standard time. I would also like any kind of info and advice anyone could give me. I am also going to have to change her diet she is highly overweight. She weights 29 pounds. The worst thing I have not been a very good owner to her I feel realy bad. I wish I could have been more careful. All of her life she has been fed from the table. I didn't realy stop to think what I have done. She is now 11 years old. Another concern I have is I have another pug and I am worried about Feeding times. Cause every time I feed them I am going to have to watch to make sure the pug with diabetes doesn't eat the other ones food. Sorry for the lengthy post. I will thank you ahead of time.
Becky
Diana R.

Re: Pug Newly Diagnosed with diabetes

Post by Diana R. »

Becky:

Please don't be so hard on yourself. It is a credit to you that your dog has lived to be 11 years old. I think we are all guilty of feeding our animals too much. My experience with diabetics is more with cats although my pitbull Quincy who lived to be almost 15 years old was diagnosed with diabetes at age 10. My cat Mac who was diabetic for 6 years passed away in July at 16 years old from heart failure. My cat Charlie who has stomatitis was a transient diabetic and I had to have him hospitalized in October 2006. He is no longer diabetic but I monitor him just twice a week now. I would check Mac's and Charlie glucose levels. With Charlie, I purchased an AlphaTRAK monitor that is specifically for cats and dogs. To check glucose, I use an ear vein. Do not use alcohol on the site. I typically massage the base of the ear and then lance the vein in the back of the ear. This glucometer only requires a drop of blood the size of a pin head. The monitor comes with instructions which are self-explanatory. After you stick the vein just hold it off applying pressure with your thumb and forefinger. Test before feeding and administering the insulin. I know with cats diabetic diets are suppose to be high in protein and their diets specifcally formulated for dogs and cats. Good luck and please check back with us. Diana R.
bbaugh

Post by bbaugh »

Diana,
Thanks for your response it is greatly appreaciated. Thanks for the kind words.
Becky
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

You will probably need to feed one of the dogs in a separate room such as the bathroom. Your dog will quickly learn his dinner is there.
bbaugh

Post by bbaugh »

Thanks for the info. I was pleased this morning. Gracie (My Pug) her blood suger was 104. She seems to have more intrest in things.

Thanks again,
Becky