Hi I am new here

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
westminster pet sanctuary

Hi I am new here

Post by westminster pet sanctuary »

Just thought I would introduce myself, my name is Kelli, I run a Sanctuary for cats and special medical needs dogs.

Not limited in the type of special medical needs (we take in blind, amputations, deaf, heart conditions, DM dogs and my "passion" (if you can call it that.).is working with the dogs with epilepsy.

They, I find are the most difficult cases (IMHO) and so many people chose to PTS rather than deal with the epilepsy..which is where our sanctuary comes into the equasion I guess.

We do not take in owner relinquishments..instead the ones that will be euthanised at a pound etc..due to their epi..life or death situations.

We spay/neuter follow vaccine protocol for epi's, have them seen by a neurologist..tinker with the different meds until of course we find the one that gives the dog the best seizure control..

Once "stable" we work to find new loving homes for them..homes that are well "versed" in dealing with epi dogs.

We love them all as family members (epi's and non-epi's alike) and they live with us as members of the family until the perfect home is found.

I guess I should be posting in all the areas since we do have blind dogs, heart dogs, deaf, even a dog given crack cocaine, which induced petite mal seizures.

Have a look at our website (in my signature) and you will see what I mean..

Nice to see we are not alone..and I am thrilled to have stumbled on this site!
Kelli
Westminster Pet Sanctuary
www.westminsterpetsanctuary.com
Paul Coover

Re: Hi I am new here

Post by Paul Coover »

Welcome to the group. I think it is wonderful what you are doing for the handicapped pets of Canada.

We have 6 dachshunds, 2 of which are paralyzed and 1 that was paralyzed but recovered.

Although I have never myself dealt with a pet with epilepsy, I grew up with an uncle who has epilepsy and my wife is epileptic, so I am very familiar with the disease.

Thank you for what you do and welcome!
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:lol: You should definitely stick around; you'll find that we're all birds of a feather! I think it was Beth's Weeble that got into crack as a baby and essentially has pupper cerebral palsy. Here in my house are 2 tripods; 1 blind; 1 ancient, deaf, and cancer survivor; a spinal cord injury; etc.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Welcome, Kelli!
I know you will be such an asset to this group! We all want one thing for our critters (sorry critters) and that is the very BEST for our critters (sorry critters :) )
My own lethal white aussie seized a few months ago, and while I do not know exactly why, it is so reassuring to know what it might or might not be.
WELCOME!
I have two lethal whites, one crippled and one somewhat damaged pup and one insane feral kit.
Attachments
christmas cat in hat.JPG
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/

Thank you so much for your warm welcome!

Yes we have a very special bunch here..ampuatations being done, rage syndrome, cancer dogs, cats missing eyes, limbs, hypothyroid, diabetic, hypoglycemic, deaf, blind, lots of heart patients and of course the epi's..pretty much have had most conditions in our care.

With the epi's..honestly for some reason, they are the ones that are the biggest challenge to us..both for adoptive purposes, treatment procedures (one of our epi's..who is also blind as a result of someone bashing him over the head when he was a pup) broke his two front legs after getting them stuck in a heat vent during a seizure..Our Sanctuary went ahead got the surgery to a tune of $10,000 and today he runs like a gazelle :)

He is our toughest case for epi's..and will not be adopted, but will remain in Sanctuary care forever, which is fine..we adore him. He is on Phenobarbitrol, Potassium Bromide and keppra..costs about $400 a month in meds..but he is worth every dime.(he is the guy in my avatar)

Our Sanctuary believes, and was built on "Quality of life means everything"..as long as there is hope and the animal is not suffering, we do NOT give up!

I hope I may be of assistance to some of the people here that may be new to epilepsy..as I have been dealing with epi dogs (and other conditions) for over 15 years, and have worked with special needs dogs in general for about 10 years.

Gabriel..your lethal white aussie..yes seizures can happen..some dogs are more genetically predispositioned to have seizures and the aussie breed is one that is one that is listed sadly..not linked to the lethal white, but genetically predispositioned to having epilepsy.

All dogs CAN have seizures..some for known reasons..others unknown(idiopathic epi)..there are currently studies being done on genetic markers, medications, etc in canine epilepsy.

Since your boy (is he a boy??) does not have them frequently..that is a good sign. no medications required YET..and maybe never at all.

Our most senior of rescues (and our first)..is Lucky..he is now a 15 year old lab (now has DM), diagnosed at age 2 with idiopathic epi..he would have grand mal seizures (full knock down paddling, and post phase) about 5 times a year. The Vet optted NOT to put him on meds. Then one day..six years ago..the seizures just stopped and he has not had one since (knocking on wood)

anyway..I could yammer and yammer more and I am sorry if I am repeating if you all know about this already, and I am just repeating what everyone already knows :)

Thank you again for the welcome!
Last edited by westminster pet sanctuary on Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelli
ems736336

Post by ems736336 »

Hi Kelli,
Nice to read some of your info on the epi information. We had a cocker spaniel (as a kid, MANY years ago) that had seizures. My mom was a registered nurse and we did much of what you talk about when he had seizures which were quite frequent. Things haven't changed much in all those years in so far as taking care of them while they are having the seizures and recovery after. Ours wanted ice water afterwards and he was always very warm and ran around uncontrollably if not on a leash. He eventually became blind and deaf also but lived to the ripe old age of 14. He was my constant companion from age 9 to 23. He passed away the day before I got married!
I admire your work with these babies and really admire that your whole family is involved. What a great asset you are to these animals and their lives.
Happy Holidays to you, your family and all of your extended animal family.
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

Kelli:

What a wonderful wealth of information that you have shared. Thank you so much!
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You have a GREAT list of seizure hints; can you cut that part out and make it a separate post? If you do, then I, or somebody else, can make it "sticky" so it will stay at the top for newcomers. If I cut it out and post it, for instance, then it'll be listed under my name rather than yours. You might also consider writing a seizure page for the HP "Wiki."

Thank you for your kind words and welcome!

I have cut and pasted...I am unsure what you mean though about writing for the HP Wiki.????.sorry I am a newbie.

I have had some people tell me to write a handbook (believe me when I have an epi transported to me..for every transporter..I leave NO stone uncovered with the "what if's" could happen with an epi especially during transports.

Someday I said I will when I have time, however I think it would be a very "dry read" unless of course you have an epi! LOL.

I have worked closely with Vet's and neurologists over the years..even have my own "Neurosurgeon's Guide to Epilespy" (for humans..but both humans and animals do striking similarities in epilesy..even use the same drugs in most cases.)

So really I guess I am just an epi neurologist wanna be..no formal training ..just 15 years of experience hands on :)
Kelli
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

westminster pet sanctuary wrote:I guess I should be posting in all the areas since we do have blind dogs, heart dogs, deaf, even a dog given crack cocaine, which induced petite mal seizures.
Here is a list of exercises Beth did with her dog who has a condition like cerebral palsy from ingesting or being fed crack cocaine. Beth also has CP, so she understands how to work with him.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/msg/webbbs_config.pl?read=16265
michelleflintagodier

Post by michelleflintagodier »

Hi Kelli, I am also from Ontario, and have visited your website many times. I have many rescue contacts in Ontario, all of them greatly admire your important work. I especially do, since you have saved and helped so many special needs animals. Not many rescues do that, and if they do, it would be a rare event. Thank you and all there for your awesome contributions. It is people like you who have renewed my faith in humanity. I will continue to donate to your sanctuary, as often as possible.

Hey great to see you here, and thank you for the kind words..that means alot. as you know the 'special ones" are the ones am truly grateful that I may be able to help..

Not sure if you remember or not but we took in Sierra the Husky, that was abused and required a leg amputation..she also came with 7 babies (2 days old)..which we had to do an early wean on because Sierra was so sick.

I often have said, give me 10 epi's over 1 healthy pup to rescue..I find healthy puppies the most work of all..not to mention the amount of people that want to adopt that have no experience with the breed..but think they are "pretty" (in this case the Huskies oh MY NOT an easy breed LOL)

I guess we all do what we feel we can best help with..for me it is the "special needs" ones I am in my "comfort zone" with..

give me a fear biter, aggressive dog..I do not do well with(not my area of expertise by any means!!) but ask me to take in a dog missing legs, head trauma, given drugs, paralysed, deaf, blind..whatever..those are the ones I CAN help to the very best of my ability :)

Thanks again for your kind words...
Kelli
michelleflintagodier

Yes, I remember The Husky mom, I saw her on the site but she was unavailable at the time. How is she doing? I have not seen her on the site lately..Am afraid to ask really.

She survived (cost us over $3000.00 as she had every disease and parasite I am sure when she came to us plus the amputation).had the amputation done and spayed at the same time, Then was adopted with her smallest son (the little runt..he was cute!!) to a wonderful family who had just lost their 15 year old Husky to cancer.

We were thrilled for her!! she deserved a great home..and we were so fortunate to have her new forever home to see just how special she is!
Kelli
michelleflintagodier

OH THAT'S GREAT!! THANKS for the update!! (relief!!)