Brief Paralysis

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
coffee_addict

Brief Paralysis

Post by coffee_addict »

Hi,

"China" is a 11.5 year old border collie. Over the last three months, she has 3 times exhibited what I would describe as "brief paralysis". Today on a walk, she ran over to a fenced yard where another dog was contained and we heard a yelp. I could not see her at the time but ran over (30 yards) and she was just laying there on her side in the snow. Eyes wide open, not seeming to be in any pain that I could tell, but just lying there. After maybe 30 seconds, she just got back up like nothing had happened and continued to run around with lots of energy, again, like nothing had happened. My wife has witnessed the other episodes, the last time on a hike where China was whining while she was laying there.

She is generally very healthy but does have a little trouble with stiff joints suggesting some osteo-arthritis.
She is on a raw meat diet (chicken breasts) with supplemental food for complete nutrition.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Brief Paralysis

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Her nerves, joints, legs and spine pretty much okay for her years?
My very limited experience with seizure in animals (much more in humans) AllicksBlindPup seized, her legs were frenetically scissoring and her head thrown back. She is blind w/dermoids, so impossible to see what eyeballs were doing. Mouth open. Maybe 4-5 mins, but her post-ictal lasted for a few hours. Immediately upon 'coming out' of it, she completely lost her map (her layout of the house which is inside of her head) She lost the ability to respond, she paced frantically, banging into furniture, getting stuck behind furniture, lost her bearings completely as well as any sense of caring about it (when a blindpup loses his/her map, you KNOW it because of the immediate change in their attitude) Her nonresponsiveness lasted quite a long time an hour or more.
Which is totally different from what you experienced. Hopefully someone who has a more 'constant' seizure pup will be able to offer a different scenario.
I have a ton of info saved on a word doc, which I would be happy to email you if you like. One tip I did pick up however, is to keep some icecream on hand for a quick sugar 'fix'.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
coffee_addict

Re: Brief Paralysis

Post by coffee_addict »

GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily wrote:Her nerves, joints, legs and spine pretty much okay for her years?
My very limited experience with seizure in animals (much more in humans) AllicksBlindPup seized, her legs were frenetically scissoring and her head thrown back. She is blind w/dermoids, so impossible to see what eyeballs were doing. Mouth open. Maybe 4-5 mins, but her post-ictal lasted for a few hours. Immediately upon 'coming out' of it, she completely lost her map (her layout of the house which is inside of her head) She lost the ability to respond, she paced frantically, banging into furniture, getting stuck behind furniture, lost her bearings completely as well as any sense of caring about it (when a blindpup loses his/her map, you KNOW it because of the immediate change in their attitude) Her nonresponsiveness lasted quite a long time an hour or more.
Which is totally different from what you experienced. Hopefully someone who has a more 'constant' seizure pup will be able to offer a different scenario.
I have a ton of info saved on a word doc, which I would be happy to email you if you like. One tip I did pick up however, is to keep some icecream on hand for a quick sugar 'fix'.
Thanks for your response,
I think our best guess so far is that this might somehow be related to painful anal glands. It sounds weird but I've read that dogs can exhibit what looks like temporary paralysis due to intense pain with impacted anal glands. So tomorrow we go in to the vet to get these expressed and get China otherwise checked out thoroughly.
If we don't get resolution with this then I may ask for your document
Thanks again,
Tom