My Hunter is having Seizures

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
Beth Weeble's:o~ mom

Post by Beth Weeble's:o~ mom »

Cindi~ Angel never had breathing problems while she was on the pheno.Before she was on the pheno the vet had her on primadone....worked wonders, then the price soared. Thats when we put her on the pheno.
Let us know how Hunter is doing.
Beth
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Beth Weeble's:o~ mom wrote:Cindi~ Angel never had breathing problems while she was on the pheno.Before she was on the pheno the vet had her on primadone....worked wonders, then the price soared. Thats when we put her on the pheno.
Let us know how Hunter is doing.
Beth
Thank you Beth....Hunter is feeling well, but I have noticed his breathing is not the same as it used to be. He has a very serious heart murmor, and I am thinking he may have some fluid build up that is making it tougher for him to breath. I am guessing I will have to take him back to the vet this week.
He is eating and drinking well...he did a full tour of the back yard today....and I don't think he is having any pain.
NO seizures since he started Pheno...well...none that I know of
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
dull*women*clean*homes

My tri-collie has been seizing since 2 years-old

Post by dull*women*clean*homes »

Unfortunately epilepsy runs in some collie lines. The breeder said she was unaware of any such activity in his linage-but at 2 he started having grand mals seizures on occassion. The extensive blood work-up yielded no results, so he has what is known as "idiopathic" epilipsy; no known cause. Usually dogs who begin seizing at an older age are more than likely due to a medical condition (rather than genetics).

I am providing a web link to a website that I consult religiously. I've found that my dog has his triggered by paint fumes (never fails) so I avoid certain items in my home.

As far as the ice cream, I keep Breyers all-natureal vanilla ice-cream in the freezer. When he has one (only one ever few months) I give him a tablespoon of it in a bowl. They think seizures may lower the glucose levels in the body-and the ice-cream is supposed to elevate it again. You can also try to give some rescue remedy after the dogs awakes and is very "clingy/needy" and disoriented.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:welcomepurple: dull*women!! Cute handle! :hysterical:
anmic

KBr

Post by anmic »

Hi there - my dog has had about 30 grand mal seizures...no known cause yet andhe is young. I just thought I would add our experience. We tried Pheno alone and it didn't help. Then we added KBr and decreased the pheno..more seizures. Now he has been on both at high doses for a month now with no seizures (knock on wood!)

I think it depends on the dog of course. If you do try KBr make sure to have capsules made. The liquid form is extremely salty and we weren't able to get our dog to take it. The capsules are great...we use a place called the Pet Apothecary here in Milwaukee, WI.

Good luck!
SandyNY

cindidoximom, about hunter

Post by SandyNY »

Now,let me understand:
Hunter has: heart murmur, seizure disorder, IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking ; anything else?
Would you like to be the godmother of Baby Clyde cat? I mean,since you don't mind the ones with 5 or 6 or 7 diagnoses...
I guess I just wasn't paying attention and i didn't catch on that hunter has had so many troubles! I DO hope he continues to do well; sounds like maybe things are going good now - i mean other than the breathing. Does he cough at all?
Nadine

Primadone

Post by Nadine »

I really need to keep in touch with this forum. My golden retriever/springer spaniel had seizures from a young age. Our vet recommended primadone. Worked like a charm. We checked her liver periodically, and there was never any sign of liver damage. Then we ran into the same issue as Beth Weeble's:o~ mom. The price soared. Tried pheno, no good. Tried Kbr. Cody was one of the dogs who got the side effect of paralysis in her hind legs. Then I found out I could get the primadone from a Canadian pharmacy. The price was LESS than I had been paying before the price hike in the US! The Canadian pharmacy was wonderful, and I only had one minor glitch with US customs.