My Hunter is having Seizures

Several types of health problems can cause seizures including diabetes, epilepsy, and tumors.
Cindidoxiemom

My Hunter is having Seizures

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Onset was about two weeks ago, and he has had a total of about 5 that I know of.

He freezes...looses his bladder, and has vocalized once that I know of. They are short lived and he recovers quickly.

They are of unknown origin right now. Blood work showed high calcium values, so he is running a para thyroid, but Hunter's calcium has always been high, and he has had that para thyroid test run before. Cancer is possible, but no other values were out of whack in his blood work, and other than the seizures, he is showing no outward signs of illness.

Hunter is 14, and I am not planning on any heroic measures if this is cancer, so I doubt I will do any MRI's or CT's to look for masses. Right now...just the blood work and meds.
Thoughts about possible causes? I doubt it is anything environmental since I have three other unaffected dogs. He is starting phenobarbital tonight.
Any suggestions?
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Christine

Hunter

Post by Christine »

Oh, Cindy...saying prayers for your Hunter. My only thoughts are that when Bailey lost her sight the first time, she had a seizure..that seemed to be the beginning of her problems. Blood tests confirmed low thyroid and high liver levels. A homeopathic vet prescribed Protozoa -( 11 drops twice a day).
Within two months, Bailey regained her sight and her blood tests came back normal. She did well for about 8 months until a vestibular problem preceeded a return to blindness and arthritis in her hips.

I know none of this might apply to Hunter, but I was impressed to mention the drops as they seemed to help Bailey so much.
You can learn more about them and order them directly from www.hannasherbshop.com. My holistic vet's name is Dr. Laurel Davis in Ashville, NC, 828-254-2221. She never saw Bailey, only gave me phone consultations (3), but helped her so much.

You do so much to help others on this site..I just hope we can something for you and your baby.

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Christine~
I can't thank you enough for your kindness. It is so strange being on "this side" of a pupper issue. I've been taking Hunter's problem with a very calm and logical approach, but your words and sincere concern for my boy brought tears to my eyes. Thank you!

Hunter's liver and kidney values were in normal ranges. I have to wait on the para thyroid.
Thank you for your holistic vet's contacts.
Again...I truly appreciate your taking the time to post.
Cindi
Sage, Misty, Oscar and Hunter

Sage and Misty
Beth Weeble's:o~ mom

Post by Beth Weeble's:o~ mom »

Cindy,
My aussie/Bearded Collie started having seizures when she was about 13 years old. No known cause. Maybe becauuse she was horribly inbred. Meds helped for about 3 years, then those began to fail. She started having petie cluster seizures that would last around 1/2 hour.
Meds do help & I know you won't give up on your Hunter.
He's very lucky to have you as his mom!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Seizures

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Cindi, I have a large file on hard drive on seizing, Allicks seized once (that I know of) and one thing I read is to keep ice cream on hand to put on tongue when seizing.
My sister used to have seizures and so did my mom. Mom's was TIA, my sister was dx'd w/epilepsy, but hers were so few that she never did the regimen.
They can be caused by cross wires (electrical charges) as well as imbalance of brain activity. Also can be assisted by diet, pheno.
I believe critters has a lot of seizure experience and I believe on a daily basis.
I am so sorry you are faced with this...
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Re: Seizures

Post by critters »

GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily wrote:one thing I read is to keep ice cream on hand to put on tongue when seizing.
I believe critters has a lot of seizure experience and I believe on a daily basis.
Experience, yes, but not on a daily basis at this point. :)

Personally, I wouldn't do the ice cream thing because of the inability to swallow during, and possibly immediately after, a seizure; aspiration pneumonia could be a nasty side effect.

Pheno is good stuff, especially after the initial lethargy and all have worn off. Some people swear by potassium bromide (KBr), or a combo with pheno that may allow for the pheno dose to be lowered.

As for causes, at that age you could probably pick almost anything as a possible cause: possible masses, a stroke, perhaps a TIA, etc. I would do as you're doing--treat the seizures, then see what happens. IF it's a mass or other degenerative-type nasty, it will be apparent in time. If, however, it was a small stroke, scar tissue from previous head trauma, or other non-degenerative problem, you'll be right on target. I, too, would decline heroic measures or unduly uncomfortable procedures at this stage, keeping him happy and comfy while watching for future developments.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Beth, Karen, Critters~ First I offer my sincerest thanks for your offerings. I am quite comforted in knowing that I have a vast "people library" of knowledge right here at my fingertips to help me help Hunter. We starte Pheno last night...so I am hoping that this will help control the seizures.
So far he has not had any clusters, and the actually seizures have been very short.
Sage, my oldest pup, had seizure activity from age 8 to about age 11; she only had a handful that I know of, but just as mysteriously as they started...they stopped.
Critters...I will ask about the potassium bromide (KBr). What has been your experience with it? Was it as effective as the pheno? Is it safer?

Thanks again to all of my friends here at HP...
Cindi

Sage and Misty
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Cindidoxiemom wrote:
Critters...I will ask about the potassium bromide (KBr). What has been your experience with it? Was it as effective as the pheno? Is it safer?
I have NO personal experience with KBr, not even through babysitting, but it's been talked about extensively at VetPet. It's reported to be a little easier on the liver than pheno, which is why it can be useful in conjunction with pheno even for cases where pheno must be continued for seizure control. Marista says it's MORE effective than PB, and the first link is loaded with so much stuff I haven't read it all yet.
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Bromide.html
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_po ... omide.html
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Thank you FYI and Critters...I appreciate the information and the links.

Hunter has not had a seizure (that I know of) since Thursday. I'm hoping the pheno is helping! I'll keep you guys updated.
Cindi

Sage and Misty
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Merlin had two seizures, one Friday morning, one Saturday early morning (2 AM.) We are waiting on the blood work. He's almost 10. His were grand mal seizures, very classic. The vet said sometimes, even in older dogs, they can't pin down a cause.

Bobbie
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Bobbie wrote:Merlin had two seizures, one Friday morning, one Saturday early morning (2 AM.) We are waiting on the blood work. He's almost 10. His were grand mal seizures, very classic. The vet said sometimes, even in older dogs, they can't pin down a cause.

Bobbie
I'm sorry to hear about Merlin's seizures...my thoughts are with you guys!
Hunter's fits the classic pattern of a "grand mal" as well...
Are you going to do pheno?
Cindi

Sage and Misty
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Cindidoxiemom wrote: Are you going to do pheno?
Cindi
Not if he doesn't have any more. If he does, and there is no treatable cause, we will. It's scary not knowing and knowing we might not ever know. Jack has epilepsy; that doesn't worry me much as he had his first seizure young and has only had two, months apart. But Merlin's is more likely to have a specific cause.

Bobbie
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Can Pheno cause breathing to be abnormal? Not panting...just deeper than normal?

Sage and Misty
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

It has a sedating effect, I believe, though that supposedly wears off after awhile. I'd ask the vet about the breathing,
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels