VERY SENIOR DOG WILL BE GASSED on Dec. 4th

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in urgent need of being rescued or adopted--within 7 days.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
riccimao

VERY SENIOR DOG WILL BE GASSED on Dec. 4th

Post by riccimao »

IDOLA

A08-2943

BASSETT HOUND PB

ADULT FEMALE

LAST DAY DEC.4

Idola looks so noble, quiet and resigned in her barren concrete cage- she also looks very senior. It’s such a heartbreak to see older pets in such a harsh place as a kill shelter, when they should be spending their final years surrounded by the love of their family and home comforts!

An older dog does not ask much out of life: a warm place to curl up in, a friendly hand to kiss once in a while and a short walk a couple of times a day: that’s the life! No chewing of slippers and costly equipment, no running after cars, no jumping on people and puppy classes: just love, and the sweet company of an affectionate older dear.

Adopting an older pet gives great satisfaction. Because you just know that not everyone has the heart to do that, to see into these old and tired eyes all the love, devotion and loyalty given freely to her human friends, an angelic kindness that unfortunately, for whatever reason, has not been returned to her in her hour of need.
Now, here, cold and alone she awaits to be gassed.

If you can give this older lady a home it would be great, but there are other ways to help. The shelter is rescue friendly and has transport and boarding arrangements for anyone who would want to buy Idola some time so that a rescue or adopter might become aware of her need.

LARGER PHOTOS CAN BE SEEN HERE:

http://www.spaldingcountyanimalshelter.com/dogs1.htm

Contact Spalding at:
Spalding County Animal Shelter
208 Justice Boulevard
Griffin, GA 30224

Phone: 770 - 467- 4772

Fax: 770 - 467- 4771

PLEASE CONTACT THE SPALDING COUNTY ANIMAL SHELTER FOR INFORMATION ON PULLING, BOARDING AND TRANSPORTERS, THEY HAVE A LIST IN THEIR OFFICE.
Attachments
IDOLA senior.jpg
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: VERY SENIOR DOG WILL BE GASSED on Dec. 4th

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

And yes, Georgia still has the gas chamber. Some Animal Controls have evolved to the needle, but some cannot afford it.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Jean

Post by Jean »

WOW, that is a hard site to look at. SIGH
So are you a Volunteer for that shelter?
It looks like they are very rescue friendly and more than willing to help someone find transport for a pet.The last chance pets almost broke my heart. :cry:
The kitty Hoss is such a handsome fellow.
They are only 45 miles from Atlanta.
/Jean
riccimao

Post by riccimao »

Hi and thanks for showing your interest! I am not a volunteer with that shelter, but I am in the habit of checking various kill shelter lists in case some very touching or very unlikely to be adopted animals show up. I hope someone can make it to rescue this elderly madam, she sure could use a warm couch!
riccimao

Post by riccimao »

Jean wrote:WOW, that is a hard site to look at. SIGH
So are you a Volunteer for that shelter?
It looks like they are very rescue friendly and more than willing to help someone find transport for a pet.The last chance pets almost broke my heart. :cry:
The kitty Hoss is such a handsome fellow.
They are only 45 miles from Atlanta.
/Jean
If you know of anyone who would be willing to even just foster Idola that would be great. Have a Happy Holiday!
Christine

Post by Christine »

Bump...can you think of anyone at all who might want to take this sweet girl??
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

I have a possible foster for Idola and am trying to reach Bassett Hound Rescue in Marietta. Going to call the shelter and beg for a few more days for her. All help acepted here!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

The only way shelter will give her any more time (5 days) is if they get an adoption fax and then they charge $5 a day to board her for those five days. My foster home is faxing to them right now and contacting their transport coordinator. She is somewhere between 3 and 6 years old...is that considered senior??? Anyway...I think Idola will have at least a wonderful foster home soon and a fur-ever home eventually. If you are reading this...THANK YOU SHIRLEY and LAURIE!!!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
nez

Post by nez »

is spalding shelter near you christine? I believe they are a gas chamber pound correct? Best of luck with this sweetie ,have a safe day nez
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:trophy: Christine!!!
Christine

Post by Christine »

Final chapter: My friend called the transport coordinator and made arrangments to bring Idola the entire way right to her tommorrow (!!!). She said that she has taken rescues all the way to Canada in the past. Next, Shirley (the foster mom to be, called ahead that she was faxing the adoption papers and was told that Idola had been adopted????

I called and asked for the supervisor of the shelter because we wanted to be absolutely sure that this was the case and not a misunderstanding that would lead to her being put to sleep. Lady answered and said that Brent was not there. I explained why I was calling and in the very nicest way I could, nailed her to the wall about making sure we were talking about the same dog. At that point, she told me that there were actually two Bassets (Idola being one of them) and that the lady who was adopting them was sitting right across the desk from her. I said YAY!!! and called Shirley back, who also said YAY!!! as she has 6 dogs in various stages of adoption and fostering and she was making special provisions to save Idola.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

Christine you have a heart of pure gold.

I am so happy another Georgia dog has been saved. I love my girl so much I think everyone from Canada should have a Gerogia dog, especially a hound!

Lisa and Georgia (beagle mix from kill shelter in Georgia)
nez

Post by nez »

wonderfull news ,i saw it on the homepage,hope they have a forever home, nez
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

How do our oldpups end up this way? It is so heartbreaking after a life time of devotion and love ...
THANK YOU CHRISTINE FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART FOR MAKIN THE DIFFERENCE IN THIS OLD LADY'S LIFE!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
riccimao

Post by riccimao »

YES!!! Thanks so much to all that got involved into this very sad situation, Idola and Ina were both adopted on Dec 2nd, Thank you again, I will always post here whenever a desperate case pops up!
YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!

XXXXXXX