Himalayan W/No Back Feet

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in urgent need of being rescued or adopted--within 7 days.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
CarolC

Re: Himalayan W/No Back Feet

Post by CarolC »

Mine's a dog, do you think I should email them? Just a very short note saying we have no problems here.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Sure :!: :!: I didn't announce species in my note. Besides, between Katie, Merlin, and Betsy (that I know of!), your house CERTAINLY qualifies!!! My main points were that it's unnecessary, too limiting on home possibilities, and may be detrimental if she needs help-- that they learn from each other and that able-bodied sibs can help with such things grooming or deaf or blind guiding.
MamaToManyCritters

Post by MamaToManyCritters »

Oh! I am sorry I hope I didn't cause a problem here? I know I am a newbie and you all don't know me. I posted what Petfinder says. I don't agree with it either. I have two Amputees and they do wonderfully with each other, also have a CD youngster and she is fantastic. I think the other cats help each other since they all host special needs or attributes. I would have loved to help this gorgeous girl.

I will write them as well and let them know what I think. :D Might not matter much but as a Mama to 14 purr kids 9 of which have a special needs or attributes, they could be over protecting her to much.

Shari

Thank you all!
:thankyou:
TenHouseCats

Post by TenHouseCats »

when i spoke with the shelter, i mentioned that i had many friends who have households of multiple cats with disabilities. this kitty is not in any danger, the folks there appear to care deeply for her, and are basing their decision on her on her previous history of being an only cat, and seeming to be scared of the shelter kitty.

these folks aren't our enemy.

MC
Speuter Your Neighbors: Make a Real Difference!

MaryChristine
Special-Needs Coordinator, Purebred Cat Breed Rescue among others
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

Carol:

I will email the shelter sometime today and tell them about my Gracie. And yes we know they are not our enemy and I will emphasize what she can do and how she gets along with the other cats. Gracie also has no back feet; she had been declawed in the front so I was not sure if she was born like that or if it was the result of a bad declaw. However, she was at our no-kill shelter, the Max Fund and was adopted. I saw her on Petfinder a short term later where she had been taken to a rural county "open admission" shelter because of litter box problems. (These people should have brought her back to the MaxFund.) There had been alot of controversy about this shelter---quite honestly I was more concerned that she would be euthanized because of the litter box problems. I called the shelter about her; they called me back right away and I drove the hour north to get her. They were very gracious. Gracie is very fiesty but was such a good surrogate mom to the triplets (2 week old kittens I had gotten from kids who were giving them away) and stayed right with little Oscar when he became ill and who died of FIP. Yes she gets along with some of my cats but not others and definitely not Jack. That has more to do with her personality though (except when it comes to my knucklehead pitbull Jack) than any so-called disability. She has no problem getting around although she does have litter box problems which may be due to the fact that she was mutilated (my term for declaw). But it may help the shelter to know other people's experiences and I give them alot of credit given the fact that they are always innundated with animals and are making special efforts to help this cat. Diana
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

MamaToManyCritters wrote:Oh! I am sorry I hope I didn't cause a problem here? I know I am a newbie and you all don't know me. I posted what Petfinder says. I don't agree with it either. I have two Amputees and they do wonderfully with each other, also have a CD youngster and she is fantastic. I think the other cats help each other since they all host special needs or attributes. I would have loved to help this gorgeous girl.

I will write them as well and let them know what I think. :D Might not matter much but as a Mama to 14 purr kids 9 of which have a special needs or attributes, they could be over protecting her to much.

Shari

Thank you all!
:thankyou:
I think they may be limiting her, too. After all, like I said in my note, almost everybody that takes disabled ones already has disabled ones!! :lol:

PS--You didn't cause a problem.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

MamaToManyCritters wrote:Oh! I am sorry I hope I didn't cause a problem here?
Not in the least, not even remotely. :angel:
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I work with many shelter and rescues. Shelters simply don't have resources for disableds, as they have to euth so many w/o any potential drawbacks. Rescues have an absolute vacuum of fosters and so they cannot pull so many potentialy wonderful family members. This is an epidemic in this country and every animal is URGENT, nevermind those that don't meet the requirements of the receiving shelter. A 5 year old doesn't get a room at our county shelter. They get an immediate needle to oblivion. Municipal shelters are the most confined by no resources. I am glad that Stubby isn't in peril, and we can focus on getting her to her furrever family.

I set up many booths throughout the year to educate the public on handicappedpets and their abilities and rights to life.
In October, at the biggest event of the year, Bendy Kitty's mom joined my education booth with her two-legged kitty.
She had more visitors than I did! Educatin is KEY to saving lives. Yes they can have good lives, we just need to show the world this, in a hands-on environment.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
MamaToManyCritters

TenHouseCats wrote:when i spoke with the shelter, i mentioned that i had many friends who have households of multiple cats with disabilities. this kitty is not in any danger, the folks there appear to care deeply for her, and are basing their decision on her on her previous history of being an only cat, and seeming to be scared of the shelter kitty.

these folks aren't our enemy.

MC

Personally I applaud Fulton Co. for doing whatever it takes to place this darling baby in a purrfect home despite their lack of resources and her special needs. Since most of my background and all of my animals came from shelters or rescues, I certainly do not view any shelter as an enemy. Most do the very best they can with what they have to deal with.

I am sure this beautiful girl is so scared. I bet she gets a great home!

I have a foster cat right now, Theo. Theo was cross bred with goodness knows what, I see Meezer, Manx and Domestic, his legs are so short and stubby at first I thought he couldn't walk. This poor guy has been in the Cat Condo for two weeks now. Poor Baby comes out to eat and use the box, then runs from me again.
Sweet talking my head off. :lol: Though I have to laugh, My Baby Moo Moo (My Little Weeble) LOVES HIM! He seems to have taken a liken to her as well, so I may not have to talk my head off afterall, I will let Moo do the work. :D He seems to follow her so hopefull when she comes over to play or her brushing, Theo will join in.
Thank you all!
:grouph:
Shari :)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

MamaToManyCritters wrote: I have a foster cat right now, Theo. Theo was cross bred with goodness knows what, I see Meezer, Manx and Domestic, his legs are so short and stubby at first I thought he couldn't walk. This poor guy has been in the Cat Condo for two weeks now. Poor Baby comes out to eat and use the box, then runs from me again.
Sweet talking my head off. :lol: Though I have to laugh, My Baby Moo Moo (My Little Weeble) LOVES HIM! He seems to have taken a liken to her as well, so I may not have to talk my head off afterall, I will let Moo do the work. :D He seems to follow her so hopefull when she comes over to play or her brushing, Theo will join in.
Thank you all!
:grouph:
Shari :)
So Moo Moo is a CHer? Yes, she can teach him that you aren't a kitten-eating monster! :mrgreen:
MamaToManyCritters

Yes! Moo Moo is my CHER!! She is my cerebellum cat but quite the DIVA for SURE!! :wow:
LOLOLOLOL! I hope he figures out I eat People food soon and NOT KITTENS! Poor Guy! He is so pretty and sweet! I had to explain to him last night the dogs are NOT going to eat him either! :lol: They cannot even get to him! Cracks me up the dogs stand at the gate and look at the cats, and the cats look back and SAY "NEENER, NEENER, HISS! :mrgreen:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Ari is my CHer. She was the only kitty at the SPCA walk today, so she was the belle of the ball. :mrgreen: She LOVES to go anywhere, slung over my L shoulder like a sack of taters. :mrgreen: http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Homemade_quad_cart_for_a_severely_disabled_cat

Now that we've hijacked Stubby's thread, let nobody say we aren't drawing attention to her post!!!! :hysterical:
MamaToManyCritters

OK. Thought I would share my crew:

CATS:
Oliver: Amputee Right rear foot.
Moo-CH-with Spinal Damage she is so much better on carpet!
Boo Boo-4 Paws Mutilated and All teeth Removed.
General Lee: 1 Eye, other eye removed.
Domino-1 Eye
Lady Humming Purr: Third Eye Lid Issues- Mostly blind. Seems to have some deafness.
Foster-1 Good Eye, 1 Cloudy eye, Partially blind.
Belmont-Belly Issues, Chronic Watery Eyes
Mikey-Deaf
Tinker-DSH, so far healthy
Toby: DSH-Adorable!
Oreo-Obesity!
Cooper-Lost his brother to Distemper, he survived and is wonderful!
Olivia- Healthy now, came into the shelter emaciated, pregnant and almost died. I just loved her purr so she came home with me. She is a tugboat now.

Recently lost my 17 year old Meez to CRF.

All live together in my cat rooms.

Dogs:
Lacy-Former Mill Dog
Pixie-Former Cruelty Confiscation- Tied to a box with NOTHING! Patella issues.
Bootsie: Cruelty-I will not mention this one on the board. Beyond Words.
Jessie-Cruelty-Another not on the board.
Jack: Rescue dog, born at home with me and his mama and siblings.
Janie: Rescue hound from WV-Cruelty, tied to a box with her 8 pups.

This is my wonderful crew!

Hope you all don't mind my sharing.
Thanks!
Shari
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

OMGosh!

What a crew :)

You will be so full of advice and encouragement for I think just about EVERYONE here :) :) :)

The ones whose stories are too horrible for this board, Shari, they found you, you know that, right?

They find us, if they have to turn the world upside down to do it.

They found you, they are so very lucky!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Wow Shari,

I'm so impressed by your animal family !! You're one of us.

Dianne