German Shepherd in Kearney, NE area RESCUED!!!

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in urgent need of being rescued or adopted--within 7 days.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
cricketsmom

Saved! German Shepherd in Kearney, NE area RESCUED!!!

Post by cricketsmom »

This guy's name is Ed. He is a farm dog that came into the clinic where I work in the Kearney, NE area. He can not stand on his back legs. An x-ray rules out a fracture, so it's most likely a blown disc in his back. The owner doesn't want to put any more into him and plans to euthanize. But he and my boss agreed hold off and let me post him here for 7 days. He has until Monday, February 15th. He can pee on his own, but hasn't had a bowel movement in a day or two so that's a concern (UPDATE: he is able to pass a BM just fine). I do not have the funds to pay for the necessary tests to diagnose his condition, so it is uncertain if he will recover. He has some nerves that aren't responding, however, he can still move his legs and can somewhat crawl along. He just cannot support himself to stand. He may be a candidate for a cart. I already have four animals in a tiny apartment, and my land lord will not allow any more :( But please contact me if you are able to take this big guy. He's very sweet and loving and I would be thrilled if he got a second chance.
Attachments
0205001420c.jpg
0205001420a.jpg
0205001420.jpg
Last edited by cricketsmom on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
vet tech and pet mom
CarolC

Re: German Shepherd in Kearney, NE area has until Feb 15th

Post by CarolC »

I agree with you, I would definitely give it time. I would give it a month at least, but my guess is you'll see improvement before then. Is it possible he got kicked or took a fall and has some bruised nerves? Are you noticing any pain? Somehow that seems more likely than a blown disk. If it was my dog, I would want him on prednisone to get any swelling down, and you may see improvement more quickly that way.

Have you called a German Shepherd rescue in the area? You might ask them if they will just foster him for a month and give him time to heal and see how it goes.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NE76.html

http://www.gsdfinder.com/index.php?opti ... Itemid=150

Just another thought, I don't know where they got him but he looks like a really fine dog, sometimes the breeder will take them back if the owner can't keep them. Some breeders feel that way about the dogs they breed, might be worth asking. Possibly the breeder would foster him for 6 weeks or something.
cricketsmom

Post by cricketsmom »

I wish he had a month, but I was lucky just to get him a week. :( He is already on prednisone as of Friday the 5th, when he came in, but so far very little change. Anything that could have injured him is possible since no one saw him get hurt. I know he started acting weak in his back a day or two before he lost his strength to walk behind. He doesn't seem to be in pain, though.
Thanks for the links. I will try to contact a German Shepherd Rescue to see if there's anything they can do.
vet tech and pet mom
Christine

Post by Christine »

Has everyone who can, cross posted Ed? I emailed Betsy for an update.

I just got an answer...we are running out of time, guys...

Thanks for checking in. No home for Ed yet. I've been emailing and trying to contact every rescue in Nebraska. A few no's but mostly nothing at all. I've tried my friends, too, but I'm relatively new to my area so not many to ask. As the week goes on, its harder and harder to imagine losing him. I'm desperate enough I've thought about trying a "rent" a kennel in town or keep him in somebody's barn. lol. Hopefully, something will work out. I just don't know what else to do.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Remember Stephanie, Tama's mom? She wrote me back and I thought I would share this for anyone who might be considering taking Ed:

Oh, I would take him in a heartbeat if I could!! What happened to him, sounds like what happend to my Tama. He had a spinal stroke. No pain, just lost the use of his back legs. We chose NOT to put him down and within a month, he was walking again. His gait was drunken like, but he was walking. Ask your friend if it is possible that he had a Fibrocartilagenous Embolism...it is highly possible and the only test that can possibly show this is an MRI, which was probably not done since they are so expensive. Oh my goodness, he needs more time, this is terrible. If he had a spinal stroke, this wonderful dog WILL walk again, he just needs someone to help him, but he'll get it! Oh, how I wish...

Stephanie is writing Rolling Dog Ranch. Wouldn't that be a match made in heaven?

I am going to keep updating this thread or bumping it ---put on your thinking caps, please... :grouph:
?/1999 - 10/25/08
cricketsmom

Post by cricketsmom »

I already contacted Rolling Dogs Ranch. They said they don't take paralyzed dogs. I tried to explain he could move his legs, but they said anything that can't stand on it's own is by definition paralyzed. They were kind of rude about it, too.... :(
Last edited by cricketsmom on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vet tech and pet mom
slshepherds

Post by slshepherds »

Have you posted on the German Shepherd board (www.germanshepherds.com)? They have a very active "urgent" section and save many dogs.

A month ago I adopted a black lab (Carl). Rolling Dog Ranch and Best Friends had both beencontacted and both refused him because he was paralysed :-(

Joanne
Joanne
Carl, Tiny, Freckles (paralyzed Lab, mix and Red Heeler)
Sam I Am (Lymphoma, Lab)
Eli, Aoibhe, Tesla (limb deformities, GSDs and Lab mix)
Mochridhe (storage disease, GSD)

http://www.straightlegshepherds.org
http://www.paralyzeddogs.org
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Christine wrote: I'm desperate enough I've thought about trying a "rent" a kennel in town or keep him in somebody's barn. lol. Hopefully, something will work out. I just don't know what else to do.[/b]
I think they did that with one of Jean's rescues, boarded him till transport could be arranged, I think the vet even gave lower rates.

I wonder if another local vet could board him for cheap, not many people going on vacation in this weather, probably kennel space.
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

This is another one of those: If I were not so far and if I did not already have four and half dogs ....

Poor guy. Hope he makes it. A lot of people are pulling for him I think.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Daniela of The Daily Tail also emailed Rolling Dog Ranch - I am so sorry that option is out. She is contacting the New England GSD Rescue. I will be back soon to check out some of the other suggestions. Has anyone had a chance to post this on the GSD group mentioned above?
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I just registered and was accepted, will crosspost as soon as I can get my confirmation.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Somebody else register too, I don't have my confirmation yet and I have to go back to work in 25 minutes and will not be able to access email to click the link if they send it, so I probably wouldn't be able to post till after 6 tonight. Please if anyone can do it sooner, please do. Their registration page is short and easy, I just haven't got my confirmation to click yet.
Christine

Post by Christine »

I just posted.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ur ... ost1763586

I also tried emailing Liana Wyant who handled Beth's transport of Weebles to her because Carol found that Kearney, Nebraska was part of that route. Neither of Liana's emails are good anymore. There is also a Vikki and a Cheryl mentioned in that area. Carol's idea of them possibly being part of a rescue group is a possibility we could explore but we don't know how to contact them. Any thoughts...does anyone know them?
?/1999 - 10/25/08
cricketsmom

Post by cricketsmom »

~~~

Important update for everyone: Things just got tougher today. I was going to take him to a kennel closer to my house, but the vet on the case said he won't allow me to do that. He said he wasn't going to "pawn him off somewhere else". He said wherever he goes has to be legitimate and they have to talk to him about a plan outlined for him, he has to be making progress, or he won't release him...Which means he probably wouldn't allow any of my friends to just house him for me either. They have to want the dog, not keep him because I ask them to. He said we would discuss things next week, so it's not an automatic death sentence on Monday anymore, but my options are very limited. If we get someone seriously interested, my email is betsyquandt@gmail.com or betsygray.418@gmail.com and I will give you the information needed for my clinic and the vet on the case, etc.

It is very emotionally taxing for me to deal with so much resistance when I'm trying to do what I think is right, so I'm pretty worn out. I will keep trying, but I can't afford to get in a fight with the vet over it. If he puts his foot down, there won't be anything more I can do...

On a happier note, Ed stood all the way up briefly this morning, so his chances of recovering are looking a little better. For that, I have a little hope still.

Oh and I also posted Ed on the GSD rescue last night. I didn't know someone else was going to do it too, so he has multiple posts now :) http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/no ... anger.html
vet tech and pet mom
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

This guy's case reminds me so much of St.JudeMiracleDog. he was shot and crushed and I had to beg money to get doc to run any tests, (I even raised enough $$ for surgery) and even after I did that, the dog belonged to the vet, and he sched. euth. I will tell you St.Jude & I won our battle, but it was a long, flattening one, marked by sobs and utter despair. St.Jude had 7 great years. Your situation sounds pretty bleak unless someone exp. comes forward. I am so sorry for what you are going through. I understand comletely. I would stand at my mom's grave, sobbing to her to help St.Jude. I comletely understand your anguish. And I THANK you for fighting so hard for him. He is a beauty, he doesn't deserve this and as someone remarked, it was no doubt farm equipment that caused his injury, so the OWNER relegates his responsibility onto you. Gads.

My heart is with you.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/