German Shepherd in Kearney, NE area RESCUED!!!

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in urgent need of being rescued or adopted--within 7 days.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
CarolC

Re: German Shepherd in Kearney, NE area has until Feb 15th

Post by CarolC »

I think he is just in a position where he must ensure the good of the pet and he cannot have it be said in the veterinary or petowners community that someone took a dog to his practice and it was down in the rear, and he let it be sent out to some who did not have the background to be responsible with it, such as someone who loves pets but has no medical knowledge. If you could find another vet tech to rest him at home, or possibly a human nurse or someone in the physical rehabilitation field or a pet owner with previous experience with this, and then he could discuss with them that the plan is to give the prednisone on schedule and strictly rest the dog under his orders and bring him back once a week or something so he has documentation that proper treatment was given, he might be more likely to agree. And if you say that in the meantime you are are researching and saving for a wheelchair just in case he needs it...which may not be possible financially, I am just trying to paint a picture of something that might sound like a plan he would accept... I am totally behind you on what you are trying to do for this dog and his improvement is speaking for itself. I guess I am saying the vet probably would not let the dog go out to be rested at just anyone's house, but he might allow it to the right person's house. Do you know what I mean? I can't speak for him, I just feel like that is what he means by a plan. He is responsible for the dogs brought to his practice, he does need to have some control and oversight for the good of the pet and to meet his professional obiligations and avoid a complaint to the licensing board.
cricketsmom

Post by cricketsmom »

Yes, I'm sure he does understand simple rest. He said Ed is a nice dog and he'd like to see him live out his life, too. But he said Ed has to be making progress or basically we're just wasting our time. I mentioned a wheelchair and he said it wasn't fair to make him live his life like that. I asked him if he'd ever seen a dog in a cart and he said yes, so it must have been a dog that he thought wasn't happy. That doesn't seem to be an acceptable option.
He would release him to someone he felt was capable, yes, but I've tried my parents and my husband's parents and every friend and family member I know both in Missouri and Nebraska, that loves animals and might consider another dog. They are all full with their own animals. And I've tried every rescue in the state and some outside the state. Basically, I'm out of people. His owner needs answers as to what's going to happen to the dog, and he wouldn't appreciate me keeping him alive if I don't have a plan like my vet said. They need a decision and soon, or I'm just in the way.
I guess what it comes down to, is that Ed either has to start walking over the weekend (so perhaps his owner would take him back) or someone has to foster him or adopt him as he is....
Heaven knows I would, but my husband and landlord won't allow another dog in my place.
vet tech and pet mom
cricketsmom

Post by cricketsmom »

Thank you. I have emailed the ones I didn't have before. I am currently in correspondence with Laura Bradshaw of Healing Heart Sanctuary in Utah. She is full, but is following some leads for me as well. Hopefully this story can still have a happy ending
vet tech and pet mom
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Healing Hearts! Nothing more fitting on St.Valentine's Day. I smell a miracle about to happen :candle: Praying for that miracle. And for your continued strength and love and courage. Thank you so much for what you are doing. I hope you have a basket full of love today!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi cricketsmom,

Can you clarify if the clinic will allow him to be transported out of the area?
cricketsmom

Post by cricketsmom »

I haven't asked that question directly but that is the understanding. I think he is ok to be transported as long as he knows exactly where the dog is going and what kind of people will be caring for him.
vet tech and pet mom
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Thanks! Do you want to add that info to the gsd board, someone replied there and it might make a difference if they knew he could be transported, and people on this board have experience with transporting.
cricketsmom

Post by cricketsmom »

Ok, I added that information (to both of his posts message boards). Also, Carol and Christine, if someone is willing to take him and he must be transported, would one of you be willing to contact the veterinarian directly and explain how it works? He will want to know, and it would be best coming from someone who knows what they are talking about.
vet tech and pet mom
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I'd be happy too, to explain the rescue railroads. The internet has saved so many lives, and if you visit the transport forum, you will get an idea of what is involved. I have had two come in on RR and I drive every leg I am able for any dog, any need any one, who comes through my transport territory. There is a dog in the emergency forum who was transported parapup, as was my own AngelTillman. There are precautions taken and the coordinator and drivers all abide by them. Special_needs_rescue_dogs a yahoogroup, does a LOT of parapup transports. In fact, if you aren't special needs, do not post there.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily (Karen) :thankyou:
Christine

Post by Christine »

bumping and praying
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
cricketsmom

Post by cricketsmom »

I got a call tonight from Laura, and they have a foster home that will take Ed!! He will be off site, but receiving therapy at their sanctuary. She is working on the logistics of the transport. I just have to talk to the veterinarian tomorrow. It's a long way for Ed to travel, so hopefully he will agree to this plan. Only when he gives the ok will I know Ed is safe. Please keep praying and we'll find out tomorrow!!
vet tech and pet mom
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hallelujah chorus! Ohmygosh, I think a bunch of us are glued to this thread. This is such good news. Surely he will allow it, he wants Ed to live and now he will have therapy! It's about a 14-hour drive on Mapquest, that's really good, it could so easily have been the east coast or someplace really far away.