Cleveland, GA-Broken Spirit on her own too long-RIP Reva

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in urgent need of being rescued or adopted--within 7 days.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
Christine

Cleveland, GA-Broken Spirit on her own too long-RIP Reva

Post by Christine »

Please cross post. This little girl needs a loving home, she's tried it on her own way too long.

I am writing today, 4-28-10, about a real life saga. I hope you can take a moment to consider it and think of anyone to forward this story to as our very recognition creates acts of love and eventual direction.

This dog has been hanging around for more than a year; across the road by field and wood's edge from Linda's Chevron; Hwy 129 N about half way between Cleveland Ga. and Turners Corner.

Many people have noticed and each time seeing her laying out there to warm in the sun; would turn around; head into Linda's for an egg biscuit; or intentionally save some of Sunday church potluck and drop it off for the girl. To our dismay, she would never let you get close.

Seasons change and a couple of us took a large rubber garbage pail with straw inside and boards anchored underneath to stabilize and placed it in the woods. Thing is; I doubt she ever used it; cause it had only one way in and one way out.

A week; even 2 would pass and I wouldn't see her and neither did the neighbor close by who fed her many times. We thought maybe she had found a trusted human friend and only occasionally showed up for the rest of us so we could remember compassion and grace.

I saw her last week and realized; she hadn’t found that loving friend; I could see several of her ribs from my car as I passed by. I called the neighbor and she got some food out there for her pronto. Later that day; on my way back home; I saw she had moved closer to the neighbors house and in a soft rain; resting in the ditch. . Not hurt; but with a gimpy hip; she simply had no extra energy to cross back over to wherever she's been hiding.

It was an Obvious call for help and I pulled in their driveway and thankfully both folks were home. With close to an hour of slow coaxing and some heavier lifting by Bobby; we got her to a pen and some good food; an aspirin and some fish oil.

What we need right now is some help; a foster situation until we can get this story out there because This Dog has lived on her own through cold and wind and wet and heat and fleas and right now---there is someone waiting for her because she has a broken spirit. She needs the daily containment in safety; some good food and comfort and loving words. If she was let out; her instinct would be to run away still and she is no longer able to defend herself in the wild.

Here is the bottom line, due to certain circumstances the lady that currently has the dog is unable to keep her much longer. If we don't find someone that will foster her or care for her the only choice is to call Animal Control which will mean certain euthanizing; because they don't have enough room. PLEASE HELP. This truly is a situation that we need ACTION ASAP.

If you can help; have suggestions; a place and time; we all have 4 dogs or more ourselves and need some help. Contact me by e-mail or a message on my phone--I will check daily. Thanks so much. Time is of the essence! Send to ALL of your heart friends; my e-mail capacity isn't at par.

If the picture doesn't come through on this e-mail; let me know; I will try again and get that right before you send out.

Thanks Friends

Diane West

706-348-8189
igowest23@gmail.com
Attachments
Dog 002.jpg
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
LisainCAN

Re: Clevleand, GA - Broken Spirit on her own too long

Post by LisainCAN »

Sigh.

Can you get her to Canada? I have a soft spot for the old and broken ones. Wish I really could take her.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Awwww.....Lisa, she would be in Heaven on earth with you and your other babies, two and four footed.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

bumping
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

bump...bump...bump
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Please give this little one a second look and send her story out.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
cricketsmom

Post by cricketsmom »

Has this gal had anyone interested? how much time does she have?
vet tech and pet mom
Christine

Re: Cleveland, GA - Broken Spirit on her own too long

Post by Christine »

Hi Betsy!

The situation is that the people who allowed her to stay in the pen with their dog may have to leave at a moment's notice. They are trying to find another, at least temporary foster, place for her until a permanent home can be found. Diane will give us some more information when it happens. Did you get moved?
?/1999 - 10/25/08
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

I have way more animals than I'm allowed (15 dogs/10+ cats) and so I cannot take her in, although it breaks my heart not to. But would'nt it help if I (and those who are able to) donate money to the one of us that can take her in? To help with the cost of travel expenses, etc. Please let me know. I would gladly help with getting her to her "new home" destination if someone can take her in. I know it might involve vet costs to get her vaccinated if she's to fly somewhere, unless someone were to drive and pick her up. I don't know how this works because all my rescues are local. I will keep looking for updates and I will post this on my facebook page to all my "animal lovin'" friends. With a "group effort" we can do this.
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"
"Sometimes..When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

Words I live by from "Velveteen Rabbit"
Christine

Post by Christine »

Oh, thank you for doing that. I have her on my Facebook page too. The more of us who do that and send it to anyone remotely interested who might have other friends interested will get the word out. She so deserves a chance.

Diane mentioned that they are in the process of setting up something to accept donations for the vet care for her. Once we have more details, she or I will post this information. I understand the vet has agreed to give them a reduced rate on the rabies and DHLLP vacationations (I am not even going to change the spelling on that - can you tell where my alter ego is right now!)
?/1999 - 10/25/08
cricketsmom

Post by cricketsmom »

Hi Christine,
No I am not moved yet... won't be til at least the middle of the month. Since Ed the german shepherd didn't need to come back, we told our landlord to take his time fixing up the new place (so it's done right). Therefore, it's been delayed for a while now. I'm interested if someone could keep her safe until the new place is ready, and if I have some help with transport. However, my home isn't a match for every dog... I work full time and have 3 cats and a dog. It's just my husband and I right now, but in the next year or two it may include a baby. So she wouldn't have constant attention. I'm not sure if that would work for a troubled dog like her. That said, my current animals are very happy. Thoughts?
vet tech and pet mom
Christine

Post by Christine »

I'm glad you are finally getting the place you wanted and I know your animals are happy - no doubt about that. At this point, she is sharing a pen with another dog and is being walked by the husband of the household and seems to be doing well with that. After her vet visit, we will have more information from Diane. As far as transport, there have been offers of donations for both transport and the vet visit. When the time comes, we will ask for help from the Rescue Railroad.

Thanks for opening up the possibility. We will all work together to make sure that she is the right match for her new family. We should have some more information on Tuesday or Wednesday.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

For anyone who may have made a note of Diane's email, she has changed it to one with more storage. This one will only contain emails about this rescue effort. I changed it in the post above, but here it is, as well: igowest23@gmail.com
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Diane has submitted a story to our local paper and we are trying to come up with a name for her to make her more real to people who are reading about her. So far, Reva, which mean "return to health, return to life" is the forerunner. Any other suggestions?

Meanwhile, she sits and patiently waits for the next turn in her little life.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Oh, how I wish I could take this doggie. Every time I see her face my heart wrenches in pain. She is so desperate for love and a home. You can see in her expression that she is just so tired. I rescued a dog once just like her, only all white. Same look...except she had apparently been dumped after having puppies and was so depressed because she couldn't find them. Good ending though, I took her "Molly" home, she adopted my Rotty as her baby, and lived 10 more wonderful years with me.

As far as names, Reva sounds great. I've been referring to her as "Spirit" when posting her story on facebook, just to have something to call her by. One of my friends said she looks like a "Georgia" and another friend said she'd call her "Lady". My husband said she should be called "Belle" because she looks like a southern belle down on her luck after the rampages of the Civil War.

I'm still putting the word out. She deserves the best after all she's gone through. :wub:
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"
"Sometimes..When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

Words I live by from "Velveteen Rabbit"