Ringold, GA Blind Deaf Aussie 1 y/o NEPTUNE URGENT!!

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in urgent need of being rescued or adopted--within 7 days.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
Christine

Saved! Ringold, GA Blind Deaf Aussie 1 y/o NEPTUNE URGENT!!

Post by Christine »

Hello Ladies,

I'm Heather, the adoption coordinator for the rescue that found a foster for the blind and deaf aussie (below). Although he is a wonderful dog most of the time, he is beginning to have some issues. He's only 10 months old. Below is his bio and I've attached some photos of this boy.

His foster is very dog savvy and has 3 dogs of her own. She is patient with Neptune but, now when taken for a walk on leash, if he doesn't get his way he starts snapping. We are not sure at all how to handle this problem. We could use some help placing him in a home and possibly another foster home.

We know that no one said it would be easy, but with no experience in this area, it can be difficult.

Neptune is a 10 month old deaf and (mostly) blind dog, but he does have limited vision in his left eye. He weighs 34 lbs, is up to date with all vaccines and is neutered. He is crate trained and house trained. He gets around his foster home quite easily, only occasionally bumping into something or someone. He can manipulate stairs very well. He loves going for walks and enjoys playing with other dogs. He loves to cuddle and will roll on his back for a good belly rub. Neptune is good in the car, but he does need some practice getting in and out. We are working on basic commands and learning not to pull on the leash when we go on walks. He cannot be taken to the dog park because blind and deaf dogs cannot hear or see the signals that other dogs give them. When outside he needs to be on a leash if not in a secure fenced area. When you go out you should have a safe place to put him. A crate is ideal. Neptune is calm and sweet and will make someone a constant companion.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. You can reach me at 423-605-9917 or contact Kathy , who is his foster and my neighbor
at 423-580-1281.

Thank you so much

Heather
Attachments
Neptune.jpg
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
troopersmommy

Re: Ringold, GA Blind Deaf Aussie 10 months old NEPTUNE

Post by troopersmommy »

Oh, Christine, I'm so glad you posted Neptune here. I thought you might. He's so beautiful, reminds me of my very first rescue, my heart dog Mannie. I know how tough it is to have a deaf and blind animal. My heart cat, Fuzzy, has become almost totally blind, and partially deaf. He's 16 now and has dealt with chronic respiratory disease since birth. I've had him in this house since he was 7 days old, so fortunately he knows the layout of the house very well. But I've had to re-order the house to low levels so he won't fall off anything. He still eats normally, drinks water, but mostly sleeps. It is taking him a while to get used to his vision problem, poor baby.

I hope there is someone out there that can give Ringold a chance to show how normal he can be with the right care. I know Fuzzy is okay with my little dogs, but he's uncomfortable with his long-time kitty mates, mostly because the dogs pretty much ignore him. He doesn't like anything touching him, especially his whiskers. Anyway, Ringold is young and should be able to adapt very well, as long as he finds someone who can learn to adapt to his needs as well.
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"
"Sometimes..When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

Words I live by from "Velveteen Rabbit"
Christine

Turn of Events for Neptune - 4/23 Deadline

Post by Christine »

Heather and Kathy have come to a crossroads with Neptune, the precious blind/deaf aussie mix. He needs a new foster or permanent home and the ability for the special training that will make him that perfect family member. He has been loved and well cared for, but he still does not understand exactly how he fits in. The heartbreaking decision to return him to a shelter is the only alternative unless someone steps up.

To Whom It May Concern,

I'm Heather, the adoption coordinator for For The Love Of Dogs. In January we pulled a partially blind and deaf aussie mix from the Catoosa County shelter, in hopes of giving him a second chance.

While we understand that the adoption rate for this kind of dog is low, there are certainly groups out there that have a higher rate for this kind of adoption...and while we love Neptune, his time with our foster is endangering other dogs that could be saved.

He is currently living with our foster (Kathy Dolloff) and her 3 other dogs. He is starting to challenge his foster mom and can cause disruption in the household at any given time. She has worked with him on his obedience, but with out any experience in this area it has become difficult at best. He has to be muzzled to be leashed walked.
His foster works full time and has 3 other dogs of her own to care for. Even with her heart in the right place she lacks the experience and knowledge to work with a dog like Neptune.

We need to find a place for Neptune to go...no later than April 23rd or he will have to be put back into shelter care.
We sent out a plea earlier and no one seemed to want to answer or take us seriously.

I know how overwhelming it can be, if you are like us, you get calls EVERY day regarding dogs in need. We try to work with other rescues and shelters in the area and just asking someone to step up and help with Neptune...his time is limited in this foster home, please help!

Heather
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Crossposted to http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/index.php.

Has anyone emailed this to gabrieldeafblindpupfamily

or posted it to http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Leth ... sieRescue/ ?
Christine

Post by Christine »

Thanks for crossposting, Carol....I did write to Karen and her friend Dede Splitt. I will see if I can post to the other site you mentioned.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Re: Ringold, GA Blind Deaf Aussie 1 y/o NEPTUNE URGENT!!

Post by Christine »

The clock is ticking for this little guy so I moved him to URGENT.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Did he get posted to the Yahoo group? His fosters could join that group and post if they haven't already, do they know?
Christine

Neptune is a little character..no shelter, please

Post by Christine »

Here is detailed information on Neptune's skills, character and where he needs guidance in addition to some pictures just taken in the past day. He needs a special human to call his own....I know you are out there and you know of someone. Please don't let him go to a shelter, he just won't understand and he will not make it.

This is from Kathy, his foster mom for the past few months:

Attached are some photo's of Neptune. Thanks for posting. I've also jotted down some information and observations about Neptune for the group. They are in no particular order.

· He is crate trained. After our evening potty he goes straight to his crate without being told.

· He is house trained and has had short periods of unsupervised time in the house. I would not leave him loose in the house for long periods of time since he gets bored easily.

· He turned one year old on April 10. He weighted 35lbs when I got him but has probably put on a little weight.

· He counter surfs and can open a trash can with a lid using his nose.

· I have taught him sit and down.

· He can entertain himself with toys/tugs. They should be rugged toys since he is a chewer. He likes nylabones, beef marrow bones, and stuffed kongs.

· He is people and pet friendly, but he has no social skills and will jump on you.

· He plays better with a dog around the same size as he is. He is allowed to play with my 25lb Beagle mix under supervision. He gets frustrated when he wants to play and Cooper doesn't and will bark at him and try to chase him or jump on him.

· I have always fed him in a different location than my other dogs. He recently has shown signs of food aggression so I have begun hand feeding him. This is one area I have some experience.

· Since he nips and has bitten me during leash training/walking I have trained him to wear a muzzle.

· He pulls when walked. I spent a lot of time initially trying to train him to walk without pulling. We did a lot of directional work. I used a prong collar with limited success. I prefer not to use it with him. He gets overexcited during a walk and I have been unable to get him in a calm state during a walk. Walking him on a hot day helps slow him down some. He has the occasional temper tantrum. I have pretty much given up walking him since he wears me out. My husband has taken him out a couple of times but he weighs almost twice as much as me so he can keep Neptune under control.

· Neptune is a high energy dog and needs 45 minutes to 1 hour of exercise a day at a minimum. My first two dogs were Australian Shepherds so I am used to high energy dogs. When my Aussies were alive I hiked them for an hour each day during the week and longer hikes on the weekend with my husband (until they became seniors). Neptune needs a way to drain his excess energy-a good run or a tread mill would be ideal.

· A major hurdle for Neptune is to learn how to walk with other dogs/people, something which he cannot currently do. After working an 8 hour day and walking my other dogs (which I do twice a day) that leaves me with little time and energy for Neptune.

· He will sometimes bark for what seems like no reason. My dogs look at him and wonder what is up, but they never bark when Neptune barks.

· He likes to snuggle and enjoys belly rubs. He will roll over and show you his belly anytime you like.

· He stands perfectly still when being groomed. You can wipe him (and his paws) with a towel. He enjoys anything that involves touching him. He doesn't like going into the tub but is fine during the bath.

I had Neptune evaluated and was told that with the right person Neptune could reach his full potential and be a great companion. It will take time and patience. I cannot be a long term foster Mom to Neptune. I truly am not the right person for Neptune. I will be going out of town soon and need to re-home him. I know there is someone out there who is better equipped to work with a special needs dog. Please help.

Kathy D.
Attachments
neptune3.JPG
neptune2.jpg
new neptune.JPG
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

I just joined the Lethal White Yahoo group so I can post about him. (Don't know where my mind was, but I actually thought you meant you had already posted to it. I promised Heather and Kathy I would post him for them.)
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Neptune has a new foster mommy, Daniele! She is taking him to Asheville, North Carolina. Sigh....... :wub:
?/1999 - 10/25/08