Charlotte, NC Senior Welsh CorgiCardigan hit by car PTS 3/11

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in urgent need of being rescued or adopted--within 7 days.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
Christine

Saved! Charlotte, NC Senior Welsh CorgiCardigan hit by car PTS 3/11

Post by Christine »

Here is a real Terry that needs a hero,please help
Please we rallied for Terry the lab, whether it truly was hoax or not, this boy is not please share him far and wide, he needs a hero♥

If you can help, please *****DO NOT CONTACT ME*****. Contact LORI TODD!!!!!! She is kennel Manager at Charlotte Mecklenberg, NC shelter. She will have to decide Monday as to whether he gets PTS. PLEASE SHARE!!!!!

Lori Todd- ltodd@cmpd.org

704-336-6693
Claudia

To:

Sent: 4/9/2011 5:27:01 PM

Subject: Craigslist posting Charlotte NC----please read and cross post

This dog who is in the shelter and also named Terry. He is also elderly, around 13-14 years old. His family has decided that they will not be coming to reclaim him as he was hit by a car. and they do not have the money to get him help. I have attached the medical exam that we preformed on the dog. He also needs a place to go. So even if we could not help the fake Terry, we can help this real one. Due to his medical needs I will need to make the hard decision on this Monday. He is currently clean, eating and on pain control meds.

This e-mail is in reference to the craigslist posting about an elderly black lab named Terry. Myself and several co-workers have physically walked the kennels and checked the computer logs for any dog matching this description. After attempting to contact the owner and author of the craigslist posting, they removed the listing. It is our opinion that this was a cruel joke by a very unfunny person. However, it may have a good result if anyone can help the dog listed below.
Add a description
Please we rallied for Terry the lab, whether it truly was hoax or not, this boy is not please share him far and wide, he needs a hero<3

If you can help, please *****DO NOT CONTACT ME*****. Contact LORI TODD!!!!!! She is kennel Manager at Charlotte Mecklenberg, NC shelter. She will have to decide Monday as to whether he gets PTS. PLEASE SHARE!!!!!

Lori Todd- ltodd@cmpd.org

704-336-6693

Claudia

To:

Sent: 4/9/2011 5:27:01 PM

please read and cross post

This dog who is in the shelter and also named Terry. He is also elderly, around 13-14 years old. His family has decided that they will not be coming to reclaim him as he was hit by a car. and they do not have the money to get him help. I have attached the medical exam that we preformed on the dog. He also needs a place to go. So even if we could not help the fake Terry, we can help this real one. Due to his medical needs I will need to make the hard decision on this Monday. He is currently clean, eating and on pain control meds.

This e-mail is in reference to the craigslist posting about an elderly black lab named Terry. Myself and several co-workers have physically walked the kennels and checked the computer logs for any dog matching this description. After attempting to contact the owner and author of the craigslist posting, they removed the listing. It is our opinion that this was a cruel joke by a very unfunny person. However, it may have a good result if anyone can help the dog listed below.

Old Unwanted Dog Terry - FREE (Charlotte)
Date: 2011-04-08, 12:17PM EDT
*Reply to: comm-nwzat-23128555 45@craigslist. org (at craigslist.org)

[Errors when replying to ads?]

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -

Meet Terry. For several years he was the delight of my two kids. Terry's gotten on in years now, and we don't need or want him anymore. Would anyone like to adopt a kind old dog? We don't want to take him to the animal shelter but it's looking like that's our only alternative. He used to play and stuff, but now all he does is mope around the house begging for attention.

No re-homing fees, will include 10 lb. bag of food, and all of his toys.

a.. Location: Charlotte
(I tried contacting the poster as well and the email came back - now the post is gone. Sad that people are so cruel as to post hoaxes, but you can never be sure.)
Attachments
Terry.jpg
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Re: Charlotte, NC Senior Welsh CorgiCardigan hit by car PTS

Post by Christine »

This email is from Special Needs Rescue Dogs Yahoo Group. I THINK it is about the same dog pictured. (I have written to the poster to find out.) If it is, it give more information. If it is not, how devastating that two dogs are suffering the same fate.
To: 'noahsarksrescue@ mac.com'
Cc: 'Peggy Matte'; 'manning82@bellsout h.net'; 'OOHW-Carolinas@ yahoogroups. com'
Subject: FW: [OOHW-Carolinas] My neighborhood dog, please read...it is long sorry

Hello,
I work with Out of Harms Way, an individualized rescue group here in NC/SC area & have seen your many emails about truly needy animals….so I am sending you one that has touched my heart.
My husband & I had to ‘chase’ down a dog Tuesday night before midnight as it was freezing outside & this dog looked like it had been hit by a car or something. We knew something was wrong as the dog, now known to be named Terry, was dragging himself along the grass near our home. Once we got close enough to look at the dog I realized I had seen this dog about a year ago when we moved into our rental & at that time he was a normal looking four-legged dog. We live out in the woods & the cars travel pretty quick out here as there is not a lot of traffic. I remembered seeing this dog who looked very sweet, timid, very fluffy with an amazing fox-like bushy tail!
Anyway, we managed to block the dog from further dragging himself along he gravel road & we knew instantly he had been hit by a car & it was an ‘OLD’ wound that was NEVER tended to!!! This poor dog was now paralyzed & dragging his back two legs underneath him. We were literally walking to block him from going anywhere so we could get him some help as he was bleeding all over the road.
Russell, my husband, finally got the dog up, out of the road & Terry of course nipped a tiny bit to warn Russell not to hurt him….Terry was so scared & smelled of skunk spray. We got Terry a towel, a kennel & I got to hold him & rub this poor dog under a towel for a few minutes. He seemed to relax & understand we were not going to hurt him. Once we got Terry settled into the kennel with some warm blankets, food & water I called 3-1-1.
Jimmy, I think, came from AC & picked up the dog with no worries & we looked Terry over. He is a fully intact male, of course, who was bleeding from what looked like calluses from where he had been dragging his feet behind him for a while. These calluses were now fully opened wounds/sores. I explained the ‘nip’ & let The AC officer picked Terry up with hopes of finding a chip & his owners but I figured they would not come forward.
Wednesday I drove around stopping at the different houses in my neighborhood trying to find the owner of Terry. Once I found the owner I was just horrified with her comments & disregard for the life of Terry. The owner said that Terry, who she thinks is 15 years old, looked like he was going to die so she would just leave him at animal control & not go get him! She also stated that he must have been hit by a car because she ‘thought’ he looked like his legs were not working!! She never went out to look at him! She did not take him to a vet to see if they could help him in the pain he had to have been enduring as BOTH of his rear legs are no longer moving! How does he use the bathroom? How does he do anything as she said he was on a leash tied to a tree, tied up & could not do anything but drag himself where he ‘could’ reach!
She is a widow, raising a 17 year old granddaughter who has already gotten a new dog who is full of tape worms! This new pup, named Chico, is now tied up with a leash to the back door railing laying in his worm infested poop. I told her I would get her an application to get her new puppy neutered & take him if she needed me to. I thought I would work on finding him a home & lie to her & say the poor pup died. I hope that AC can issue her a citation or ban her from owning another pet rather than lying but I fear another animal in her hands.
I felt so bad for Terry & had to finally leave as my head was aching from smiling & trying to be nice so I could help Terry….but my kids saw me in the car driving back home crying for this poor dog!
Terry was hit by a car within the last year, drug himself home after being hit, he had to be in such terrible pain as both of his rear legs are completely paralyzed & he NEVER received any medical treatment. I am sure he will be HW+!! The new puppy Chico, is full of tape worms & when I told the grandmother she acted like he should be put out to pasture too!
So please, if you can help Terry I will do as much as I can to help him get out of CMACC, transport him to vet appointments, etc as I do not have a lot of money to offer but I can find a way for him! He needs a cart & somewhere to feel loved for the first time ever in his life & somewhere to spend his last years (I hope). This boy, Terry, who has shown he has a strong will to live after being hit by a car/truck/something . He got himself home, suffered through the pain, is now paralyzed, yet ALIVE & still sweet enough to let you pick him up & help him….with the most SAD eyes I have ever seen but an amazing will to survive.
The owner made it very clear she will NOT be coming to re-claim him, so Terry needs us now to finally help him live.
If you can help, please do….as this one hurts my husband & myself & I can’t stop crying for Terry~
Kelly Anne
OOHW
704-728-9845 cell
Manning82@bellsouth .net
Terry is at CMACC & all of his information is listed below:

This DOG - ID#A1004398

I am an unaltered male, brown Welsh Corgi - Cardigan mix.

My age is unknown.

I was picked up in Charlotte.
I have been at the shelter since Apr 05, 2011.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

I apologize that these emails are not cleaned up more, but I am on my way to work and time is of the essence for this dog.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I am now very confused about which is the original posting for the Corgi mix. I could post him to Corgi Rescue but I have no idea what information to post. I emailed for pictures last night but now I see one; but now the post is so contorted I don't know what to cross post about the actual corgi mix. Is there an original link?

Edited: I sent contact info for N/S Carolina corgi rescue to both emails (the OP and the Special needs poster) but I have to say I would not be very hopeful of rescue as based on age and condition of the dog and how full most rescues are with adoptable dogs I think it is unlikely one would be able to take him.

There is a special place in #### for those people who would abandon their dog because it is injured and they don't want to accept the responsibility for it.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Christine

Post by Christine »

Thanks, Bobbie. Everything refers to him except the quote starting out Old Unwanted Dog - FREE. There is a lot of activity on him on Facebook and a ChipIn has been started. If you go to my Facebook page (Christine Hubal) you will see some of the activity. I am feeling better about his chances.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

OH, WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HELP THIS POOR DOGGIE! :cry:

THIS REMINDS ME OF WHEN I TOOK TROOPER (NOW IN KITTY HEAVEN) HOME...I had him for a year, a wonderful, love-filled year. I will never forget him, I'm so glad I took a chance to take a handicapped kitty. :wub:
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"
"Sometimes..When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

Words I live by from "Velveteen Rabbit"
slshepherds

Post by slshepherds »

Guess who's taking Terry ....
Joanne
Carl, Tiny, Freckles (paralyzed Lab, mix and Red Heeler)
Sam I Am (Lymphoma, Lab)
Eli, Aoibhe, Tesla (limb deformities, GSDs and Lab mix)
Mochridhe (storage disease, GSD)

http://www.straightlegshepherds.org
http://www.paralyzeddogs.org
Christine

Post by Christine »

Joanne!!!!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
?/1999 - 10/25/08
slshepherds

Post by slshepherds »

I e-mailed Lori last night and she got back up with me this afternoon asking if I would adopt him. I've e-mailed her back saying yes and that I can get to Charlotte on Tuesday morning, but have not heard back yet, so I guess nothing is definite yet. Apparently his pull fee has already been paid and folks have been fundraising. I'll let you know when I have something definite ...

Joanne
Joanne
Sam I Am (Lymphoma, Lab)

Christine

Post by Christine »

I wish I could give you a big ole hug right now!! He so deserves a home like you will give him!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Good, I hope it works out!
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It says Noah's Ark is taking him in the other thread?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15617
PomRescue

Post by PomRescue »

JoAnne are you the NC Vet tec adopting Terry tomorrow? I am so excited for you!!
slshepherds

Post by slshepherds »

Yup, I picked up Terry this morning. We started diagnostics at NC State vet school this afternoon and Terry has a few problems. He has a slight fever, enlarged lymph nodes,regenerative anemia, heartworms, elevations in his liver enzymes and crystals in his urine. We took chest radiographs and they are normal, a huge relief.

The worst news however is in regards to Terry's feet. Firstly, Terry is not completely paralyzed, he can still wag his tail and tries to push himself into a standing position, making him paraparetic not paraplegic. He has ulcers on both his back feet from where he has dragged them. I initially saw the one on his right foot and thought it was bad but not too bad ... then I got a close look at the left rear. What I thought was tendon turns out to be bone, it looks like the tendons are gone, worn away by the dragging :cry:

So ... the surgeons have bandaged Terry's feet and will reevaluate them tomorrow. Tomorrow the cardiologists and neurologists are also going to consult and make recommendations. Terry is in better shape than I thought he would be but there is still a long way to go. According to Lori at the shelter people have been pledging funds to help with his medical bills. I hope the pledges become a reality as he's going to be another very expensive pup.

Terry has quickly made himself at home (see photo below). he has already claimed Carl's bed in the living room and Moss's ex-pen in the kitchen - neither is very happy about it but have let Terry do what he wants. I've seen this behavior before, my dogs are very good at sensing when I bring home a sick dog.

Joanne
Sam I Am (Lymphoma, Lab)

Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

He sure is cute, and I hope his feet can be saved, especially when it seems like he might walk again if they are. What about the age estimate? How big is he? (How much does he weigh?)
Bobbie Mayer