Beautiful Husky Mix w/brittle bone disease in shelterRESCUED

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in urgent need of being rescued or adopted--within 7 days.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
Christine

Saved! Beautiful Husky Mix w/brittle bone disease in shelterRESCUED

Post by Christine »

I have never heard of an animal having this disease. What a magnificent animal. You can tell he was well cared for, so it is hard to imagine that his family just decided to leave him and his brother behind when they moved.

INDEPENDENCE, MISSOURI

SHADOW
Dog
Male
Alaskan Malamute/Alaskan Husky
5 years
Intake Date: 3/29/11
Adoption Fee: $55

My name is Shadow, my owners moved and Petey and I had to come to the shelter to live. I will need special attention as I have brittle bone diesease. I would love to live with someone without children.

If you can save any, please contact shelter at awells@indepmo.org and jpolston@indepmo.org and call them at 816-325-7207 or 816-325-7211. You can also email kimtou@yahoo.com and kimtou44@gmail.com if you are not local and assistance is needed to get any of them out.
Attachments
shadow.bmp
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Re: Beautiful Husky Mix w/brittle bone disease in shelter

Post by Christine »

Trying to get more information about this diagnosis and this dog, in particular. Just received this encouraging news about his condition in an email comment from someone who is working with the dog: This boy is pining for his family . Lets find him a new one!

"I am told he gets around great. the owners wrote down he has brittle bone disease but I am going to see if we know the vet he went to. He may not really have much of anything wrong. I did learn when he is out in the playyard, he sits and stares at the parking lot and anytime a car pulls in, he gets up and waits in anticipation, like it is his family coming back for him. How sad.... :( "
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Re: Beautiful Husky Mix Mis-diagosed w/Brittle Bone

Post by Christine »

This is a bad news...good news...bad news type of update because it looks as though Shadow may have been mis-diagnosed. I know this diagnosis has scared away a lot of potential adopters and now his position in the shelter is even more urgent as he is on the euth list. I hope you all will bear with me and allow me to leave him in our forum in this case.

Here is the last update I received with some new pictures and a video. Please crosspost him like crazy. What a beautiful dog who is just pining for his owners. These pictures are just a few days old, as is the video. Doesn't it seem that if he had brittle bone disease, he would would have some deformities and have trouble walking??

http://www.petango.com/webservices/adop ... Sd8INqxXHg
(I can't seem to imbed this video, but the link will take you right to it.)

My name is Shadow, my owners moved and my dog brother Petey and I had to come to the shelter to live. Petey got adopted a few weeks ago but I have not been so lucky. I am still here, lying on the concrete and getting sadder with each day. I miss being in a home and with my family. When I am out in the play yard, I often sit by the fence and stare at the parking lot. Whenever a car comes, I stand up and with anticipation...I think it is my family coming back for me, but it isn't.

I lost them, I lost my brother dog Petey...please don't let me lose my spirit and my life. I am said to have brittle bone disease becaue a vet tech "diagnosed" that when she clipped my nails because they splintered. ??? No one has seen a single sign of any health issue with me that might be related in any way...I think there is nothing wrong! I move about just fine so ignore that silly "diagnosis!"

I really want to get out of the shelter environment. I am a happy, nice boy and like people! I seem to be okay with other dogs. I am neutered and housetrained. I would do best without kids, according to my previous owners. Won't you help me?
Attachments
shadow.jpg
shadow2.jpg
?/1999 - 10/25/08
cricketsmom

Post by cricketsmom »

What a beautiful dog. And how terrible he has been labeled with a disease he doesn't have. Vet techs are not allowed to diagnose by law. This should have never been recognized... Also, I've trimmed a lot of nails, and I've never heard of a splintering nail meaning anything serious. I am putting some of my friends in that area on alert for him...
vet tech and pet mom
Christine

Post by Christine »

Thanks so much, Debbie. This just added insult to injury and cost him valuable consideration time. He is such a beautiful dog who so needs a family again.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

He was picked up yesterday by Springer Spaniel Rescue!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
cricketsmom

Re: Beautiful Husky Mix w/brittle bone disease in shelterRES

Post by cricketsmom »

Yay!!!! :ecstatic:
vet tech and pet mom