Paralyzed kitten in Tavares, FL urgent***

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in urgent need of being rescued or adopted--within 7 days.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
CarolC

Re: Paralyzed kitten in Tavares, FL urgent***

Post by CarolC »

I think it might help you to ask them for a video. Not a direct answer, but I think it would help.
Christine

Post by Christine »

What's going on with Butterbean? Wondering if maybe the vet who offered to do the surgery is actually going to do it now that it is a week later.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

Butterbean is on his way here, currently in SC with a rescue lady i know there.
Am meeting her tomorrow at 3pm donw in SC and bringing him back here.

just in from Phila about an hour ago.
wow thsi place is a mess. must go clean.
will update all when i can.

we have a chippin page for Butterbean for his surgery which we will get done at some point. he needed to be where he coudl receive good care, and that is here.
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Christine

Post by Christine »

So glad he will be with you and your army of Nurse Fuzzy Wuzzies - can't wait to see pictures of him all cleaned up and happy.

http://butterbean.chipin.com/butterbean-kitten

[chipin]f7e6e45c292fc2cb[/chipin]
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

HE IS HERE!!!!!
he is making "i'm so sexy" mrrrs at everyone.
no one seems impressed.

when the dog washed his head, he sat up waaaaaay tall and purred.
I let him great the other cats, he tried to play with (and hump) them, and is fascinated by everything going on.

a friend and i have decided a little bitty planter dolly would be ideal for him, much easier to turn than a cart. wouldn't be hard to make either. amusingly, he uses his front paws to push his in-the-way leg out of the way.

pictures soon. i need to put in af ew hours of work!

Christine

Post by Christine »

Awwww.....welcome home little ButterBean!!
:grouph: :clap:
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:wow: Good for little Butterbean!
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

His case of the sniffles was al ittle worse this morning, probably from the ride & new place etc. i have him on Clavamox. My vet clinic is open Friday I am going to call them in the morning and see if we can get him tested.
His hind legs have joints only at the hip.<br />His tail has a joint at the base and then the first half is fused.  the rest is sort of limp.  it is tucked under him in this pict.
His hind legs have joints only at the hip.
His tail has a joint at the base and then the first half is fused. the rest is sort of limp. it is tucked under him in this pict.
His legs and hind end have some irritation from scooting along the floor.  most of the scald is healed up.  I put this onsie on him, that once belonged to another very special kitty, to protect his hind end.  it came off his shoulders eventually but stayed around him hindend which was the point.
His legs and hind end have some irritation from scooting along the floor. most of the scald is healed up. I put this onsie on him, that once belonged to another very special kitty, to protect his hind end. it came off his shoulders eventually but stayed around him hindend which was the point.

CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Aww, he's a winner, that look on his face just wins you over. I think Mimosa had a collar to keep it on(?) but it's cute to see him in it. :wub: I am really impressed his skin is healed up so well, someone did a really good job. You know, with the one leg folded so it's kind of "not there" and the other one angled out, he is a little like my Dolly. She is missing one hind leg and the other one does not bend at the knee joint (we tried PT but no real progress), only at the hip and ankle. She carries it forward when she walks, sometimes it will be to the outside of her front feet and mostly she will have it centered between her front feet, but it does not cause a problem. She knows not to let it get hung up on anything (furniture, etc) as she navigates. She actually uses the unbendable leg for scratching the back of her neck, which she could not do otherwise, and for kind of balancing or bouncing when she decides to run flat out (not that often). From a practical perspective, having it bent at the hip all the time is good for keeping her diaper on, too. They were talking about amputating her remaining hind leg before I adopted her, and I told the foster I would rather not, and in our case I am glad the way it turned out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ09GdVuuKE
Jean

Post by Jean »

Bendy,
I'm so glad the little fellow is home. When you said he was still at the shelter it kinda scared me. I'm glad he is with his new very knowledgeable Mommy.
Orange kitties have so much personality. You are going to really enjoy him !!!!!!
Jaime my cat with posterior paresis who was HBC and Caramel Apple who had her back broken after she was attacked by Pit Bulls sit like Butterbean but both of their legs are extended. I think Lee called it "Neuro sitting" when she saw a picture of Jaime.
Francie the kitten I recently adopted with radial nerve damage, was supposed to have her leg amputated by the vet at the clinic where she ended up after being pulled from the shelter. But, she has adapted and uses it to swipe at toys now. They often adapt without surgery but I'm sure your Vet and you will make the right decision.
Congratulations Bendy on your very lucky and adorable new family member !!!!!!!! /Jean
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

I put a diaper on him and it seems to be staying on and he doesn't mind it much. good. i dont' have any picts yet of his sores, they aren't too bad anymore. some are from rubbing. i put Aquaphor on them (which is used to helping skin grafts heal, amongst other things..good stuff). i used it to heal my tatoo and itw as veyr soothing. he didn't mind at all and the diaper keeps him from licking it off.

the bent leg actually has motion at the hock, but he has no active control over it. the other leg just sticks out and waves around, again no active control. his tail is bent to the side, so i'll need to keep an eye out on the folded skin. so far its fine.

he doesn't like canned food, but he drinks quite a bit on his own so that's ok. his urine looks fine. nice and healthy looking/smelling and its scary i can say that and smile.

Christine

Post by Christine »

its scary i can say that and smile.
Only here...only here... :angel:
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

Butterbean had a veryvery busy day!

first we went to the vet, i was very scared and shook and shook. They said I tested negative/negative which made everyone very happy. I got some Advantage multi and a rabies shot.
The vet looked me over and said seh thinks the leg that is bent can stay and so can my tail, they look a little funny but are not in the way or causing a problem. the leg that sticks out will ahve to go, she thinks at the hp would be best. i only have a flicker of movement in taht leg and the chances of bumping a stump and hurting it would be high. and she suggested waiting until iwas six months old. Everyone there said how sweet I am, they are clearly very smart people.

mom says i'll get my first 'regular' vaccine on monday.

Then we were off to mom's friend's house for movies and dinner and snuggling. there was anotehr friend there too. i got to zoom around on the floor some with my diaper on so i didn't rub my little butt sore. wow can I zoom! I looked out the door and saw something bigger than me looking back, mom said it is called a 'chicken' but it didn't look like food. it was scary! i ran ran ran far away, you should have seen me go.
i got some yummi treats and regular food and played a lot and slept a lot. Now we are all back home. It was definitley a good day.

Butterbean

Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

carolc, that is a very cute video. Butterbean's leg sticks out to the side and gets stuck on things, so it is definitley in the way. otherwise they look very similar. the onesie was Legume's and yes he did have a collar to keep it on too. hopefully his one leg adn tail will be enough to keep the diaper on. we'll think of something if it isn't. :)

have to get some video of the little guy.

headbonks

bendy

Christine

Post by Christine »

Bendy...I like your vet! And I am loving reading about how this little one's life is turning around. Carol, that video of Dolly is just adorable - she is a joy to watch - what a personality!
?/1999 - 10/25/08