Paralyzed kitten in Tavares, FL urgent***

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in urgent need of being rescued or adopted--within 7 days.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
Precious'mom

Saved! Paralyzed kitten in Tavares, FL urgent***

Post by Precious'mom »

Hi,

There is a 5 month old ginger colored kitten at Lake County animal services in Tavares, FL, which is about 40 miles northwest of Orlando, FL. The kitten is paralyzed in its back legs but can move around and wears diapers. It was rescued by guy who's been taking care of the kitten since before its eyes were opened, but he is now in jail and unable to care for the kitten. It has an extremely sweet temperment, and seems to be in good health overall. The shelter is located at 28123 CR 561 in Tavares, FL. This kitten only has 24 hours unless it is spoken for by a rescue, in which case they will hold it for a time if someone commits to take the kitten. The contact is animal control officer Denise Williams at (352)636-3740. Transport can be arranged for the kitten, so even if you can't come get the kitten, but want it, the kitten can be gotten to you through rescue networks. Please contact Denise Williams immediately if you are interested in the kitten, as it only has 24 hours unless spoken for by a rescuer.

Thanks,

Jennifer Stam
owner of a paralyzed rescue miniature schnauzer

Paralyzed Pets are the Best!
PooMoggie

Re: Paralyzed kitten in Tavares, FL urgent***

Post by PooMoggie »

Jennifer,

I AM TOTALLY APPALLED BY YOUR CALLING THIS SENTIENT BEING "it". It is by objectifying him and others like him (or her) that such atrocities as killing them are somehow "justified" and allowed. After all, if someone is an object, you aren't really taking his or her life; ojects are not alive to begin with. This kitten is no more an "it" than you are.

I can take this kitten if transportation can be worked out to NY State or NJ/PA area. Thank you. I will call Denise. Sid
Christine

Post by Christine »

Sid,

The fact that Jennifer took the time to post here and is the owner of a handicapped pet, herself says volumes about her intentions and how she feels about animals. She may not know the sex of the kitten, or like the rest of us, is trying to help on the fly and on the way to taking care of a million other things, could not take the time to find out. I hope this precious little thing is rescued. Please keep us posted.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

FORGOT TO ASK IF THERE IS A PICTURE OF THIS LITTLE ONE.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Precious'mom

Post by Precious'mom »

PooMaggie,

Christine is correct that I do not know the sex of the kitten, and that is why I referred to it as an "it". In my haste to attempt to find rescue, I did not find out if the kitten was a he or a she. I didn't want to mislead anyone to thinking that it was a he or she when in fact I did not know. The kitten has only 24 hours I was more concerned with saving it's life than being politically correct. Maybe you aren't used to working with kill shelters, but when they give you a deadline, they mean it. Which is more than usual, because the usual protocal for that shelter is to put paralyzed animals to sleep, as they have not had success in finding rescue for them. I was only called because a friend that works at the shelter knows I love paralyzed pets, and thought I might know someone. You can make whatever judgements of me you want, I know I'm a good person. I've rescued countless animals including many handicapped ones and will continue to assist in rescuing animals. Regardless of your judgement of me, I do hope you can help the kitten, that is why I took the time to post here.

Thank you,

Jennifer Stam

And Christine, I'm sorry there is no picture, the kitten just came in today, and I was not able to go the shelter to get a picture of it. But perhaps if it gets a hold, I can get there tomorrow.
Precious'mom

Post by Precious'mom »

Hi,

Quick update about the kitty. The kitten is believed to be a male, but not 100 % certain as Denise, the contact wasn't able to get a good look at the kitty before leaving the shelter. Denise has come through though and bought the kitten at least a week. The direction of his legs prevent him from moving around really at all, so a vet recommended amputating them to allow him freedom of movement and enable him to be able to fit into a wheelchair if one is gotten for him. A vet has graciously donated their services to do the surgery and will hold him at her facility for a week after the surgery. So he is safe until next Wednesday. Denise also sent pics of the kitty, which I will attempt to post here! He is just beautiful! And Denise says a real lover. So, again if you are able to help, please contact Denise Williams at (352)636-3740.
gingerkitty.jpg
gingerkitty2.jpg
Hope that worked!

Jennifer Stam
Christine

Post by Christine »

Oh, bless it's little heart!! Look at that face....so glad you all were able to buy some time and vetting to boot. Wonder if the kitten has been expressed prior to being brought to the shelter and how things are going in that department now.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Precious'mom

Post by Precious'mom »

Hi,

That's exactly what I was wondering. So I'm going to the shelter today to see if they'll let me try to express him. I'm also bringing him some A & D for his little rash on his bum. Denise said he sort of leaks all of the time, so the shelter thinks he can go on his own. But my experience tells me he's leaking because he's full and needs to be expressed. So we'll see if they'll let me express him today.
I'll keep the board updated.

Jennifer Stam
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

has there been any interest in this kitten for a permanent home?
as many people here know, expressing cats is about second nature here. our two legger TwoBit recently passed away, believe me your lil butterbean can learn to walk on his front legs no problem. :)

when you say transport is available, what sort of distance are you talking about? i'm not close but if the lil tyke has no where else to go and you can get him here, we certainly have the know-how and he would be welcome.

you can check our my website for our "resume" although we do need to update it as TwoBit passed away in August.

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Christine

Post by Christine »

Jennifer, if you have spent any time at all on our board, and I know you have, you know that a home with Bendy's mom would be heaven for this baby. She has performed many a miracle. How can we get him/her to North Carolina?
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

http://www.pilotsandpaws.com
http://www.roadsofhope.org
http://www.charlietotherescue.com

also, if and when the time comes, we can do an email asking for transport
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Jennifer,

I sent you an email, but on the chance that it ended up in your spam file, thought I would ask here too:

I am just butting in here to see what the status of the kitten is and will call Denise Williams at (352)636-3740 if you want me to. (I did leave a message for Denise this evening, but have not heard back) Sasha Furr, Bendy's mom truly does want to take this kitten, but transport would need to be worked out. Between caring for her pets and her father, she cannot travel too far from home.

Has the surgery been performed yet? If so, they probably won't let him travel quite yet. I know you were checking to see about the expressing situation...I was wondering about that too and hoping he is not in danger of getting a UTI because he has been in the shelter.

As I said, earlier, I can't think of a better mom for this precious baby. She has performed miracles on cats that others, including vets, have given up on and she has taught some vets a few things.

Would you mind updating me with any news you might have? There are a group of us who will put our heads together to help make this happen.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Precious'mom

Post by Precious'mom »

Hello,

Sorry for the lax in update. I've had a medical situation with one of my former foster dogs that has consumed me. The kitten is now with the vet waiting for surgery. The vet just got him tonight so I'm guessing surgery will be tomorrow, and he'll be there a week. I visited him at the shelter, but they would not let me try to express him. They said that he could pee on his own, so I wasn't allowed to try. But his little rear end looked awful. Someone just let him go to pot. I felt so bad, so I did put some A & D on him to try and protect him. He is just so raw, and has poo caked onto his tail and legs. Denise tried to get it off, but it was rubbing his skin so raw, she couldn't. The vet should be able to clean him up well while he's under aneasthesia. Denise had him at her house tonight and we both tried to express him, but neither of us could get much out. His belly is just swollen, I'm not sure if it's infection, irritation, what, but i just couldn't feel his little bladder. Plus I've never expressed a cat before unfortunately, so I'm not very familiar with the location of the bladder as compared with a dog. But the vet should be able to sort that out. At least now he's being treated. Like I said he will be there a week, so we have a week to figure his situation out.

He has had someone willing to take him; however, they are all the way in New York, and transport that far north is next to impossible. So if Bendy Kitty's mom is willing to take him, and is closer, that would be great. I have seen you on the board, and it's obvious you have the experience and compassion to care for him. I don't think getting him to North Carolina would be difficult at all. I know Denise has arranged transports there before. The only thing is you'd have to be affiliated with some sort of rescue group to get him. The shelter has a policy where certain animals are not available for adoption to the general public, animals with mange, skin disorders, elderly and sick, handicapped animals, animals with behavioral problems, and these animals are not able to be adopted by the general public. I don't understand this, because why would a person want an animal like that if they weren't going to take care of it, but whatever! So as long as you can get a rescue group to vouch for you, it's not a problem. If you can't, please still contact Denise to see if we can work it out, because I do know you'd make an excellent home for him, and i want to see him properly cared for and loved. He's too sweet of a cat not to get a chance! And you will love, love, love him! He is a total purr-monster! He'd just love to sit in your lap for hours! And he likes other animals too, he's just a happy, happy guy.

So, Bendy Kitty's mom, please call Denise at (352)636-3740 to see about the little guy, and don't be worried if you don't hear back from her right away ( she gets constant calls from rescue and about 1000 emails a day, so sometimes it takes awhile to get through them). I will mention to her tomorrow that someone from North Carolina offered a home for our guy as well. And if I forget to update the board, and you're worried, you can call me, Jennifer, at (352)589-9725 for an update. I talk to Denise pretty much every day, so she's keeping me posted as well.

Also, to whoever adopts little guy, Denise is taking a collection up for his future wheelchair, as she gets donations on animals from her shelter from contacts, so we can help you out with the wheelchair as well!

Thanks for the concern and all the help, without everybody this little guy would never have had a chance, so it's really cool and amazing to see this all work out. I adore my handicapable animals, my baby girl is a certified therapy dog, 4 years working, and we educate kids about disabilities every week. So handicapable animals have a lot more to give than most people give them credit for! Plus, all of you know who've owned one, but they give you a lot more than you could ever give them. Most people can't understand that, but it's the truth! Whoever gets this baby, is lucky, he really is special.

Thanks,

Jennifer Stam
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

I am affiliated with Marleys Cat Tales, so that isn't a problem.

please find whoever is responsible for letting that baby get so dirty and immerse them up their waist in raw sewage for several hours, then don't let them bathe.

he probably is swollen from urine scald and may have developed a urinary tract infection from being so dirty. poor little guy. I'm glad the vet has him. I'm assuming Denise woudl not appreciate a call at 1am, so I'll wait til tomorrow afternoon to call.

yes, i am in NC, between Greensboro and Durham. thanks very much for the update.

Sasha
aka The Bendy Mom
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Christine

Post by Christine »

Such a relief that he is at the vet and will receive the care he needs. Bless you, Jennifer for saving him..just wait till you see how he blossoms at Bendy's house. Hope everything is okaye with your former foster dog. Please let Denise know she does not have to return my call unless there is anything I can do to help now that she and Bendy will be communicating

And by the way...so glad you are here! :grouph:
?/1999 - 10/25/08