Somerset, KY: Injured doxie in shelter needs medical help

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in urgent need of being rescued or adopted--within 7 days.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
Christine

Somerset, KY: Injured doxie in shelter needs medical help

Post by Christine »

If anyone here belongs to Dodger's List, could you please crosspost this little one?

The Pulaski Animal Shelter reached out for help. Trying to get more details on how long he may have been down, if he is continent, etc. Praying he is not in pain.. We need to get him out of there and to a vet.

staff@pcanimalshelter.com IS THE CONTACT IF YOU CAN HELP...PLEASE CROSSPOST FAR AND WIDE

Pulaski is a challenged area with few resources and it sounds like this baby desperately needs assistance. Praying for a Christmas Angel with a willingness to step up and help.
Attachments
doxie2.jpg
doxie1.jpg
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Re: Somerset, KY: Injured doxie in shelter needs medical hel

Post by Christine »

I got through to the Pulaski Animal Shelter and spoke with a lovely young lady. She said that the baby was taken to the vet and a ChipInhas been set up for him on Facebook. She did not have the link, but gave me a phone number for Ellie, who set it up. I called and left her a message so when she gives me more information, I will update further.

Good news is that he got out of his bed to pee and poop. Hopefully, he is fully continent and completely emptying his bladder. We should know more after the vet visit. I asked about the further status: Would he be brought back to the shelter and then what. The girl then gave me Ellie's number because she is not sure what else is happening at this point.

The woman who brought him in did not claim him as her dog...of course. It is believed that this is an older injury.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Just got more information:
I took this little girl to the vet, Somerset Animal Hospital, 606 679-1266, this morning. She has a spine problem, could be injury or could be something that just happened for no apparent reason. She is paralyzed from the ribcage back. Her backbone protrudes because of muscle atrophy (wasting). She has been in this condition for quite some time.

She has sores on her back feet and tail from where she drags her back end around. She can still poop and pee on her own, but her pee was bloody. She needs to see a vet neurologist to determine the extent of her problem and any prognosis. She weighs around 10 pounds.

This dog was dropped off at our local Animal Shelter by a woman who said she was not the owner and refused to give any information.

Can any rescues out there take this little girl and get her the medical attention she needs?

Thank,
Melody
Pulaski County Humane Society
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

More news and a Chip In:

[chipin]51159468a8a51d7b[/chipin]
Hello everyone, this girl is still in need of rescue. They have had some problems getting a chip in going since it had to be set up in the shelter's name and use the the shelter's Paypal account. Hopefully we will have the link by tomorrow. We can make a donation to the Pulaski Humane Society She is temporarily being held in the home of a volunteer but a plan is underway for her to go to a sanctuary in OH. I really wish something else could happen for her since she may spend the rest of her life there. Some test results came back and she also has pyometra and needs to be spayed asap. The volunteer who has her has a donation that has come in and it going to try and get the spay done with those funds. Her spine has a place where the bone pokes out and the vet said that due to the amount of muscle loss, she is not a good candidate for back surgery to repair the disk damage. The person she is staying with said she is just a doll and loves to be snuggled and watches her movements and is already getting into a routine at her house. I really wish we could find a rescue or home for her. Please, let's continue to work to find a good place for her...
?/1999 - 10/25/08