Antioch, TN: Brokenhearted owner pleading for injured doxie

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in urgent need of being rescued or adopted--within 7 days.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
Christine

Saved! Antioch, TN: Brokenhearted owner pleading for injured doxie

Post by Christine »

When I came to post this story, it broke my heart to see that one of our own family members is experiencing the same kind of heartbreak - no one is immune...please crosspost far and wide..

Folks, sadly we all know of someone who has to make a heartwrenching decision about their beloved pet during these times. Debbie is faced with this very difficult situation.. She used her mortgage payment to take Peanut to the vet; now she knows that Peanut needs help while she is travels for her work and she has hit a wall. To save Peanut, we need a foster or permanent home or perhaps extended boarding while he heals We ask that you share this story with anyone you think can help and pray that we do not find ourselves in a similar situation.

Here is Peanut's story in Debbie's own words:
"I need to find a home for him so bad. I can't handle the decision to put him down. Peanut is the sweetest little boy you will ever meet. I have 4 grandkids under the age of 4 and he loves them to death!!! He even smiles when they come over! I have another dog, Slinky and him and Peanut get along fabulously. It seems like Slinky has gone into a mild depression also since Peanut has been hurt. As far as getting along with other dogs and cats................Peanut would not even know how to fight or bite. He is due an update on his shots that were planned before he had his accident. Now the vet says to wait till he improves. My little boy was never neutered because I did not feel the need since the only other dog he is around is his brother and they are nice little boys!!! lol Thanks so much.

I have a six year old named Peanut and this might be close to the hardest thing I have ever done. Peanut is a beautiful little boy. It was two weeks ago Monday that Peanut fell down my steps off the deck and hurt himself. I thought both his back legs were broken. I took him to Priest Lake Vet and they took x-rays and said there was nothing broken and he has deep pain and that was a good sign. They put him on predisone and muscle relaxers and sent him home. I returned with him 3 days later and they still seemed to think his feelings would come back to his back legs. It was two weeks ago Monday and there is still no sign of improvement. He did wag his tail the other day so I am hoping that is a sign. Surgery is not an option to me because I cannot afford it. I barely scraped together the $350 it has already cost me.

I do all the Metro Ball Park concessions in the summer time so this time of year I am basically broke. When the ballparks start in February, I am away from home 15 and 16 hours at a time sometime. I also go to Mardi Gras each year and work for two weeks to make enough money to open my ballparks. This will be the first of February. I have two dachshunds and it has always worked out fine because I have a doggie door and a fenced backyard so when I go I always have someone come and feed and water them and play with them a little while each day I am gone.

Obviously I can't do this anymore with Peanut. I thought about having to put him to sleep and I just don't know if I can do it. I am praying you will take Peanut If he does not improve by February. Of course, even if he does improve I don't know if he will be capable of using doggie door. There are no options for me because I am single and I have to work. Peanut is so sweet. It will absolutely break my heart. I will be forever grateful to you. I have no other choice."
Attachments
peanut smaller.jpg
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Re: Antioch, TN: Brokenhearted owner pleading for injured do

Post by Christine »

Just received the vet notes on Peanut. If we could even find a two week foster or reasonable boarding for that amount of time, the owner will be back home and have until March 31st to make other arrangements for Peanut.
Attachments
peanuit vet notes2.jpg
peanut vet notes.jpg
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

http://www.allamericandachshundrescue.org/

This dachshund rescue is in Spring Hill TN, 2 hrs 40 min away.

According to Dodger's List they take down dachsies.

Or maybe they'd do temp foster.

I sent her an email.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Debbi found a vet who will board and care for Peanut for the two weeks she had to leave to work for $250.00. The vet wants payment up front. Please share this Chip In and if you can spare even a $1.00, it all adds up. She had to leave in 3 days so we don't have much time. Thanks for anything you can do.

[chipin]87edf4884af6225c[/chipin]
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Antioch, TN: Still no feeling in his back legs :(

Little Peanut hasn’t regained any feelings in his back legs. Debbie wants to do whatever is necessary to make sure he has every chance of regaining his ability to walk. No matter what happens, there are so many people in his corner rooting for him and offering to help Debbie take care of him. However, more funds are needed to help pay for additional vet visits and surgery. Please help little Peanut. Every dollar will go towards his recovery. Please share this story with anyone you think can help.

PEANUT’S CHIPIN: http://peanutsboardingcosts.chipin.com/peanuts-surgery

*FROM DEBBIE: I returned from my trip Wednesday night and went and got my Peanut from the vet yesterday. Everyone at the vets had fallen in love with him!!! Peanut has not regained any of the feelings in his back legs I'm sorry to say. Dr Myers said that he still has deep pain... more some days than others. They were so good to my Peanut!!! Bonnie at the vet's office is getting me an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon that comes to their clinic once every other week to begin the next steps for Peanut.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

UPDATE: Peanut and Debbie thank you!

Thanks to all of your support, crossposting, donations and prayers, Peanut's surgery fund has grown. Everyone has been so supportive and generous, we can't ask for more, just wanted to share the latest update with you. We are close, but the surgery may be postponed unless Debbie can work a miracle tomorrow.

"Peanut and I still are patiently waiting for his surgery!! I have delayed the surgery till Monday since funds are not there yet. Everybody has been so supportive and we appreciate it so much. I am praying the vet's office is getting donations because mine seem to have slowed down. Whatever money I have Monday I am gonna beg the vet to take payments on the remaining. He will have a hard time getting me and Peanut out of that office if he doesn't do it!!!!........lol............we love each and everyone of you and keep your fingers crossed that more donations will roll in before Monday..........will keep you posted!"

While we were are scrambling to get this done, the original Chip In deadline snuck up on us. It has been renewed in the hope that more donations combined with those called in to the vet will make this happen.

Animal Medical Clinic -615-867-7575
234 River Rock Blvd.
Murfreesboro, TN 37128
PH: 615-867-7575
FAX: 615-867-7028

[chipin]a86d64efe92cd2e2[/chipin]

(The original Chip In was for boarding costs because at that time the doctors felt Peanut could regain his mobility with rest while Debbie had to go out of town for her work. As most of you are aware, little Peanut still cannot walk. This Chip In link above is for his surgery.)

To read Peanut's Full Story, click here: http://heartstotherescue.blogspot.com/2 ... ading.html
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Another happy ending...this owner went from total desperation thinking that she had to give her beloved pet up or have him put down to this. Thanks to everyone who crossposted, donated, prayed and even sent good thoughts their way. Start at the bottom and read upwards to see the sequence of the last week's events - another miracle!
Thanks!!!

Since I can't thank you in person, I am thanking the anonymous angel that donated to the Animal Medical Clinic in Peanut's name the rather large amount that will be the final icing on the cake to get Peanut walking again. Thank you from the bottoms of mine and Peanut's hearts and I truly hope you read this!!!! Thank you and I wish you would let me know who you are so I could send you an appropriate "Thank You!"..........Debbie & Peanut

March 16 11:55pm

Peanut's out of surgery!!!!

Dr. Newman just called me and Peanut is out of surgery!!! He said Peanut actually seemed stronger with more muscle in his legs this morning when he examined him then he did last time he saw him.. He said he is still very optimistic and thinks Peanut will walk again!!! He also suggested accupuncture to cut the healing time in half..........I told him yes definitely!!!!....Thanks to all mine and Peanut's angels out there.........could never have done it without you guys!!!!Peanut kisses to all of you!!

March 16 1:22pm

Peanut's surgery going to happen!!!

Everyone send a little doggie prayer up for Peanut. I take him today and leave him at vet and his surgery is first thing in the morning. I am still a little short of funds but vet has agreed to work with me. Will keep everyone posted and keep your fingers and paws crossed!!!

March 15 9:19am
?/1999 - 10/25/08