Baton Rouge, LA Sweet Blind Girl and Seeing Eye Friend - Hig

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in urgent need of being rescued or adopted--within 7 days.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
grizzleybear

Saved! Baton Rouge, LA Sweet Blind Girl and Seeing Eye Friend - Hig

Post by grizzleybear »

Hey all.

Haven't been here in a while, but I found this on a german shepherd forum this morning. Thought maybe someone on this list might be able to help. They're both very pretty gsd's and need help.

Here is the url - http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ur ... -kill.html

The text:

Got this in the mail this morning. How can people be this cruel?

Contact is: Leyna Warren leynawarren@gmail.com

Hello, my name is Leyna and I am a volunteer for Companion Animal Alliance of Baton Rouge (CAA). In case you don’t know, CAA is the open-intake animal shelter for the East Baton Rouge Parish. I wanted to let you know about 2 dogs that recently came into the shelter and see if you were possibly interested in taking them into your rescue.

Two female German Shepherds were picked up as strays a few weeks ago. It appears that one may be the daughter or sibling of the other. They were adopted together shortly after arriving at the shelter. But, not too long after being adopted they were both returned. It ends up that the smaller of the two dogs is partially blind, if not completely. This was not noticed before because not only were they at the shelter for a very short period of time, but the blind dog manages very well – depending on sound and the other dog. Volunteers have named the blind girl Jade and the other Ruby.

Now the clock is ticking for these two ladies. Jade has little chance of adoption, being blind among so many dogs that are “normal” (in the eyes of adopters). In addition to that, no one wants to split these two girls up, but are unable to adopt both of them. In truth, these girls are not 100% reliant on each other. Ruby is just fine without Jade and Jade manages surprisingly well on her own. But of course they would be happiest together. They are both spunky and extremely curious, but that won’t help them when it comes to the fact that they will be euthanized any day now.

Because Jade is a good bit smaller than Ruby, it was first assumed that Jade was Ruby’s daughter. While that still may be true, upon further inspection is appears that Jade is full grown and possibly a couple years old. They are both extremely underweight and dirty. I attached a picture of Jade. Ruby looks very similar, but is larger. Jade is very, very scared of new dogs, but with Ruby’s presence is a lot calmer.

They desperately need to get out of the shelter before their lives are ended. They both have extremely promising and love-filled futures if they can be rescued!

Could you save these two sweethearts? Please get back to me right away and let me know if you are able to help.

Thanks,
Leyna

Christine

Re: Baton Rouge, LA Sweet Blind Girl and Seeing Eye Friend -

Post by Christine »

These two sweet girls have gotten a lot of press, thanks to the forums and the National Examiner. http://www.examiner.com/german-shepherd ... om-shelter

Leyna has been overwhlemed with emails. Here is an update from Leyna:
Leyna WarrenYvonne, I'm the one who originally sent out this story to the public. You can see the email listed in the article is my email. The more emails I receive the more time it will be until these girls are out of the shelter. I have to evaluate each potential adopter and run it by the director every time I get an adoption inquiry. As of new we have several wonderful homes that are wanting to take these dogs and all that is left is for us to decide which is the best for Ruby and Jade. As I said, the more adoption inquiries I get at this point the more time it will take, but I will not just ignore a potential home for these girls.
They are still at the shelter while their new home (s) are being chosen. :wub:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
grizzleybear

Re: Baton Rouge, LA Sweet Blind Girl and Seeing Eye Friend -

Post by grizzleybear »

Good to hear. They are both so sweet. Hope they find a great home.