DC METRO - 15 y/o HyperT Cat in KILL SHELTER

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in urgent need of being rescued or adopted--within 7 days.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
RenaRF

DC METRO - 15 y/o HyperT Cat in KILL SHELTER

Post by RenaRF »

Slyde was surrendered by his "family" to a kill shelter on Thursday night. He is 15 years old, and he was surrendered because he is hyperthyroid - this despite the fact that HyperT can be managed with oral or transdermal medication for a very reasonable monthly cost ($9-$18 for oral medication monthly). Slyde is SUPER FRIENDLY - the shelter staff said he was just a total lover. He's good with kids, other cats, people and dogs, and has perfect litterbox habits. He's currently at Montgomery County Humane, which IS a kill shelter. Obviously as a senior, special needs owner surrender, his time is limited. We have only until TUESDAY 4/17 to figure something out for him.

I can put a rescue under him if a qualified Fairfax County, VA long-term foster steps forward. Alternately, I can offer a decent one-time medical sponsorship for him if anyone else is willing to take this sweet guy on - just email me for details. This cat deserves to live his life with love and proper care!!

Contact me via email, RenaRF@comcast.net, or Ronda Dalton via email, byt2luv@aol.com.

PooMoggie

Re: DC METRO - 15 y/o HyperT Cat in KILL SHELTER

Post by PooMoggie »

Hi - I am a NY rescue worker and I have written to the two email addresses provided, in case you would be OK with our taking him. I'd foster him and eventually find him a great home. There is ALWAYS a home for a superloving cat; once I started looking for one, I'd get several inquiries a day (not all from acceptable homes, but they'd want him!). It does not matter the age or the special needs, as long as, from a domestic human perspectve, the kitty has a "great personality". Please reply directly to my emails if you are interested in my helping. Thanks for telling us about him!!
PooMoggie

Post by PooMoggie »

This kitty is, if our plans go well, coming to my place on Sunday the 29th. I will find him a good, stable home from here once his condition is stable. He's come down with major URI from the kill shelter environment he was taken from, but he seems very happy. I have not met him yet but I heard his purr when I was talking on the phone to the person helping me transport him up North. His purr is blisteringly LOUD! Presently he is eating Friskies, so there won't be any of that nonsense here. It's important for all hyperthyroids, human or otherwise, to avoid gluten, casein, "natural flavor" (MSG, a neurotoxin that plays havoc with endocrinological systems), and other toxins. He's been eating junk all his life. He is estimated to be about 12, actually. His life is in no danger now, and he'll have one-on-one and a human bed/lap to sleep on now.
RenaRF

Post by RenaRF »

What an AWESOME update. I'm going to check this as "SAVED". Please keep me posted on how he's doing?? My outside email is renarf@comcast.net.

Rena
PooMoggie

Post by PooMoggie »

Sure, Rena. Thanks. He is on his way and ought to be here in an hour or so; he's in the car with my driver. Everyone who meets him says he is very sweet; the driver kept him overnight and says he slept all around the bed with her and is eating, drinking, and bathrooming well. Hopefully, the human "family" will die in a "mysterious" (heh-heh) freak boating accident. They seem never to have done anything for his health and then, when he became sick, took him to the kill shelter instead of finding out what the matter was and doing something to help. Hats off to Fancy Cats of Virginia for having him examined and blood-worked. He's got pretty advanced tooth disease, too, but the main thing now is to correct his thyroid imbalance, put some insulation on his purrbox and bones (I am told you can feel his every vertebra), and give him some LOVE, I think.