7 y/o blind min pin cross so scared in kill shelter

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in urgent need of being rescued or adopted--within 7 days.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
Christine

Saved! 7 y/o blind min pin cross so scared in kill shelter

Post by Christine »

Tom has only known blindness and this couple his entire life. They can no longer care for him and he is so, so scared in the shelter. Just imagine this little boy who has only known a loving and secure home being thrown in a cage with a hard cement floor and the echos of other scared and barking dogs surrounding him. Please help us find him a home before they have to make the horrible decision to put him down. Don't let transport stand in the way, that can be worked out - possibly even with Pilots 'n Paws according to one of my contacts.
Spruce Pine, NC.....Blind Boy Tom Whose Family Could
> > No Longer Care for Him .....In Need of Rescue

This sweet little guy
> > is Tom. Tom has lived with the same elderly couple since they found
> > him 7 years ago when he was only a few weeks old. Now the couple
> > can no longer take care of him due to their failing health so he
> > wound up at Mitchell County Animal Rescue in Spruce Pine,
> > NC.....attached are his pictures and below is information on him,
> > even his petfinder link.
> > > > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> > > > From: KM <kim@wolfsongridge.com>
> > > > Date: Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM
> > > > Subject: Blind dog in shelter
> > > >
> > > > Hello,
> > > >
> > > > I'm a volunteer with Mitchell County Animal Rescue, located in
> > Spruce Pine, NC. We have a blind dog named Tom in our shelter. Tom
> > was found by an older couple when he was only a few weeks old and
> > was blind then. They have kept him for 7 years but due to their own
> > failing health they had to surrender him as they felt they were no
> > longer able to care for his special needs. He has been checked by a
> > vet and she believes his blindness is congenital, that he may see
> > some shadows and such but that is all. He has a very unique look
> > about him and is really a good dog.
> > > >
> > > > Though this shelter does make efforts to save as many animals
> > as possible, sadly we are not a no-kill shelter. At this time we
> > are very full and as such we are seeking a rescue to help us save
> > Tom and place him in a suitable home that can care for him as he needs.
> > > >
> > > > Can you help? If not, can you refer us elsewhere?
> > > >
> > > > Thanks so much!
> > > >
> > > > Here's a link to his PetFinder listing:
> > http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23311614
> > > >
> > > > Kim Mayhew
> > > > Shelter phone is (828) 765-6952
Attachments
tom.jpg
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Re: 7 y/o blind min pin cross so scared in kill shelter

Post by Christine »

Just received another email about little Tom. We've got to get him out of there.....

Hello everyone,
Just a quick update on Tom the blind dog. I spoke with the shelter director this morning and she said that Tom is showing a lot of stress in the kennels. He's very friendly to people but he's doing a lot of pacing and apparently something really upset him as he had really messed up (poop) his kennel when staff came in for cleaning on Saturday. We did have some storms in the area Friday evening so I wonder if that could have been the problem.

He has no tail beyond just a short nub, so if there is a Basenji line it didn't make it all the way back to the backend. The min pin breed was what the owners insisted that he is but shelter staff doesn't see any of that in him.

Shelter is Mitchell County Animal Rescue located in Spruce Pine, NC. Their phone is 828-765-6952.

Thank you for your continued efforts to get this dog out of the shelter and eventually into a forever home. I will help facilitate his rescue in whatever way I can.

Kim Mayhew
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Tom is still at the shelter...we thought someone was going to step up for him....here is the latest. Please keep crossposting.

I spoke with Patricia at the shelter today to check and make sure what I was told about Tom being rescued was true. Well, poor little Tom is still at the shelter..... no rescue is coming for him. He is still waiting. When I spoke with Kim a couple of weeks ago there were some people interested in Tom and also a NY rescue that was supposed to speak with the shelter about him. Apparently nothing has worked out and this sweet little guy is till very much in need.

He is great with other dogs and a real sweetheart. They all love him at the shelter. Patricia also told me that if anyone would like to foster or adopt Tom and they live north of North Carolina the shelter mgr is traveling up to New Hope, PA the weekend of the 29th which I believe is next weekend and they can give Tom a ride up north. Please circulate Tom's information. He is an adorable little min pin who is in DESPERATE NEED! Â His human mom and dad did not want to give him up but they are elderly and handicapped and could not take care of him anymore let alone take care of themselves. There's got to be someone out there whose life would be brightened and blessed by this little guy. I know his life would be also if he were to find that special someone.

Just spoke with Kim who sent Tom's information to us. He is still at the shelter and in need. She is worried about his mental/emotional well being staying in the shelter too long. Kim has asked that if anyone has specific questions they can contact the shelter during their regular business hours, Mon-Fri 10 am-4:30pm (closed for lunch 12:30-1 pm) at 828-765-6952.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

The very best news we could ever hope for!! Just got this email from Kim.
Tom was transported to Blind Dog Rescue in NC Monday, then on to his permanent adoptive home the next day I think. He went to live with a lady who has other dogs with disabilities and who is dedicated to helping such dogs in honor of her now deceased husband who was a great animal lover. From the picture I saw, it looked like love at first sight!
?/1999 - 10/25/08