Kitten Transport AL to MS

For the transportation arrangements for rescues and adoptions. Please post here if you need a transport or if you are available to transport.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
cbsmemds

Kitten Transport AL to MS

Post by cbsmemds »

I have spent the last few hours trying to find a rescue transport forum and I could only find the one on this site. As you all know I successfully fostered a mama and four kittens, finding homes for all of the kittens and I had to keep the mama. Well, this morning the family that adopted one of the kittens emailed me and said they no longer wanted the kitten they adopted. They provided many different reasons, all of which really boil down to that the kitten doesn't fit the perfect family mold they have become accustomed too. Anyway, I am looking for help in getting this kitten back down to me. He is in Huntsville, AL and needs to get back to me here in Picayune, MS. Can anyone provide a starting point for me to find a transport for him?

Thanks

Marcia
critters
Founding Member

Re: Kitten Transport AL to MS

Post by critters »

Well, if I were you, I'd join http://petoftheday.com/talk/ ; maybe somebody there would be interested, or maybe she could catch a ride. I'll also send your link to people that know a lot about transports.
mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

Marcia:

I always hate to read things like this because the family who no longer wants the baby, wants you to come get s/he NOW!

As a starting point - go to yahoo groups. If you are not a member, you will have to join, but it is free. Just need a user name and password.

Then look up transports - there are literally hundreds of them. Some of them are very specific as to the routes they service - eastern seaboard, east-west routes, etc.

There is also 911pet rescue transport: http://911petrescue.com/ipb//index.php? It is a forum much like this one that you can read as a guest, but to post you must register (free). There is also a truckers rescue but I don't have the addy for that - someone else might or they could be a yahoo group. Truckers go all over the USA and often will take a fur-passenger.

You can also do a fairly detailed email and send it to all the rescue contacts you have with permission to cross post. Be sure that you have the location AL to MS / URGENT transport needed / kitten in the subject line. In the body of the email make sure contact information is right where everyone will see it and fix email addys so that if some have the type of server that cuts off the end of the email addy they will still be able to email you. [example: soandso @ yahoo.com (no spaces)]

Hope this helps. Good luck! /mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
cbsmemds

Post by cbsmemds »

Mari,

Thanks for the information, at least it is a starting point. I wish humans would make a commitment to animals and honor that commitment for a lifetime.
TenHouseCats

Post by TenHouseCats »

this page gives everyone a great primer on how to set up a transport from start to finish; if you scroll down to the area about Contacting Transport Groups, you'll see an embedded, "Click Here" link that has an up-to-date list of yahoo groups that will transport cats (not all will.)

http://purebredcatbreedrescue.org/transport.htm

each group has its own rules and its own format for posting requests; pay special attention to what they want included in their subject line. transport folks are often reading 20 or 30 lists per day, and if the state info, the day request is for, etc, is not evident, they just will skip right over the post for those they know they might be able to help with.

catster.com also has some transport posting system set up now; i've never used it, so can't say how well it conforms to the main lists.

some places have had good luck posting on craighs list, but if you do that, it's even MORE important that you check references.

if the cat's in danger of being turned into a kill shelter, contact all the rescue groups you can find via petfinder.com, and see if someone can hold the kitty while transport is being arranged.

how far is hunstbille from where she needs to go; i have a friend in huntsville.... (mumpkees says, "of COURSE you do..... " and it's another FeLVTalk furriend, too!)

additionally every state has a (StateName)AnimalRescueList: sometimes the state will be spelled out, sometimes just the postal initials will be used.

MC
Speuter Your Neighbors: Make a Real Difference!

MaryChristine
Special-Needs Coordinator, Purebred Cat Breed Rescue among others
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: 10HouseCats!!