Small paraplegic female terrier mix needs a forever home!

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
emileemorrisonn

Small paraplegic female terrier mix needs a forever home!

Post by emileemorrisonn »

I work at a vet clinic, and last week a lady came in with a dog she had hit with her car. It wasn't her dog, and she didn’t want to pay for anything besides euthanasia. The euthanasia drugs were pulled up and they were about to administer them when I stepped in and decided I had to at least try and nurse her back to health.

We couldn't find the owner of this pup (now called Doodle), but I have a feeling she was dumped a long time ago. I pulled at LEAST 150 fleas and ticks off of her, she was severely underweight and dehydrated, and her long hair was super matted.

She has tested positive for anaplasmosis and ehrlichiosis (both are tick diseases treatable with antibiotics). We've started her on antibiotics, pain medication, steroids, flea/tick/heartworm control, rehabilitation exercises, and snuggles.

Due to the nature of her injury, she cannot move her back legs yet.
I've had her for about two weeks now, and I've already seen so much improvement! The first day she was lethargic and couldn’t even wag her tail, but she's now wagging her tail constantly, sitting up, dragging herself around our house, and showing some feeling in her back legs (she actually moved them on her own after hydrotherapy the other day - video available). We are currently working on teaching her to use a wheelchair.

Doodle is around 2-3 years old and is super sweet. She looks like a terrier mix. She looks a little weird right now because I had to shave her to get rid of all the ticks, but her hair will be long and fluffy once it grows out.

I plan on fostering and nursing her back to health for as long as it takes me to find her a good home. However, I cannot keep her permanently because my black lab is aggressive toward small dogs, and I’m moving across the country in a few months to go to vet school and cannot take two dogs with me.

Please help me find sweet Doodle her forever home! She will be fully vetted and socialized around people and other animals by the time she's ready for adoption.

I have pictures and videos available, but could not upload them to this post because they were too large.

Thank you!
Emily
critters
Founding Member

Re: Small paraplegic female terrier mix needs a forever home!

Post by critters »

:whale: Where is she? :thankyou: for taking her! And congrats on vet school. :smart:

CarolC is the photo queen, so she'll probably have suggestions for your problem. :D
CarolC

Re: Small paraplegic female terrier mix needs a forever home!

Post by CarolC »

Here is a link to make the photos smaller.

https://www.online-image-editor.com/

The way people usually do videos is to upload them to a site like youtube and then post the link.

If you still can't get the photos uploaded, please post again (I'll be glad resize them for you).

:banner: