Cati: Paralysed female doxie in Spain

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
Debbie-Spain

Cati: Paralysed female doxie in Spain

Post by Debbie-Spain »

We have a young female doxie here in Spain and are unable to find a home for her, her case is becoming urgent so I am posting in here in case any European or possibly even US families might be interested in adopting her.

Cati was originally owned by a hunter. We do not know the exact cause of her disk damage but by the time we took her she had been dragging herself around for months and he had decided to have her put to sleep. She is young, not more than 2 years old, and very lively and friendly with people.

She is being fostered by my friend Lys but Cati and one of Lys's dogs, a 3-legged female Rotty, do not see eye-to-eye and are both terribly stressed. Lia, the Rotty, is chewing her only rear leg because of the stress. Cati seems to be okay with smaller dogs and most other larger dogs. She cannot live with cats as she chases them and can do herself harm trying to reach them. At present Lys is having to tether both dogs inside the house to stop them doing harm to each other (crates are not used in Spain). She has to look after an ill, elderly family member and is unable to do so because she cannot take both dogs with her.

Cati is very lively and affectionate with people. If it were up to her she would be running around all day long. She is always playing with her ball. The wheelchair in the photo is not hers, it belongs to one of Lys's other dogs. Cati has her own wheelchair (same but smaller) but much prefers using this one, which she borrowed initially, even though it is too large for her...

According to vets here, her paralysis is permanent and cannot be operated (if I remember correctly she has two damaged discs). She is fairly easy to care for, when Lys first took her in she was dribbling urine constantly due to overflow but has adapted very well to having her bladder expressed and remains dry between expressing times.

If we found the right family for her we would move mountains. She will be given in adoption spayed, fully vaccinated and with any required tests carried out according to the country of adoption.

The contact email for more information about adopting Cati is (please remove spaces)
clubdekat @ gmail.com

Adoption would depend on us being able to organise the required homecheck beforehand. The photos attached are from a fair we attended the last weekend in October, where Cati was a star as she walked the catwalk!
Attachments
salon adda 006 (Small).jpg
salon adda 008 (Small).jpg
salon adda 014 (Small).jpg
Debbie-Spain

Post by Debbie-Spain »

This is where Cati was when still with her hunter owner, she was kept tied on a rope in a kind of yard which they had put carpet over, you can see her pee patches on it. She had been there for months and finally the hunter decided she was no use to him so he took her to the vet to be put to sleep. One of our colleagues happened to be at the clinic and asked him not to PTS her until she had spoken to us.

In fact, most hunters in Spain would have probably shot Cati (or worse) when she first went down, so I guess she was lucky that hers was one of the kinder ones...

Debbie
Attachments
PICT0018.JPG
PICT0019.JPG
PICT0023.JPG
Debbie-Spain

Post by Debbie-Spain »

About an hour after I posted this yesterday, Lys called me to say the inevitable had happened... Cati tried to have a go at Lia, and Lia responded. The problem is that Cati is a doxie and Lia is a Rottweiler...

There was a lot of blood. Cati had to be taken to emergency, have two wounds stitched up and has a lot of swelling and bruising. Fortunately Lia caught Cati on her rear end which means that Cati is not in too much pain due to lack of pain sensation.

I'm not sure what will happen next as she is still at the vet's now and will be for a couple of days, but we have no more foster homes available to take any more paralysed animals...

Debbie
Kat's Club for Disabled Pets in Spain
www.elclubdekat.org
cbsmemds

Best Friends

Post by cbsmemds »

Debbie

You might try Best Friends. I contacted them once for help with a handicapped animal and they were able to help. It is worth a shot anyway. My home is full to maximum capacity right now and I can't take on anymore. I don't know of anyone or anywhere else to turn except Best Friends.

Marcia
doxiemomma87

Post by doxiemomma87 »

If there was ANY way catie could be transported to the US I would be more then willing to take her! I have rescued and rehabilitated a doxie that had to have his bladder expressed before. He is now doing WONDERFUL and can not potty on his own. And he has a great new home! I have posted on here for finacial help for my little guy who has a spinal issue, but other than his huge expenses needed to see a neurologist I have always taken him to all appointments and paid for them fully on my own. So don't let that deture you. I have a vet willing to give references as to how well cared for my dachshund boys are, and how they are always up to date on any and all medical issues. I can also provide neuter proof as well. I would hate for Cati to be seriously injured by the larger dog. I live in Oregon and if there is any way possible that someone could transfer her, I am glad to open my home to her. Please let me know if there is anything that can be done.
Amanda.
Doxiemomma87@yahoo.com
Debbie-Spain

Re: Cati: Paralysed female doxie in Spain

Post by Debbie-Spain »

Well, it took us two years but Cati has finally found her forever home!

I'm sorry Doxiemomma, I never saw your message, for some reason I didn't get an email advising me of your post and only found it now when I dug out this old thread; thank you anyway for your kind offer.

Am attaching photos of Cati getting kitted out with a new wardrobe in a new home, her wheelchair gave up but she should be getting a new one soon!

Debbie
Attachments
cati10.JPG
cati4.JPG
cati11.JPG
Kat's Club for Disabled Pets in Spain
www.elclubdekat.org
CarolC

Re: Cati: Paralysed female doxie in Spain

Post by CarolC »

That is great! It sure looks like a nice place there. That was wonderful that you kept trying for TWO YEARS! :angel: You might want to show her the wiki page with ideas for drag suits including homemade?

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php/Diapers_and_male_wraps