bilateral "amputee" babies, Galveston

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
critters
Founding Member

bilateral "amputee" babies, Galveston

Post by critters »

These precious little roly-poly puppies were born with their back legs deformed, and they cannot walk on them. Their mom was injured while she was pregnant and underwent surgery to save her life, which may or may not have caused the deformities, but we suspect it did.
She had four puppies, all with similar deformities. Some kind soul took two of them to raise, but these two babies were turned in to Galveston County Animal Shelter (GCAS) just before closing time yesterday afternoon. The GCAS staff does not want to put them down, but will have to if we, Shelter Buddies, can't find a special person to give them a foster or permanent home ASAP.

I don't think Jack and Jill will ever be able to use their back legs, but we at Shelter Buddies want to take them to two different vets for their opinions, Dr. Henderson, who operated on Annie, and Dr. Hebert, who is also very knowledgeable. If surgery will help them, we'll be fundraising for the surgeries. If they need wheeled carts, we'll be fundraising for that. But right now we need some safe place for them to stay.

The puppies do a pretty good job of pulling themselves around with their front legs, they eat and poop and pee just like any little puppy, and they appear to be perfectly healthy except for their back legs. They were vaccinated last night, they have only been at GCAS overnight, and they are in the adoption room, not with the general population, so it is unlikely that they have caught anything at GCAS.

If you can foster them, please contact Gwen at gnorman@gchd.org or (409) 948-2485 or me at shelterbuddies@aol.com.

Otherwise, please pass this along to help them find a foster or permanent home with someone very special.

Lynne
Lord, help me be the kind of person my dogs think I am.
Shelter Buddies of Texas, Inc.
P.O. Box 1005
Texas City, Texas 77592
(409) 392-4411
Shelter Buddies Adoptable Pets
jacknjill.jpg
babylegs.jpg