GS Mix/Handicap/EuthDate 6-20/IN. Kill Shelter

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
mumpkees

Re: GS Mix/Handicap/EuthDate 6-20/IN. Kill Shelter

Post by mumpkees »

Soooooooooooooo happy that the kids are finally home! It sounds like everyone is settling in.

It was a LOT of work, but there were many who stepped up to help just when we thought it wasn't ever going to happen. Bless you Jean for not giving up on Ranger and Nova! For Ranger and Nova, you truly were a lives saver!
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
Jean

Post by Jean »

Thanks MEK,
They have already settled down considerably. I am now allowing Ranger to roam in the house with lots of supervision. I bought the first 2 seasons of Dog Whisperer. I just love Cesar Millan. I would like my next vocation to be a Doggy Trainer. LOL Nova has gotten along with everyone from the very beginning.
To think that they were just "strays" in a shelter before they were brought to our attention. The shelter was so full that they had no idea what nice dogs they truly were. It is sad to think that dogs just as wonderful as them die without even being given a chance. /Jean
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Jean is a perfect example of one person making a huge difference in life and death.

We can all do this, but we need Jean's passion, determination, and HEART.

If you see a critter (sorry critters) in an URGENT post, stop what you are doing, and make a difference. Life depends on it.

Jean, you teach and inspire daily.

Hugs to Ranger & Nova.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Jean

Post by Jean »

Thank you Karen for all the kind words but there were so many people who made it all happen.
But, you are very right. One person can make a difference.
For example the post about Tia the kitty in CA with CH. Ashley a volunteer had her heart touched and posted on this very forum about wanting to help her. I suggested that she pull her to give her more time and have now put her into contact with several from this group that help with rehoming and transport. Sometimes just giving them little ideas can make all the difference in the world.
Please don't be afraid to reach out and support someone who is asking for help. This doesn't mean that you will have to adopt them. Most of us already have very full homes but you can give them ideas and support. Merely posting a needy pet is not enough. You need to market the pet and get the "ball rolling." Yeah, it take some time but not all that much. Some of these guys have no one. Just by drawing attention to them and asking questions of the shelter staff and volunteers can make all the difference in the world. If the staff at the shelter thinks that people are honestly interested then they will go the extra step to help them find a home.
Please be there for these needy little ones. You can make a difference just by responding./Jean
Jean

Post by Jean »

WOW guys,
Over 800 people have viewed these posts about Ranger and Nova. Think of the magnitude of that. Over 800 people have been exposed to the JOYS associated with adopting a special needs pet from a long distance. That can really make a difference for a lot of very needy animals.
Ranger and Nova are doing very well. It has been so hot here that they have spent most of the time inside. I think Ranger is a couch potato. :) Nova is a velcro dog who is just happy to have toys and someone to love her. Ranger's therapy is a little exhausting for him. I try to do ROM on his leg 3x a day plus he goes to therapy 2x a week. We are trying to get as much "return of functioning" as possible. He has the BEST vet.
Since so many are still reading these posts I want to link to the URGENT Rescue Forum on this board.
The volunteers at the shelter where Nova and Ranger were adopted sent me an email about another Special needs dog that needs a home. He is not getting as much "readership" and I want to give him as much exposure as possible.
The special doggy is named Gus and he is a very sweet 7 year old Greyhound mix (He looks like a Shepherd to me.) He is blind in one eye and nearly blind in the other. I am asking for more information on him and even trying to get the volunteers at the shelter to join our site.
Carol, Lee or Karen or who ever is not technologically disabled :lol: could you please post here and give the link to his site. I want to give Gus a better chance. I can't imagine being nearly blind and the stress of a shelter setting.
Could we work to find this guy a home? I have lots of contacts in Indianapolis and the shelter is in Madison only a little ways away. After we got transport for Ranger and Nova I was contacted by a lady through the vet clinic who will transport out of Indy. Please mention this very sweet guy to anyone who might like a sweet furry fellow to love. Please consider adopting him. You can always make room for 1 MORE !!!! :)

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11819 (link to Gus)
Last edited by Jean on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added link to Gus in Urgent Rescue at Jean's request
Jean

Post by Jean »

Ranger and Nova are adjusting so well. We spent the evening in the yard playing fetch. Ranger will fetch almost anything that is thrown. It is good for his leg to get out and run. After about 30 minutes I had him come in and rest he was exhausted.
Ranger is doing well with his therapy and making great gains as far as ROM. The vet is so creative with her approaches to encourage him to "get up and get to moving". After things settle down a little school wise I'm going to check into swim therapy for Ranger. It will be so beneficial for him.
Earlier in the week I introduced Nova to my dog Shelby. Shelby has some aggression issues with my other dogs but in just a few short hours Shelby was giving Nova doggy smiles. Shelby hasn't allowed another dog near her since her best friend Katie was HBC. (See earlier posts.) I stood out in the yard and cried when they finally started playing together. Shelby has been so lonely without Katie and hasn't played in the yard since Katie's death last February. I introduced Ranger to Shelby yesterday and now they are just one big happy family. SIGH I'm so happy with how everything turned out. :D /Jean

PS: Gus has been rescued from the shelter. A local rescue took him. :D
Christine

Post by Christine »

Dear Jean,

I cry every time I read one of your posts.."goooooood" cry. Your babies are so lucky!

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Jean

Post by Jean »

Well, as long as it is a GOOD cry Christine :)
Ranger, Nova and Shelby have become quite a 3 some lately. In the evenings when it is cooler and Jordan has gone to bed they will play together for hours.
Ranger is still going to therapy 2x a week. The girth size of his leg has increased considerably due to the muscle mass he is building. The PT vet said that he is such a willing patient and will do whatever is requested of him. Ranger is getting real close to having had 6 weeks of therapy. The vet said at that point we would evaluate progress and she would make recommendations from there. He still limps a lot and often "carries his leg" and doesn't weight bear on it. But, he has made tremendous improvement. I know the therapy has helped but I'm sure non stop running, wrestling and playing for hours with bigger dogs in the yard has contributed as well. After 2 weeks at AC in Madison as well as 4 weeks in a kennel at the vet in Indy anyone would loose muscle mass.
When I look back over "Ranger's story" I almost find it hard to believe all he went through to get home. It was quite an ordeal but so worth it. /Jean
Jean

Post by Jean »

Hi,
I wanted to close this topic but letting you know that Ranger and Nova are doing wonderful. Ranger still "carries" his leg most of the time but he requires no more care than a "normal" pets. Ranger and Nova are wonderful companion doggies. I'm so glad that they are mine !!!!!!!!!!!

There are still so many disabled pets being listed on a daily basis on this bb. Reading the Urgent Rescue and Rescue forums can literally break your heart. So, many pets have lost or never even had a family to love them. I don't see how people break their bond and decided to abandon their pet but ...

I just wanted to encourage everyone to consider giving a pet on one of these two forums a home.
A disabled pet causes you to see the world differently. It makes you realize that being perfect isn't so important in this imperfect world. I have grown so much as a person since I adopted my pets with disabilities. They have opened up a whole different world to me that I could have so easily missed out on.
Please consider given one of these pets a home. This bb is here to support "parents" of disabled pets and we function as a "community" that will lead you along the way.
Thanks to everyone who read Ranger's story./Jean
Jean

Post by Jean »

I'm not sure if anyone remembers Ranger and Nova. It has been 3 1/2 years since I adopted them from Indiana. But, Nova got out of the yard this afternoon. A work man had been working around my house this morning and when he left he left one of the gates open. I should have checked but I got busy. But, anyway Ranger and Nova were out in the yard playing while I was expressing. They were really quiet which Nova never is so I went to check on them. Nova had pushed on the open gate and taken off. Ranger was still in the yard. I went in to get my keys and noticed a message on my cell from a friend. She had receive a message from the microchip company saying that someone had picked up Nova. I called the lady and she had taken Nova to the shelter. The shelter was due to close in 15 minutes. We raced over to the shelter and sure enough there was Nova. She looked terrified. They hadn't had time to enter her information so we were lucky and didn't have to pay a fine.
The Animal Control officer said that she had been found standing in the middle of a very busy road only 2 blocks from my house. The posted speed limit in that area is 40 miles an hour.
Thank God the lady stopped and took her to the shelter.
Just a reminder to always check your gates whenever you have work done around your home.
Also, remember to update your contact information with the microchip company. I had changed numbers and if it wasn't for my friend being on the contact information I would have had no idea that Nova was at the shelter.
Thanks to all good samaritans who take the time to help a wayward fur child.
Nova is exhaused and ate a quick suppper and I haven't heard a work out of her.
She was so, so scared.
Nova had angels watching over her today !!!!!!!/Jean
PS: Ranger is so glad to have his sister home and safe !!!!!
Christine

Post by Christine »

Oh Jean...my heart just stopped reading that. I am so happy Nova is okaye. Good reminders for everyone!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08