GS Mix/Handicap/EuthDate 6-20/IN. Kill Shelter

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
cbsmemds

Re: GS Mix/Handicap/EuthDate 6-20/IN. Kill Shelter

Post by cbsmemds »

Jean,

I think the more shelters/rescues we contact the better his chances.

Marcia
SandyNY

Post by SandyNY »

Yes, I am interested in adopting Ranger.I do not have any transport contacts, however so need major pulls there.
Ranger is good at escape and getting out of collar so I would send $ and ask if someone there would purchase him a step-in harness for his transprt. even if he is caged during transport, he will need to get out to potty and such and he doesn't need to be running down a hiway somewheres else!!!
cbsmemds

Post by cbsmemds »

Sandy

Did you contact the shelter and let them know you would like to adopt Ranger? I am sure they would be willing to help with transport as well. This is great news.

Good for you and good for Ranger.

Marcia
Jean

Post by Jean »

Good morning Jean,

We're in a rural area so we don't have the numbers Wichita does. It's raining kittens right now, but luckily Kentucky Humane and Indianapolis Humane will take kittens and they have assured us they will be adopted. As far as I know, we're lucky with the older cats. They are euthanized for medical/behavioral reasons only. We have some cat lovers in the area that adopt/foster them and then if the cats can be outside there are plenty of farms. I think it helps that our director loves cats.

Ranger has had his first set of shots (DAPP), bordetella, and dewormed. If we transport him, he will have his rabies shot and a health certificate. When he sees the vet we can have him heartworm tested then. We do not have the money to neuter (assuming he hasn't been). I don't know how we'll get him to NY, but when she commits to him I'll start contacting area rescue people that are much more experienced than I am and find a way there./Gayle
Jean

Post by Jean »

Sorry I'm so slow to respond this AM. My 2 dogs have storm anxiety and I was up all night with them. I kinda fell asleep on the couch and had to rush to get KolbeSue and Jaime's bladders done and Kolbe is constipated ...
But, anyway.
Sandy I have read lots of Karen's emails that have to do with transports. The first thing she always says is to go to the transport forum at the bottom of the main page and fill out the transport questionaire. It is just a short form. It just asks general questions about Ranger. If you are not sure of the answer then just leave that question blank. Then, post it on that forum.
It sounds like the shelter is very willing to work with anyone on transportation. : )
Go for it Sandy. :D /Jean
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

The first thing you have to do is get a coordinator. That's the hardest part. When this has a DATE, please let me know ASAP, the info Jean spells out in the transport forum. I cannot post without it. SandyNY, are you ready now?

Is the shelter? I need contacts to post for a coordinator, ASAP, of course.

Jean, GET SOME L-TRYPTOPHAN! Ambrr is extremely neurotic during storms (a long and miserable story of a powerful and angry dog that I tried to save from a rescuer, and it went very badly and he is the reason Ambrr is so neurotic).
Ambrr totally calms with the L-T, which I bury in a peanut butter sandwich.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Jean

Post by Jean »

Karen thank you for your response. :D
I was getting anxious and emailed MEK wondering where you were. She said "Well, you know not all people are off the entire summer. " :lol: I guess that I had forgotten that.
I PMed Sandy and have been checking the transport form but haven't heard back from her
Is it correct what I said to her that she needed to post the information to the transportation forum after she filled out the form?
I'm anxious to get Ranger to his new home. It makes me uneasy having a dog in a shelter /Jean
PS: Karen how do you go about finding a transport coordinator?
Jean

Post by Jean »

Here is the latest email from the shelter. Gayle is one of the volunteers. All of the Volunteers have been so good about communicating with me. You can tell that they care a lot. :) /Jean

Jean,
Today was a zoo at the shelter. I can tell you that Ranger is an absolute doll. One of the most loving gentle dogs I've ever met.
Gayle

I need the form filled out immediately, if not sooner. I am right now posting to special_needs_rescue_dogs@yahoogroups.com as well as Katie Walter that we need a COORDINATOR ASAP.

I will forward to you and MEK.

I can only 'work' after work :shock:
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!

URGENT URGENT URGENT THREE DAYS TO LIVE

RANGER NEEDS RESCUE AND HE NEEDS IT NOW!

-

-- On Mon, 6/16/08, Jean5601@aol.com <Jean5601@aol.com> wrote:

Subject: Only 4 days to live
To: mekolbe@mycomhouston.com, andys_child@yahoo.com
Cc: Jean5601@aol.com
Date: Monday, June 16, 2008, 8:19 PM

Ranger has 3 days left to live!
Euthanasia date: 2008-06-20 Reason for euthanasia: Medical

email Ranger to a Friend | Printer Friendly

Ranger

Breed: German Shepherd Dog (mix breed)
Size: Medium
specialNeeds,

Shelter: Madison-Jefferson County Animal Shelter
2727 Hannah Drive
Madison, IN
Shelter dog ID: Ranger
Contact tel: 812-273-1788
Contact name: Jenny, Kristen or Chris
Contact email: jcas39@verizon.net

About Ranger Hi, I'm RANGER. I need someone willing to love a handicapped pet. I'm a 1-3 yr. old shepherd mix dog. I'm a nice boy in need of a home & some tender-loving-care right away! I must have been hit by a car some time ago. I have healed, but I have a lame back leg from the trauma. I can still get around though! I still have love to give. I'm a friendly fella and I even like cats. I like to have a soft place to lay down. Please help me find a home. Thanks, Ranger. You can find my shelter information at: www.sisaveapet.com then click on: Madison Jefferson County Animal Shelter. Don't adopt just because you feel sorry for Ranger!
Adoption should be a well thought out decision, it's a lifetime commitment.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
Jean

Post by Jean »

Hi to Everyone watching Ranger's Page. I kinda feel like I am doing a telethon except if we don't find him a home he goes to his death. I received an email from Sandy this evening. With her pet situation she is not going to be able to adopt Range. I cried when I read that.
I have become so attached to this fellow from all the emails and all the phone calls we have made on his behalf. But, we still don't have him a home. Why is that? He is not that disabled. I recently adopted a 3 week old paralyzed kitten. She needs her bladder expressed every 4-6 hours. She requires a lot of time as well as Jaime my 10 year old paralyzed cat but Ranger is not that much different that a "normal" dog. Yeah, he might need help with stairs when he get older and he may have some arthritis issues in his future but so do "normal" dogs.
Ranger is certainly a very handsome fellow. We have showed everyone so many pictures and he is quite the "ham". We have described all his attributes. He loves attention and people and even cats. The email from Gayle talked about what a great dog he is and how much he has to offer.
Transportation is not a big issue. Karen has transport available. It is there for the taking. There are transport groups all over the Internet. Even truckers donate their time to transport needy souls that need a home.
Why doesn't anyone show interest in Ranger? Last time I looked over 150 people had read these posts. No one is interested? No one even asks questions. If you are interested we could have the shelter evaluate particular concerns.
I'm not sure what else to do. I can't believe that a doggy this great is going to be lead down that long hallway on Friday. He is going to have his leg shaved and they are going to stick a needle into his vein. All the while Ranger is going to be thumping his tail and looking happily at the workers doing everything they can do not to cry. Then, he is going to slump down onto the cold metal table and never move again because he's not worth of a home? I don't think so. He is going to die because nobody cares.
Ranger has never had a home in his whole life where he was loved. He has blossomed at the shelter. Before he came to the shelter he was hit by a car. He was never taken to a Vet for care. Can you imagine the pain he endured? In all likelihood he lay by the side of the road just trying to get the strength to drag himself away. He had no home to even drag himself to. Even with no care he finally improved and is now walking . Ranger is a fighter. He wants to live. He doesn't want to meet his death at the end of a needle on a cold sterile table on Friday.
Ranger wants a home. He wants someone to love. He wants to belong.
Please consider adopting Ranger. You won't regret it./Jean
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Ranger still needs a home.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Hi Carol,
:thankyou: Thank you for caring about Ranger and taking the time to post. He would give you WET doggy kisses if he were here. :) I noticed that over 40 people have read the posts since last evening and almost 200 people have read the posts total. WOW, if you think about it, if 200 people told someone about Ranger and those 200 people then told someone else ... That could really add up.

You know I read on the Internet under a rescue forum that there is a home for every dog but sometimes it takes a while to find that special home. I believe that. At least from the pets that I have rescued. Each one is special and I can't imagine them not being in my life. I know that there is someone who would love to have Ranger. We just haven't found them yet. But they are out there.

We received some good news today about Ranger, The shelter staff and volunteers have been reading Handicapedpets.com and they are so impressed with how hard we are working to find Ranger a home that they extended his euthanasia date to 6/27. Isn't that great? :bounce: :bounce:

I spent the day emailing Ranger's flyer to all the GS rescue groups in and around Indiana. A few of them replied. Most don't take mixed breed German Shepherds because the shelter's are full of purebreds which most people seem to want. The rest are full.

I just wrote tonight to ask you to please don't give up on Ranger. He has had a life time of abuse. He has never had someone who loved him. Surely, there is someone who has a home and LOVE to share. Doesn't anyone want a lovable, sweet, snuggly, warm doggy to love ???? /Jean
PS: MEK and Karen have been so supportive with helping to place Ranger. Would anyone else like to help?
Jean

Post by Jean »

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

I hope in 9 more days I won't be posting this.

Here is the site where you can see Ranger.
He is really a very handsome boy isn't he.

http://www.dogsindanger.com/dog.jsp?did=1213188885953

While navigating the web looking for rescues I found 2 things I wanted to share.

"The Animal Savior" by Jim Willis 1999

I looked at the caged animals in the shelter ... the cast offs of human society.
I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal.
And I was angry.
"God" I said. "This is terrible! Why don't you do something?"
God was silent for a moment and than
He spoke softly.
"I have done something." He replied.
"I created you."

Plus, one other thing that is so applicable to animals in need.

" I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."

Please tell your friends about Ranger./Jean
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

The info about Ranger is spread out in a a lot of posts. His injuries are detailed but what of his past (it says he was neglected in one spot) and of his temperment (runs away?, good with cats it says elsewhere)?

Can someone put together a synopsis so that potential adopters can get as much info as possible, especially if the adoption is to be sight unseen and across state, country lines?

I sure am pulling for this guy. I would snap him up in a heartbeat.