GS Mix/Handicap/EuthDate 6-20/IN. Kill Shelter

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
Jean

Re: GS Mix/Handicap/EuthDate 6-20/IN. Kill Shelter

Post by Jean »

Hi Lisa thank you for your post. Also thank you for your encouraging words.
I also believe that Ranger will find a home. Thaank you for all you're doing to help him. The shelter emailed me this morning and they are so full. SIGH But, they are giving Ranger more time.
I have workmen at my house. I have to watch all the kids so no one darts out the door. I especially have to watch Jordan. Remember him from my Emergency Aggressive Dog posts. SIGH
I will get on the write up when they leave. They will be here most of the day.
We know nothing of Ranger's past. He was picked up as a stray. But, we do know that he is a very loving doggy who loves cats. Thanks again for caring LIsa, Jean
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

Hi Jean,

You and Karen and countless others are the ones saving him!

Do you think he would be good with kids?
Jean

Post by Jean »

Lisa I've been trying to call the shelter to find out if he is good with children.There line keeps being busy but he has been out in their lobby for several days greeting people and is doing well./Jean
Jean

Post by Jean »

Hi Everyone,
As you can tell I haven't posted for a while. I needed a break from campaigning for Ranger. It was just so stressful to think that he would likely die this week. Since I last posted I had talked to the shelter every day. I found out one day when I called that Ranger was starting to develop stress related behaviors and as a result he was not being allowed out in the lobby anymore. The shelter was filling quickly and he was on the list to be euthanized whenever their director returned the next week. As a result, I decided that I had to do something.
On Friday I told the shelter that I would adopt him myself. :D I also adopted a black Lab mix named Nova who was scheduled to die as well. It has been a "wild" last couple days. MEK helped me find a rescue group through her contacts in Indianapolis. The rescue lady Margaret drove 2 hours down to Madison and pulled them on Saturday morning.
Ranger and Nova spent the day at another rescuers home in Indianapolis until we could get them settled at a Veterinary Clinic in Indianapolis today. I have seen pictures of him since he was pulled he looks like a different dog. :D Margaret said that Ranger is such a "people" dog and enjoyed the weekend playing in the yard.
I already have a full house but I can make room for 2 more. :) I feel so relieved since I adopted Ranger. The staff and volunteers were so helpful and kept me so well informed. I can't believe that the rescue lady Margaret drove a total of 4 hours to rescue 2 dogs that were on death row. She has a really, really BIG HEART !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to everyone who read my posts and considered adopting Ranger. Please remember all the dogs at your local shelters who need a home. There are thousands of "Ranger's" out there who just need a family and someone to love them./Jean
Christine

Post by Christine »

Oh, Jean...you are an angel for sure. I reluctantly continued reading the thread, dreading the worst. What a beautiful ending to this story. You are the best.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

Jean:

Even though I was in the thick of this rescue and knew that you had saved both Ranger and Nova, I wanted to say GREAT job! Even I was amazed and impressed at how wonderful and helpful people were. The shelter was very accommodating - opening up early so that the lady who drove two hours to get them could. And a lady who had never even heard of mari or jean, within in minutes rearranged her saturday plans so that she could save two shelter dogs on death row. And then when there were no boarding vets open on a saturday with space, this very special woman, talked her friend into letting Ranger and Nova stay in her carpeted garage for the weekend!

I couldn't believe the transformation from 'shelter dogs' to 'gotcha day dogs' - Ranger and Nova didn't even look like the same dogs - amazing what the first taste of freedom can do. They are beautiful dogs and I know when we finally get them home to you, they will blossom even more knowing that they now have a forever home and someone to love them.

Bless you Jean for caring enough to literally move heaven and earth to save two shelter dogs! /mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
janeiro

Post by janeiro »

:bounce: :lol:
Jean,
I too would like to thank you and say that you are truly a star. I live in Brazil, so couldn't do anything from here to help. I have thirteen rescue dogs here. Nearly all with problems either physical or mental. I know all about the stress and hard work involved in rescuing dogs. They are worth every moment though! Thank God people like you exist we need more people like you here in Brazil. I am overwhelmed with the problems here!
Jan.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: janeiro!
Jean

Post by Jean »

:thankyou: Christine, MEK and Jan for all your kind words.
Even though Ranger was the one who was rescued from the shelter, lately, I have been feeling like the lucky one. I have been asking myself why Ranger? When I first read about Ranger I copied the post and sent it to MEK. In that email, I mentioned how sorry I felt for him. Then, I said "I can't believe no one even took him for treatment after he was HBC". Then, I said "I would have done anything to have saved MY Katie. :cry:
Katie was my Border Collie who broke a panel out of my 6' privacy fence on February 1st of this year. She had only gotten out 1 time before in 6 years. My other dog stated barking and I went looking for her. I looked for 2 hours in the darkness and found her about 4 blocks from where I live. She had been HBC and was lying beside the highway. I will never forget the cold chills I felt as I pulled her lifeless body off of the road. It appeared that she likely died instantly from being hit in the head.
I have had a lot of problems forgiving myself for this. I heard my dogs barking but I was expressing Jaime's bladder and Ithought they likely just saw a rabbit in the fields. I felt I had to get Jaime finished because I was late doing her due to getting home from work late because I was out trapping a mother cat that I had been trying to catch for months. She was pregnant and I wanted to get her somewhere safe.
That is probably the reason why I think I was so drawn to Ranger. They were both HBC. It is ironic that Katie had an owner who would have moved heaven and earth to have saved her and she still died and Ranger lived even though no one cared about him.
I will never be able to change what happened to Katie but at least I can make a difference for Ranger and Nova.
I think pets come into our lives for a reason. I don't believe it is just chance.
Please continue to keep Ranger in your prayers. We still don't have transport for him and Nova.The ground transports have all fallen through. However, Margaret the lady who pulled him from the shelter on Saturday may have the possibility for a transport on July 11.
It would be nice to get them home sooner but I guess as long as they are safe that is what is important. Margaret's rescue is letting us use her rescue discount to get Ranger and Nova totally vetted. She is such a caring person. :D
But, any way I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone and ask that you keep praying that my "babies" will be home really soon. If you have any ideas or leads for transport it would be greatly appreciated. They need to travel from Indianapolis, Indiana to Wichita, Kansas.
MEK has kinda been my unofficial transport coordinator. I have sent her hundreds of emails and even called her to "bounce" ideas off of her. Thank you so much dear friend. :)
/Jean
Jean

Post by Jean »

Hi GUYS,
I wanted to show you a "run sheet" for Ranger and Nova. We have a transport coordinator who is just terrific. She is posting everywhere imaginable to try to get my new "kids" home. Hopefully, if we get all the runs filled they will be home by late Saturday night. If they make it on Saturday that will be 21 days since they were pulled from AC in Madison. IN. When I adopted Angel from AC in Miami Florida 2 summers ago. It also took him 21 days to get home to Kansas.
But, anyway I just wanted to let you know where we are in the transport process. (I also posted this run sheet in the transport forum but I didn't know how to post a link (I am technologically impaired LOL) so I thought I would post it here also to make sure everyone who has been following their story saw it.)
If anyone lives near any of the "open run areas" listed on the run sheet below or is planning a vacation in this area please consider helping to get them home.
Thanks a lot guys !!!!!!!!!!!!
Hopefully next time I post I will be able to tell you that they are finally HOME safe./Jean :D
PS: See it is possible to adopt a pet from across the country. It takes a lot of work but it can be done. Please consider adopting a Special Needs pet you will never regret it and YOU will truly be a LIFESAVER to that animal in need.

All along I-70 West: Terre Haute to Kansas City -- 5 legs needed -- FLEXIBLE RUN!!
**PLEASE CROSSPOST!! Your contacts are needed to help these great dogs!!**

GAS MONEY AVAILABLE! Please don't let the high cost of fuel stop you from volunteering for this transport. Thanks to a benefactor's generosity, gas money is readily available to anyone who is able to help get these babies home.

All legs are flexible: ANY miles covered are very much appreciated!!
Just let me know what you can drive, and we'll work it out. Thanks!

If you can help, please email Maureen, transport coordinator, at auntie_mo@hotmail.com and include the following:
Name:

Leg(s) you can help with:

Vehicle description:

License plate # and state of issue:

Cell phone #:

Two great dogs (one with special needs) were adopted from a kill shelter JUST in time and have been trying for weeks to get to their forever home in Wichita, KS. Two additional passengers, a sweet HW+ girl named "Angel" and a very nice Golden named "Daisy," will join the transport in St. Louis. They will go to an approved foster home in Kansas City and will wait there until their transport the following weekend to their Colorado rescue group.
Can YOU help us get these dogs from Terre Haute to Wichita and Kansas City this Saturday?

SATURDAY – JULY 12, 2008
**15 minutes have been added between each leg for potty break and transfer**
PLEASE remember to transfer the paperwork with the dogs!! :)

Leg 1
Indianapolis, IN to Terre Haute, IN
77.8 mi – about 1 hour 18 mins
7:45 a.m. to 9:05 a.m. (EASTERN)
FILLED! Thanks, Sue!

Leg 2
Terre Haute, IN to Effingham, IL
70.2 mi – about 1 hour 13 mins
9:20 a.m. (EASTERN) to 9:35 a.m. (CENTRAL)
**NEEDED**

Leg 3
Effingham, IL to St. Louis, MO
102 mi – about 1 hour 44 mins
9:50 a.m. to 11:35 a.m. (CENTRAL)
**NEEDED**

Leg 4 (Angel and Daisy join the transport here)
St. Louis, MO to Kingdom City, MO
103 mi – about 1 hour 42 mins
11:50 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
**NEEDED**

Leg 5
Kingdom City, MO to the Marshall, MO Interchange
68 miles -- about 1 hour
1:45 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.
**NEEDED**

Leg 6
Marshall, MO Interchange to Kansas City, MO
80 mi – about 1 hour 15 mins
3:00 p.m. to 4:15 p.m.
**NEEDED**

Leg 7
Kansas City, MO to Emporia, KS
108 mi – about 1 hour 42 mins
4:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m.
FILLED! Thanks, Maureen!

Leg 8
Emporia, KS to Wichita, KS
87.8 mi – about 1 hour 25 mins
6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
FILLED! Thanks, Lou Anne!

PASSENGERS #1 and #2
RESPONSIBLE RESCUE GROUP OR PERSON: Margaret O'Connor, New Beginnings Shih Tzu (& Friends) Rescue

http://www.nbstr.org/
e-mail: indytzu@sbcglobal.net

COMING FROM: Indianapolis, IN

GOING TO: Permanent home: Jean in Wichita, KS (e-mail: Jean5601@aol.com)

Ranger's new mom, Jean, writes: "Ranger is a 43# German Shepherd mix dog. He was on handicappedpet.com when I first saw him. He was scheduled to die and I spent hours trying to find someone to adopt him. I felt so sorry for him because he has never had a real home and even after being HBC (hit by a car) did not receive treatment. He had a broken pelvis and knee but no one bothered to take him in for treatment. His leg is essentially useless and he drags it behind him. However, he is able to walk and is a very happy, friendly fellow. Last Saturday I decided to adopt him and through Internet contacts found someone in a rescue group in Indianapolis to drive 2 hours to Madison, Indiana to pull him from the Animal Shelter. He was scheduled to die on Monday... Now, he is at the vet clinic being boarded. Please help me get my baby home to Kansas where he can finally have his own family to love him."

(Jean's heart also went out to Nova, who was scheduled to die the same day as Ranger. Now these two lucky dogs need our help to get to their new forever home.)
Passenger #1 -- Ranger
BREED: German Shepherd mix

SEX: Male
SIZE/WEIGHT: Medium 37#
SPAY/NEUTERED: Yes
SHOT UTD: Yes
RABIES VACCINE AND TAG: Yes
HEALTH CERTIFICATE: Yes
OK WITH DOGS: Ranger is a little snappy with little dogs. But, the first time he saw Nova, he accepted a kiss from her and they did fine together.
OK WITH CATS: Ranger loves cats.
OK WITH KIDS: Yes, he enjoyed running and playing with the foster mom's grandson.
LEASH TRAINED: Somewhat
CRATE TRAINED: Yes

SPECIAL NEEDS: Ranger has a lame back leg which he drags behind him. He was likely hit by a car, or has a congenital defect.
DOES THE DOG RIDE WELL IN A CAR: Yes

ADDITIONAL INFO: Ranger loves people. He loves to be with them. He loves to play in the yard and lay in the sun.
ITEMS PROVIDED: Paperwork, Collar, Leash (these are required items). Will also have a harness.
ITEMS NEEDED: Crate if desired - NOT provided. Please provide a water bowl for your leg of the transport.

REASON FOR TRANSPORT: Ranger was pulled from a high-kill shelter in Madison, IN. He had only 2 more days to live. I want to provide him a forever home in Wichita, Kansas.

Passenger #2 -- Nova
BREED: Labrador Retriever mix

SEX: Female
SIZE/WEIGHT: Large 60#
OK WITH DOGS: Yes
OK WITH CATS: Chases them a little
OK WITH KIDS: Yes, I think so. The foster said that her grandchildren were there when Nova was there.
LEASH TRAINED: Needs lots of instruction. Rather exuberant.

SPECIAL NEEDS: No
DOES THE DOG RIDE WELL IN A CAR: Yes, she likes to look out the window !!!

ADDITIONAL INFO: Nova loves to play in the yard. She also loves people.
ITEMS PROVIDED: Paperwork, Collar, Leash (these are required items). Will also have a harness.
ITEMS NEEDED: Crate if desired - NOT provided. Please supply a water bowl for your leg of the transport.

REASON FOR TRANSPORT: Nova was pulled from a high-kill shelter. She had only 2 more days to live. She has a forever home in Wichita Kansas eagerly awaiting her.

PASSENGERS #3 and #4

RESPONSIBLE RESCUE GROUP OR PERSON: Jill Joyner

COMING FROM: Dyersburg, TN animal shelter

GOING TO: Approved foster in Kansas City, pending CO transport, on behalf of

Retriever Rescue of Colorado, Inc., P.O. Box 221495, Denver, CO 80222 303-828-7543

Passenger #3 -- Angel
BREED: Aussie/Golden Retriever Mix

SIZE/WEIGHT: Large: 60#

SHOT UTD:yes
RABIES VACCINE AND TAG: will have
HEALTH CERTIFICATE: will have
OK WITH DOGS: yes
OK WITH CATS: unknown
OK WITH KIDS: yes
LEASH TRAINED: fairly well
CRATE TRAINED: yes
SPECIAL NEEDS: Angel is heartworm positive, so needs to be kept calm. She will be treated by receiving rescue.
DOES THE DOG RIDE WELL IN A CAR: yes

ADDITIONAL INFO:
ITEMS PROVIDED: Paperwork, Collar, Leash (these are required items)
ITEMS NEEDED: Crate or harness if desired - NOT provided. Please supply a water bowl for your leg of the transport.
REASON FOR TRANSPORT: Transfer to approved Kansas City foster home, pending final destination in Colorado.

Passenger #4 -- Daisy
BREED: Golden Retriever

SIZE/WEIGHT: Large: 65#

LEASH TRAINED: yes

ADDITIONAL INFO:
ITEMS NEEDED: Crate or harness if desired - NOT provided. Please supply a water bowl for your leg of the transport.
REASON FOR TRANSPORT: Transfer to approved Kansas City foster home, pending final destination in Colorado.

On the day of transport, please put the contact information for the sending party, the receiving party, and the transport coordinator (and any special instructions) in a plastic baggie and tape it around the collar for each animal. This way, if an animal gets away from a transporter and someone finds the dog, all the information is there for immediate contact.

This is a monitored transport. Please CALL Maureen, the transport coordinator, when you have safely handed the dogs off to the next driver!! 816-590-7830
Jean

Post by Jean »

HI Everyone,
If you remember from last week Ranger and Nova were scheduled to be transported last weekend. Well, we had a delay. Ranger developed an URI and there were other problems with the transporters so the transport was delayed. It was so frustrating because we had all the "legs" filled. But, anyway we are working on transport for this weekend.
If anyone knows of anyone who lives between Indianapolis, Indiana and Wichita Kansas it would be appreciated if you could please forward this transport request to them.
Ranger and Nova are doing well. They have so many friends at the clinic. I call for a daily report. I have called so often that they now know my voice.
Thanks for any help you can offer. :) /Jean

CROSSPOSTING APPRECIATED!!!

PLEASE CONTACT CHRISTINE RONKOSKI AT smokeyandchina@earthlink.net IF YOU CAN HELP.
I'm on digest for most groups, so may not see your kind offer!

TRANSPORT HELP NEEDED FOR UP TO 4 DOGS ON 7/19 FROM INDIANAPOLIS, IN TO WICHITA,
KS.
Two dogs, Nova and Ranger are waiting patiently to get to their forever home in
Wichita after being pulled some time ago from a kill shelter just 2 days before
euthanasia. They have all been waiting over 3 weeks for transport! Gas money is
available if needed! Angel and Daisy (Golden Retrievers) are safe in foster care
in St. Louis, waiting to get to their rescue in Colorado. Information on dogs below.

SATURDAY – JULY 19, 2008
**15 minutes have been added between each leg for potty break and transfer**
PLEASE remember to transfer the paperwork with the dogs!! :)

Leg 1
Indianapolis, IN to Terre Haute, IN---FILLED (info to come later)
77.8 mi – about 1 hour 18 mins
7:45 a.m. to 9:05 a.m. (EASTERN)
Email addy:
Home #:
Cell#:
Vehicle:
Meeting Place:

Leg 2
Terre Haute, IN to Effingham, IL---NEEDED
70.2 mi – about 1 hour 13 mins
9:20 a.m. (EASTERN) to 9:35 a.m. (CENTRAL)
Email addy:
Home #
Cell #
Vehicle:
Meeting Place:

Leg 3
Effingham, IL to St. Louis, MO---NEEDED
102 mi – about 1 hour 44 mins
9:50 a.m. to 11:35 a.m. (CENTRAL)
Email addy:
Home #
Cell #:
Vehicle:
Meeting Place:

Leg 4 (Angel and Daisy join the transport here if they come)
St. Louis, MO to Kingdom City, MO---NEEDED
103 mi – about 1 hour 42 mins
11:50 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Email addy:
Home #:
Cell #:
Vehicle:
Meeting Place:

Leg 5
Kingdom City, MO to the Marshall, MO Interchange---NEEDED
68 miles -- about 1 hour
1:45 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.
Email addy:
Home #
Cell #
Vehicle:
Meeting Place:

Leg 6
Marshall, MO Interchange to Kansas City, MO---NEEDED
80 mi – about 1 hour 15 mins
3:00 p.m. to 4:15 p.m
Email addy:
Home#:
Cell#:
Vehicle:
Meeting Place:

FOSTER HOME FOR GOLDENS (IF THEY COME) NEEDED IN KANSAS CITY OR FURTHER WEST. GOLDENS'
FINAL DESTINATION IS COLORADO---NEEDED

Leg 7
Kansas City, MO to Emporia, KS---NEEDED
108 mi – about 1 hour 42 mins
4:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m.
Email addy:
Home #:
Cell #:
Vehicle:
Meeting Place:

Leg 8
Emporia, KS to Wichita, KS---NEEDED
87.8 mi – about 1 hour 25 mins
6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Email addy:
Home#:
Cell#:
Vehicle:
Meeting place:

PASSENGERS #1 and #2
RESPONSIBLE RESCUE GROUP OR PERSON: Margaret O'Connor, with Shih Tzu rescue

e-mail: indytzu@sbcglobal.net

COMING FROM: Indianapolis, IN

GOING TO: Permanent home: Jean in Wichita, KS (e-mail: Jean5601@aol.com)

Ranger's new mom, Jean, writes: "Ranger is a 37# German Shepherd mix dog.
He was on handicappedpet.com when I first saw him. He was scheduled to die and I
spent hours trying to find someone to adopt him. I felt so sorry for him because
he has never had a real home and even after being HBC (hit by a car) did not receive
treatment. He had a broken pelvis and knee but no one bothered to take him in for
treatment. His leg is essentially useless and he drags it behind him. However, he
is able to walk and is a very happy, friendly fellow. Last Saturday I decided to
adopt him and through Internet contacts found someone in a rescue group in Indianapolis
to drive 2 hours to Madison, Indiana to pull him from the Animal Shelter. He was
scheduled to die the following Monday... Now, he is at the vet clinic being boarded.
Please help me get my baby home to Kansas where he can finally have his own family
to love him. It has been 22 days since he and Nova were pulled from the shleter
and we are desperately trying to get them to Kansas.

(Jean's heart also went out to Nova, who was scheduled to die the same day as
Ranger. Now these two lucky dogs need our help to get to their new forever home.)
Passenger #1 -- Ranger
BREED: German Shepherd mix

SEX: Male
SIZE/WEIGHT: Medium 37#
OK WITH DOGS: Ranger is a little snappy with little dogs. But, the first time he
saw Nova, he accepted a kiss from her and they did fine together.
OK WITH CATS: Ranger loves cats.
OK WITH KIDS: Yes, he enjoyed running and playing with the foster mom's grandson.
LEASH TRAINED: Somewhat

SPECIAL NEEDS: Ranger has a lame back leg which he drags behind him. He was likely
hit by a car, or has a congenital defect.
DOES THE DOG RIDE WELL IN A CAR: Yes

ADDITIONAL INFO: Ranger loves people. He loves to be with them. He loves to play
in the yard and lay in the sun.
ITEMS PROVIDED: Paperwork, Collar, Leash (these are required items). Will also
have a harness.
ITEMS NEEDED: Crate if desired - NOT provided. Please provide a water bowl for
your leg of the transport.

REASON FOR TRANSPORT: Ranger was pulled from a high-kill shelter in Madison, IN.
He had only 2 more days to live. I want to provide him a forever home in Wichita,
Kansas.

Passenger #2 -- Nova
BREED: Labrador Retriever mix

SIZE/WEIGHT: Large 60#
OK WITH DOGS: Yes
OK WITH CATS: Chases them a little
OK WITH KIDS: Yes, I think so. The foster said that her grandchildren were there
when Nova was there.
LEASH TRAINED: Needs lots of instruction. Rather exuberant.

SPECIAL NEEDS: No
DOES THE DOG RIDE WELL IN A CAR: Yes, she likes to look out the window !!!

ADDITIONAL INFO: Nova loves to play in the yard. She also loves people.
ITEMS PROVIDED: Paperwork, Collar, Leash (these are required items). Will also
have a harness.
ITEMS NEEDED: Crate if desired - NOT provided. Please supply a water bowl for your
leg of the transport.

REASON FOR TRANSPORT: Nova was pulled from a high-kill shelter. She had only 2
more days to live. She has a forever home in Wichita Kansas eagerly awaiting her.

PASSENGERS #3 and #4

RESPONSIBLE RESCUE GROUP OR PERSON: Jill Joyner

COMING FROM: Dyersburg, TN animal shelter

GOING TO: Approved foster in Kansas City, pending CO transport, on behalf of

Retriever Rescue of Colorado, Inc., P.O. Box 221495, Denver, CO 80222 303-828-7543

Passenger #3 -- Angel
BREED: Aussie/Golden Retriever Mix

SIZE/WEIGHT: Large: 60#

LEASH TRAINED: fairly well
SPECIAL NEEDS: Angel is heartworm positive, so needs to be kept calm. She will
be treated by receiving rescue.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
ITEMS NEEDED: Crate or harness if desired - NOT provided. Please supply a water
bowl for your leg of the transport.
REASON FOR TRANSPORT: Transfer to approved Kansas City foster home, pending final
destination in Colorado.

Passenger #4 -- Daisy
BREED: Golden Retriever

SIZE/WEIGHT: Large: 65#

LEASH TRAINED: yes

ADDITIONAL INFO:
ITEMS NEEDED: Crate or harness if desired - NOT provided. Please supply a water
bowl for your leg of the transport.
REASON FOR TRANSPORT: Transfer to approved Kansas City foster home, pending final
destination in Colorado.
Jean

Post by Jean »

THEY'RE HOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ranger and Nova are finally home. I can barely believe it. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Last Saturday, we had a transport planned but were having problems filling the "legs" of the transport. Sue and her husband George who had fostered Ranger and Nova right after they were pulled from the AS offered to drive them from Indianapolis, IN to Kansas City. I can't believe how much they care about homeless pets. To have them give up their weekend to bring Ranger and Nova to me is just truly AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I still can't believe that they are finally home !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am copying email updates to let you know how they are doing.

Ranger and Nova are doing great.
We were home before 10:00PM. The dogs helped me eat my cheese sandwich and corn chips on the way home. LOL Nova kept reaching over the seat and putting her head on my shoulder. She did fine with Thor. Ranger kept trying to sit in my lap. He calmed down after a while but seemed to need the security of me stroking him the entire trip. They were coughing and sneezing off and on.
When we arrived home, they played in the yard for about a 1/2 hour and then came in and had supper. They have very hardly appetites. : ) Ranger went outside and kept straining and straining to poop but never could do anything. He seems fine now. I'm sure the stress on them was so great.
We slept till 10:00 and then they had breakfast and went out for a while. Nova didn't seem to want to be out of my sight so she came in after a few minutes and has followed me around since. Ranger laid in the sun for about 1/2 hour but then wanted in after it became so hot.
Nova is loose in the house and has accepted my other dogs without any problems. Ranger has been growling off and on so I'm keeping him kenneled accept when I can watch him. I don't want anyone to get off to a bad start. Ranger seems fine with his big kennel it has a thick comforter in it.
I was so exhausted that we slept for a few hours this afternoon.
Ranger and Nova are adjusting so well. I couldn't ask for better dogs.

I took Ranger to see the Vet today. I have never heard Nova bark but she just went crazy whenever she realized Ranger was leaving her. They are so bonded.
I took Ranger to Angel's massage Vet Dr. Mitchell. (Angel is a Shih Tuz that I adopted 2 summers ago from AC in Miami Florida. He was paralyzed at the time but is walking now.) I really like Dr. Mitchell. She has a very big heart.
She did x rays of Ranger's leg and hip. It is so weird, on the xray there is no femoral head. The femoral head is missing and there is nothing in the hip socket. She said they just don't disappear.
It appears that he had a femoral head osteotomy. It is hard to believe since he doesn't appear to have been cared for. (He has scars all over his body and a huge nick out of his ear.) But, what other explanation is there? It is so weird. This surgery is not cheap. It would run at least $1500.00.
But, anyway, Dr. Mitchell is working on certification to become a licensed Veterinarian Physical Therapist. She needs 5 test subjects. She wants Ranger in her program !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He would receive free follow up evaluations, PT visits and detailed instructions for home PT exercises, etc. This is so COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She wants to see Ranger tomorrow to begin a thorough evaluation.
I am off work for 2 weeks and Dr. Mitchell is real close to where we live. It is wonderful that Ranger will get this opportunity. He is so lucky !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /Jean

Ranger had his first therapy session today. The vet wanted to work with him throughout the day so he stayed from 10AM until 6:00PM. She said he was very well behaved. The whole time I was talking to the Vet Ranger was making "google eyes" at the technician and she was feeding him one treat after another. That will put some weight on him. : )
Dr. Mitchell seems so excited about working with him. She did preliminary ROM measures for his bad leg and outlined a treatment plan. This treatment includes ROM, stair walking, working on rising from a sitting position (He never sits he only lies down.) treadmill walking and swimming.
She is offering him 6 weeks of therapy for 2 days a week. She would like him to stay for the entire day when he comes. Everything will be free because she is doing this for her Physical Therapy Certification. After six weeks of therapy she will remeasure him and determine if progress has been made and if therapy is beneficial.
I asked her again if she still felt he had had a femoral head osteotomy. She said she definitely does. She said that she had another vet look at his x ray. The vet confirmed that he had had a FHO. She said there was no way the femoral head could have been totally reabsorbed. I am still "blown away" but that fact. What happened to his owner? The vet confirmed that he is very young so the surgery couldn't have occurred that long ago although she had no idea when the surgery likely occurred.
Angel had a grooming today. This same groomer's shop is next to Dr. Mitchell's massage shop. They had a Schnauzer and Great Dane at their shop. The groomer is fostering the Great Dane and 4 of her puppies that were pulled from a hoarder situation. The Dane weighs less that #40 and should weigh over #100. Dr. Mitchell is fostering the Schnauzer. Dr. Mitchell was the vet called in by AC to evaluate the situation. The Schnauzer has terrible urine stains all over his legs. After 2 baths he still has stained legs and a terrible smell. Dr. Mitchell found out that none of the rescue groups wanted the Schnauzer so she is fostering him. She has a very big heart. It is so COOL to have a vet who is a rescuer. : ) /Jean
PS: When we got home Nova started "screaming" she was so excited to see her "boy." ; )

I want to tell everyone :thankyou: for all the thoughts, prayers and encouraging words that were sent my way. I had so many people that help me adopt them. The shelter in Madison had volunteers that evaluated the dogs and gave me their opinions. Keystone Pet Hospital in Indy was wonderful. They put up with my calling every day to check on them. Our own Carol gave me endless advice and an anonymous donor even provided gas money for the transporter. Last but not least, our own MEK was so supportive. She put up with my endless emails and calmed me whenever I became overly concerned. She connected me with rescue groups who helped to get them pulled from the AS. She was totally awesome !!!!
I am so glad that I decided to adopt them. They are both such sweet dogs and so deserving of a home.

Remember that there are dogs and cats just as deserving as Ranger and Nova at every Animal Shelter in this country.
Summer months shelters are literally "drowning" in pets. Please be a "Savior" to one of these needy animals.
Special needs pets are just as deserving of a home. Please consider adopting a disabled pet. You will NEVER regret it.
Lastly, from this thread on this web site I hope you realize that adopting from even across the country is SO possible.
I will NEVER forget the feeling of finally getting them pulled from the AS and having them transported to safety. :D /Jean
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Congrats! You, and they, sure had a LONG road to get there! What a story! You should submit it to HP Lisa, BTW.

So Ranger's broken leg has an FHO? If so, how bizarre!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Jean, when they grab ahold of our hearts, they never let go.

This happened for a reason, I believe, and you can also believe this:
You didn't find Ranger & Nova, they found YOU.

They picked YOU.

I am so happy for you.

I am heartbroken for Katie's loss, but I also know that she is delightd that her legacy has saved two beautiful lives.

This one is one for the record books.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Jean

Post by Jean »

Edit postDelete postReport this postWarn userInformationReply with quote Re: GS Mix/Handicap/EuthDate 6-20/IN. Kill Shelter
by critters on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Congrats! You, and they, sure had a LONG road to get there! What a story! You should submit it to HP Lisa, BTW.
That would be cool. If someone could be inspired to do a long distance adoption that would be worth it. :D

So Ranger's broken leg has an FHO? If so, how bizarre!
Yes, I know. If someone spent that much on him then where are they?? It just doesn't make sense and Ranger is not that old so it wasn't that long ago.
Visit the Special Critters store at http://specialcritters.tripod.com/ . Now with dog toys and custom-made critter sweaters!
critters

Private message Top
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit postDelete postReport this postWarn userInformationReply with quote Re: GS Mix/Handicap/EuthDate 6-20/IN. Kill Shelter
by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:59 pm

Jean, when they grab ahold of our hearts, they never let go.
I know. It is kinda cool to think that all I had to do was be opened to the possibility and now I have them forever. :D

This happened for a reason, I believe, and you can also believe this:
You didn't find Ranger & Nova, they found YOU.
That is likely true because after I saw Ranger's picture I just couldn't get him off of my mind. Actually I kinda obsessed on him.

They picked YOU.
VERY, VERY TRUE !!!!!!!!!

I am so happy for you.
Thank you Karen.

I am heartbroken for Katie's loss, but I also know that she is delightd that her legacy has saved two beautiful lives.
I cried when I read what you wrote. Her loss is still so fresh even after almost 6 months. I miss her so much and so does Shelby my Heeler. She won't even stay in the yard alone anymore and she and Katie used to play all day outside. But, Nova and Shelby are showing signs that they might just become friends. :D

This one is one for the record books.